Author Topic: Mistborn as a Video Game  (Read 42405 times)

Rezo

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn as a Video Game
« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2010, 04:30:59 PM »
If you guys are planning to make an Mistborn Mod for a game, I'm in.
I can provide textures and some ideas for gameplay.

MajorTom

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2010, 05:22:29 AM »
The main problem with a Mistborn game would be the steel/iron powers.  I can't think of a solution that doesn't involve removing most of their functionality  :-\.

On the subject of a mod, I'm pretty well versed with Maya.  I can model, rig, and animate.  This could be a great project and I'd love to help.

Rezo

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 05, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »
Well, for Iron and Steel powers I see a solution.
When you are flying around in the city, a Spiderman-like system could be used. You don't exactly aim at what object you pull, you would just move "over there" and the character would automaticaly pull/push the metal objects around.
I also strongly suggest to not show the lines to the metal objects, but make these objects glow visibly while burning steel/iron. That would do the trick.
For a fight, well, I see only one possiblity - a combo system like in, for example, Enter the Matrix or even in mentioned Spiderman games. These combos would include all the tricks you can do in Mistborn world, including combos with Iron/Steel disarming, offensive Brass/Zinc attacks and stuff like that.

That's not the problem, if you don't want to have exact control of how the metal is used. But otherwise it's impossible.

And there's one problem I just noticed. If it would be a multiplayer game, we will have to say goodbye to Atium. I think it's obvious, why.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 09:34:16 PM by Rezo »

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 05, 2010, 08:39:08 PM »
And there's one problem I just noticed. If it would be a multiplayer game, we will have to say goodbye to Atium. I think it's obvious, why.
Not really.  Actually showing the single Atium shadow of someone who's not burning Atium would be problematic, but I think just giving a best-guess display based on assuming the character would keep going at his same direction and speed would be a reasonable handwave, and the game-mechanical effect would simply be near (or actually) perfect dodging and accuracy.  For Atium vs Atium, the shadows don't actually show anything useful, so you could just show a ton of random shadows darting everywhere.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2010, 08:48:59 PM »

@Douglas - Not really.  You would just delay the other person's actions and show the shadow at normal speed then have their actual toon delay for a second.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Rezo

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 05, 2010, 09:34:51 PM »
Not really.  Actually showing the single Atium shadow of someone who's not burning Atium would be problematic, but I think just giving a best-guess display based on assuming the character would keep going at his same direction and speed would be a reasonable handwave, and the game-mechanical effect would simply be near (or actually) perfect dodging and accuracy.  For Atium vs Atium, the shadows don't actually show anything useful, so you could just show a ton of random shadows darting everywhere.

I don't see this working. Even the "best guess" system is a stretch, but even if it would do the trick in the game, how would you solve the rest of atium effects?
It's not just looking into the future, it's also processing the information, basically giving your brain an enormous boost. How would you simulate this?
It's, unfortunately, unsolvable - for both multiplayer and singleplayer.
Only one solution I see for this is making Atium an automatic dodge/attack system. You won't really get to see the shadows, but your character will automatically avoid all incoming attacks while burning atium.
That seems like a good idea for me. Many online games give players some kind of "killing-machine-boost" to gain.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 05, 2010, 09:55:47 PM »
Only one solution I see for this is making Atium an automatic dodge/attack system. You won't really get to see the shadows, but your character will automatically avoid all incoming attacks while burning atium.
That seems like a good idea for me. Many online games give players some kind of "killing-machine-boost" to gain.

Apparently you missed the part I'll put in bold here:

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2010, 12:19:00 AM »
I have no clue when it comes to multiplayer, but single player would be relatively easy.  The game already knows what the AI is going to do, it just has to show it a few seconds ahead.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Rezo

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2010, 12:38:10 AM »

Apparently you missed the part I'll put in bold here:

I didn't, I just didn't understand it correctly. I thought you meant showing the player an estimation of how would the enemy behave if he acts like he did before, and the player would have to dodge it manually.

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2010, 03:45:42 AM »
I'm very much against it being a MMO, just saying
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2010, 05:29:45 AM »
I'm very much against it being a MMO, just saying
Oh, most definitely.  The setting simply isn't built to have that many active participants, plus the story is one of the best parts of the series, and reworking it to be an MMO would totally not work.

I have this idea that for most of the game you'd play as Mistborn Vin, but periodically you'd control different characters in order to try out different or limited sets of powers that make think of different ways to play.  Like playing Ham to get the Thug perspective, or Sazed to try out the Feruchemical powers.  Or perhaps you'd play as Elend to have a political game or large scale battles.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2010, 08:01:15 AM »

In contrast to an MMO do you think a more instance based thing would work?

I.E.

You go through and do things solo for the most part, but there are instances you could do with a team of people online against the computer, or even against another group of people online, but for the most part the game was and could be played solo.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #162 on: April 09, 2010, 03:40:21 AM »

In contrast to an MMO do you think a more instance based thing would work?

I.E.

You go through and do things solo for the most part, but there are instances you could do with a team of people online against the computer, or even against another group of people online, but for the most part the game was and could be played solo.

An interesting idea, but playing online, would you have to seek out your own team or be matched by the computer?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 09, 2010, 03:49:27 AM »

I think both should be allowed, some people will want randomness and sometimes you will want to play with a set of friends.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #164 on: April 09, 2010, 04:40:20 AM »
Agreed, but they both have their downsides.  It's hard to organize a group so they're all at the same place at the same time and a random group makes it difficult to organize, period.