Author Topic: Mistborn as a Video Game  (Read 42424 times)

menelausPA

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn as a Video Game
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2009, 06:58:30 PM »
I think a combination of fable and mortal combat would work best.  You could have the questlike structure of fable but i think the fight scenes are so involved, and invoke so many powers that you would need a 3d type battlesystem.  Also, the battles in mistborn seem to have been written with one eye toward the modern kung fu movies like crouching tiger hidden dragon.  Although fable is good at fight scenes i think they would work better with a comple all involved style like mk or dead or alive. 

V for Vendetta

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2009, 11:12:57 PM »
i think a combo of Fable and Oblivion
Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant and vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified!

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »
I think RTS would work well.  One of the buildings would be a beating house where you sent people to try and snap them like the nobles do.  That would probably be a little dark for a game though.

Liam

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2009, 06:34:51 AM »
I think RTS would work well.  One of the buildings would be a beating house where you sent people to try and snap them like the nobles do.  That would probably be a little dark for a game though.
Maybe Preservation's side would have an ability where you can cover all your troops in mist and hope they snap.  And then a couple weeks later you can use them!...after the battle is over.

MistbornINQ

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 02, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »
I am actually thinking of creating a Mod for Oblivion along the lines of Mistborn. With a Mistborn birthsign. It wont be perfect ... But I think I could work it ...

Nblaw95

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2010, 10:05:57 PM »
First post and this thread's probably dead by now, but has anyone ever played Kingdom Hearts? You might be able to pull something lik that off. you could equip metals and weapons like daggers or coins. although i would still make it more like vegas dev said near the beginning of this thread.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2010, 02:26:31 AM »
I love KH, and I think that might be a good idea.  At least when it comes to controls, I think it should be one button is responsible for each metal, but, obviously, some would need to be passive, like copper and bronze, otherwise it would be seriously loaded down.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2010, 02:33:31 AM »
I love Kingdom Hearts, and I think a similar type of controls thing would be awesome, but I think the overall gameplay should be Oblivion-esque. You honestly can't get better than Oblivion for RPGs, which I think Mistborn should be. And the main quest could be like helping the crew overthrow the Lord Ruler. Oh it'd be such a sweet game! They need to get a great graphics team on that stat!
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2010, 03:39:32 AM »
Well, I'm semi-experienced in modding Bethesda's games. I've modded all of them to one extent or another since Morrowind. I was also a part of the (heavily failed) attempt at making a WoT total conversion for Oblivion. Anyway.

With a new Elder Scrolls game supposedly coming out next year (according to very old news, but I'd guess that it will come out in 2011 or early 2012), a sufficiently motivated group of individuals could make a total conversion Mistborn RPG based on the new game engine. It would be very hard work, but it's possible, if very unlikely, that it would be completed before the game engine became obsolete.

I think that the WoT conversion just got some magic, a complete heightmap of Randland, and a few minor cities finished. One problem may have been that everything was actual-scale, making the scope of the mod bigger than Oblivion itself. :P

With proper organization and limitations on such a project, I think that such a project could succeed. The biggest problem I see though, is trying to convert the fairly standard TES magic systems to one of Branderson's crazy-awesome and unique systems. I would personally have an initial goal of a single mission from the first book to see if it could be done at all before continuing development.

For those who don't know, total conversion merely means that the main file shipped with the game is not loaded, with the mod loaded in its place.

Yeah. Getting a game company to pick up the idea is probably more likely than such a mod ever happening, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't support the project!

EDIT: All of this is, of course, assuming that the next Elder Scrolls game will not be an MMO, as has been rumoured.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:41:51 AM by sortitus »
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #144 on: March 12, 2010, 05:47:25 AM »
I did hear that it is indeed coming out later this year from a tech guy at Sony. Apparently they've been given a heads up?? Maybe? Or this guy had just got connections? I'm not really sure. But he said that I want to get a newer model of computers in order to support the new game. (Both comps were relatively the same price so I'm fairly positive he wasn't just trying to get me to buy a more expensive machine.)
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2010, 06:31:22 AM »
Well, they announced at the release of Fallout 3 that TES:V would be out in '10, but they have been so quiet about it since then that I don't really know what is up. Fallout: New Vegas has a definite release date this fall. Did he specifically say Elder Scrolls? I think they might have traded them out because of the commercial success of Fallout 3 (I think it sold more copies than Oblivion). The dearth of information from BethSoft lately has me edgy. ;)

Either way, I'm going to need a new compy to run them. I got my current one to run Oblivion. :P
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Drazhar

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2010, 07:58:21 AM »
I definitely think the game would make better use of the magic/combat system if it were a third person.

rpg seems to slow for the quick Pace of combat that allomancy generates and a first person seems to hard or it would lake the fullness out of steel and iron.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2010, 05:40:54 AM »
I really doubt the first person perspective would be well suited to the Mistborn franchise.  The awesomeness of watching Vin flip about with Iron and Steel would be significantly diminished by, well, not seeing it.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2010, 01:01:32 AM »
Luckily in Oblivion you have an option of either =)
Oh, and sortitus, yeah he specifically said Elder Scrolls. Maybe he was misinformed but that's what I heard...

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2010, 05:06:05 AM »
Square Enix is pretty good with their storylines. I think it would be interesting to see what they'd do if we threw Mistborn at them. I like the idea of making it like Kingdom Hearts. :)