Author Topic: Mistborn as a Video Game  (Read 42403 times)

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn as a Video Game
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2008, 12:19:08 AM »
Quote from: Reaves on Today at 03:27:31 PM
wow sounds like you guys really have something going! btw I love KOTOR if you are looking for inspiration look no further! good luck!

Yes, it was a wonderful game.  Much of the inspiration comes from that as far as alignment goes.

Quote from: elmandr1 on Today at 03:29:41 PM
Which I wholeheartedly support, because I abhor 2d side-scrollers.
Tonight I'll start doing some of the writing when your character first enters Luthadel. Since it's more of a single-player styled game, just played online, we're going to go for a KOTOR-esque conversation system. It should be exciting.

Also, I do have an over-arching plot structure set out. It's going to be very open-ended, but it all plays into the main plotline. You'll love it .

The more you guys talk about this game, the more i wan't in...please

Ha ha.  After a while we may start looking for some people to help with some things, but not for a while.  Also we won't be linking until you can actually do stuff.  ha ha.

Shhh.*places hands on lips.* no need explain, i will wait for you.

ehm. wow, sorry i get like that on mondays.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2008, 12:25:36 AM »
Quote from: Reaves on Today at 03:27:31 PM
wow sounds like you guys really have something going! btw I love KOTOR if you are looking for inspiration look no further! good luck!

Yes, it was a wonderful game.  Much of the inspiration comes from that as far as alignment goes.

Quote from: elmandr1 on Today at 03:29:41 PM
Which I wholeheartedly support, because I abhor 2d side-scrollers.
Tonight I'll start doing some of the writing when your character first enters Luthadel. Since it's more of a single-player styled game, just played online, we're going to go for a KOTOR-esque conversation system. It should be exciting.

Also, I do have an over-arching plot structure set out. It's going to be very open-ended, but it all plays into the main plotline. You'll love it .

The more you guys talk about this game, the more i wan't in...please

Ha ha.  After a while we may start looking for some people to help with some things, but not for a while.  Also we won't be linking until you can actually do stuff.  ha ha.

Shhh.*places hands on lips.* no need explain, i will wait for you.

ehm. wow, sorry i get like that on mondays.
-insert smilie that raises eyebrow insuatively. (Yes, I made that word up.)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2008, 12:25:58 AM »
Not to get you too hyped, but the dialogue is coming along fantastically! You will love it!

The only problem being... writing all those responses for the dialogue trees take a really long time. Though, that just forces me to not rush through them and make them as awesome as possible.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2008, 08:16:45 PM »
As you may have noticed I am having issues even getting on TWG recently.

My life is quite hectic.  I will try and be on TWG daily again, but I will have to stall production until I have more time.  I am just dealing with a lot right now.  I apologize for the delay.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2008, 03:46:50 AM »
Understandable, as my life is quite the same at the moment. Very, very busy. But still, I await news whenever you DO get around to it.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2008, 01:37:40 AM »
 Havent read through the whole thread yet, and have absolutely NO experience with designing/programming games, but heres my 2 cents. I think it would be best as an FPS-like mmorpg, for the computer.

Zinc/Brass I think that it would be cool to have different emotions cause different effects, like debuffs (i.e., rioting fear causes your target to panic, and run away), in addition to dialogue scenes.

Iron/Steel I think that the "bubble" idea (you can push, pull on everything in a certain radius) would be cool, and as for being a mistborn/inquisitor, and burning both at once, the lines could b different colors.

Each metal/feruchemical ability could be a different skill, and level up individually. You could start out as a misting (you choose the metal you start with). There could also be a system that determines which class you are at a later level, feruchemist, inquisitor or mistborn, like in Spore (inquisitor is "evil" path, mistborn is "good" path, and feruchemist is "balanced" path). You could buy or find the metals in the cities, and find coins lying in the streets. You could also buy horseshoes or other "anchors" at stores.

haroldthesage

• Level 2
  • Yes I'm aware my avatar fails to match my username
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2008, 10:50:03 PM »
I always thought that Mistborn would make a better Source style multiplayer game, only without mistborn, only mistings, and haze killers. that would make it so you'd need an incredible amount of strategy and planning. It'd be like team fortress... kind of... you've got your haze killers for spys, your tin eyes for snipers, your pewterarms for raw strength, your coinshots as generic " 'shoot that' 'Okay' ",  your sliders as scouts, smokers as support, seekers as support, lurchers as support... etc. you get the idea.
Fear my obscure references.

It makes me laugh to think of Mistborn testing metals and coming to Cesium

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2008, 03:20:18 AM »
wait, when did we bring sliders into this? were having a hard enough time with the other 12 metals, much less chromium, nicrosil, cadmium and cerrobend into this? Mistborn might be fun as a multiplayer rts, kind of like your idea harold. It wouldnt give you full control of allomancy or feruchemy.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2008, 06:01:53 PM »
RTS? what are you talking about? I suppose you meant FPS? Now I'm confused...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2008, 09:36:55 PM »
FPS might also work, but RTS stands for real-time strategy (like empire earth, etc.)

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 22, 2008, 10:16:49 PM »
Yeah I know, thats why I'm confused  :P

As far as I know the talk was about modding a Mistborn-type game from the Half-life 2 or Counterstrike engine, which uses Source. I believe Harold was saying each person would control a single misting in an FPS-mode, and how that would require a lot of teamwork.

I personally think it would be better to give each player 2 abilities, because some allomantic skills such as seekers and smokers would be completely overlooked. "Yay, I have radar-jamming skillz!" or "Yay, I have radar!" just doesn't seem to exciting to me. Even lurchers probably wouldn't be picked very often.

An mmorpg sounds amazing and something I would love to play, but I don't think its possible considering the resources we have available right now. An RTS would also be very cool, I personally love them, I used to play only RTS's such as Starcraft and Battle for Middle Earth. Empire Earth was fun too but I never played online  :P
But RTS too seems outside our abilities.
A mod, while not quite simple, seems far easier to accomplish. If you have ever played FPS's such as Half-life 2 or Counterstrike: Source you'll be able to see that so many of the things you'd want to incorporate into a mistborn game are already there, such as Pushing/Pulling (Gravity Gun). Things like pewter, copper, and bronze would be even easier to use: a radar is already in place in both of those games and pewter is a simple stat change. For tin it could be a scope you turn on/off, etc.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2008, 02:43:08 AM »
ok, i see what you mean with the "team" thing, that might work better with two metals, than you would really only need to have a team of 8 to have all the metals. Of course, most everyone would choose Iron/Steel or Atium/anything else. Of course, it would be unbalanced to have the god metals, but still nobody would choose the metals like bronze and copper. I think, in that style, you would need to have a "secondary" weapon, like a knife or one handed sword.

RicksterBLM

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 26, 2009, 03:01:07 PM »
has there been any change in this?

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2009, 02:26:54 AM »
Just so people know…I don't have any Fell Points and I can still read this thread, so.…Glitch or something, maybe?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

AGrey

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2009, 04:12:27 AM »
I thought the fell points were to be able to write in the thread, but here i am without any points so...
My old account demented_yam is on the Warbreaker acknowledgments page.  Awesome.