Author Topic: Mistborn as a Video Game  (Read 42399 times)

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn as a Video Game
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2008, 11:33:42 PM »
Wait whats going on Miyabe? Is it like a D&D thing?
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2008, 12:51:01 AM »
Wait whats going on Miyabe? Is it like a D&D thing?
Someone is doing a pen and paper RPG, but we are doing browser based 2D game, then going to hopefully move onto a 3d version of the game.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2008, 01:09:43 AM »
If anyone got confused with Brandon's blog post about a Mistborn RPG and what miyabi and I are doing, well, sorry about the mess-up. The two are completely separate. I blame the fact that "RPG" is a term that can describe both of them, despite one being tabletop and one being a video game.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2008, 07:56:03 AM »
hum, well to make it real time you're going to need a socket sever and unless you're paying for a dedicated sever or have one yourself you're going to have problems finding a place to host it.

Something that's not well known by anyone around here for the past few years is all the forum classes were created for a forum game, that was going to be a flash based mmo type game, we had stats, equipment and such created and attached to a forum profile and even a basic game engine but couldn't get a communication port open that would be needed to make the game online multiplayer.

Another thing that's come up occasionally was creating causal games for bs.com based off of brandon's books that people could embed in blogs and such, but nothing much has come from that.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2008, 02:39:25 PM »
Well for hosting the 2d version of the game we currently have a host with a dedicated IP.  50gigs of space and 1tb of bandwidth.  So for that manner we have more than enough room.  We will however need to get our own server for when we move on to a 3d engine.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2008, 05:21:57 PM »
Also, from what I gather, it's more of a single player experience with this 2d mode, which definitely eases server tension because you can create instances of areas for a specific person.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2008, 07:26:31 PM »
Ah the joys of a dedicated IP, was so late last night I forgot about them.  That's been on thing that's changed over the past few years, how easy it is to get one--heck a Co-Worker has a router that will give him one no matter what is ISP does.  Though on something like this bandwith doesn't matter as much as upload time.

Well it will be intresting to see what you come up with.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2008, 09:34:39 PM »
Ah the joys of a dedicated IP, was so late last night I forgot about them.  That's been on thing that's changed over the past few years, how easy it is to get one--heck a Co-Worker has a router that will give him one no matter what is ISP does.  Though on something like this bandwith doesn't matter as much as upload time.

Well it will be intresting to see what you come up with.
Once we have some basic level of play I plan on giving a link out on the site so that people can come and attempt to play at least. ha ha.  I just finished getting registration scripts written.  I'm going to work on log-in scripts tonight.  Then hopefully a chatbox for players to mess around in and chat with other people. 

Then I'll work on actually making the character attributes and inventories.  Then I'll get a battle system up.  Hopefully I can have this done by next week.  Then create an area to move around in and fight monsters in. :D

Once I have all of that done I will link here so that people can start playing, even though there won't be much for them to do yet.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2008, 09:47:26 PM »
This sounds absolutely great! I was just wishing for something like that to be done.

In my mind a First Person RPG using some of the physics from something like Portal would totally rock, but the 2d side scroller sounds like a lot of fun too!

I'd offer to help, but I'm just an artist.... :D

I wanted to do a flash game from my comic strip but never got around to that either, because I just don't know enough programming. (I've only got C and assembly, and that is only basic knowledge)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2008, 10:34:03 PM »
It's not a side-scroller, it's more like an overhead like the old FF games.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2008, 10:46:21 PM »
Which I wholeheartedly support, because I abhor 2d side-scrollers.

Tonight I'll start doing some of the writing when your character first enters Luthadel. Since it's more of a single-player styled game, just played online, we're going to go for a KOTOR-esque conversation system. It should be exciting.

Also, I do have an over-arching plot structure set out. It's going to be very open-ended, but it all plays into the main plotline. You'll love it :D.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2008, 10:49:59 PM »
Also note that when it does reach a 3d engine it'll be more focused on multi-player play, but will still have a plot you can follow in order to gain access to more instances.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2008, 11:27:31 PM »
wow sounds like you guys really have something going! btw I love KOTOR if you are looking for inspiration look no further! good luck!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2008, 11:29:41 PM »
Tonight I'll start doing some of the writing when your character first enters Luthadel. Since it's more of a single-player styled game, just played online, we're going to go for a KOTOR-esque conversation system. It should be exciting.

Also, I do have an over-arching plot structure set out. It's going to be very open-ended, but it all plays into the main plotline. You'll love it .

The more you guys talk about this game, the more i wan't in...please :-*
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2008, 11:36:54 PM »
wow sounds like you guys really have something going! btw I love KOTOR if you are looking for inspiration look no further! good luck!
Yes, it was a wonderful game.  Much of the inspiration comes from that as far as alignment goes.

Also, I do have an over-arching plot structure set out. It's going to be very open-ended, but it all plays into the main plotline. You'll love it .

The more you guys talk about this game, the more i wan't in...please :-*
Ha ha.  After a while we may start looking for some people to help with some things, but not for a while.  Also we won't be linking until you can actually do stuff. :D ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。