Author Topic: Mistborn as a Video Game  (Read 42438 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn as a Video Game
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2008, 02:07:58 AM »
I don't like MUDs. 3d would be muchly better. But, yes, do keep us updated.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2008, 06:53:39 AM »
K  Well I talked to the big guy (he is pretty big) =) today and he said he's game. Anyone want to work on making sprites for us?  I hate making sprites, they annoy me.  I mean I COULD make them. . . BUT I would much rather write and code. ha ha.  If you are interested in helping in anyway just send me an e-mail.

<<<<<<<<< The link is over there.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Korda

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • renderosity gallery
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2008, 07:13:02 AM »
If you ever do need a 3D guy, I wouldn't mind helping. Also have you heard of Game Maker? its for 2D games mostly but its dead easy to make decent games with it. also have you thought of using flash? thats also easy to program for. I made a stealth action game in flash in a month or two with next to no experience in coding(I'll even give you the code to get you started if you want 8)).
Ill see if I can get a link going for it...

gamemaker:
www.yoyogames.com/make
mygame:
http://opax.swin.edu.au/~6498094/GenericAssassinManEXTREME/GenericAssassinManEXTREME(Final).html
Wisdom cannot be found in a single sentence...

...You need at least two.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2008, 07:08:43 PM »
The first incarnation of the game will be done in PHP and will run similar to a MUD, it will simple have graphics displayed instead of just text. 
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2008, 04:17:32 AM »
Well, since Brandon's recently signed up with Crafty Games to make a Mistborn RPG (see his recent blog entry for details), we ought to be able to expect a good bit of world-expanding resource information to hit next year sometime.

And honestly, if he hasn't signed the license to a developer yet, I expect that by this time next year his  increased name recognition and the tabletop game will make it a lot easier to do so. I just hope he gets the best people interested in it, and not some 3rd-rate platform factory.

Personally I'd like to see something in a free-roaming 3rd-person action/adventure game with some RPG elements. Something like Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed with taller buildings (and more to do... god, that game needed more content). I think Ubisoft could make a killer Mistborn game.

Give me Luthadel and maybe a couple small surrounding territories to play in, set me up with the full Mistborn allomancy package, and let me loose. That's the game for me.

;D

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2008, 06:54:40 AM »
Personally I'd like to see something in a free-roaming 3rd-person action/adventure game with some RPG elements. Something like Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed with taller buildings (and more to do... god, that game needed more content). I think Ubisoft could make a killer Mistborn game.

Give me Luthadel and maybe a couple small surrounding territories to play in, set me up with the full Mistborn allomancy package, and let me loose. That's the game for me.

Amen to that.  Assassins Creed had an awesome story and graphics.  The gameplay was great too, but it was the same thing like 10 times in a row and needed something else to flesh it out.  It was almost as if Ubisoft got the gist of the story down and then couldn't think of what to do next.  Luckily they have other similar games that prove they can do it right (specifically the Splinter Cell series).  I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for them to do a great Mistborn game.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2008, 07:06:34 AM »
I liked AC as a playground. The game just needed to provide more excuses for wandering around and playing in the sandbox. I mean, there's just acres of gorgeous modeling and these awesome little neighborhoods in every city, places where I just loved to stop and look around and go, "this is so cool"... but there's so very few reasons to be there.

And yeah, the mini-missions required to unlock each target got old super-fast. They could have couched 'em in different ways to at least break up the monotony, but no...

For sheer sandbox running about though, it's sweet. I just wish I wasn't required to make up my own missions (like soldier-baiting scenarios) in order to get more mileage out of it. And I'm sorry, but flag-chasing blows.

OH, and once you figure out the timing for counters with the assassin's blade, the combat is totally broken. I mean, you become a complete bad-ass (basically every fight is you getting surrounded, and every time someone tries to hit you it's dodge, counter, and instant-kill them with your little spring-loaded stiletto in some entertaining fashion, until you run out of bad guys or they all run away shrieking in fear. Oh, and anytime one of them runs or gets distracted, they're open for a jumping kill, which makes you look even more awesome), but it gets tiresome. I actually got bored with being a bad-ass. Now that ain't right.

You can even use it in boss fights... which admittedly, made for a super cathartic ending when the final boss ran through that whole LONG-ASS speech, finally went to fight me with his fancy sword work, and I stirred his brain with my needle through his chin.

But still, broken.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:16:48 AM by Inkthinker »

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2008, 07:31:01 AM »
Once we move up to a 3D model (Which I hope to get to within a year) the main concept will be.

-200 years before TLR's downfall
-People being able to uses all 'races'
-Dynamic class systems (includes all Mistings and Feru and Hazekillers, etc.)
-Ability trees for each 'class' that will make all character types playable
-A way to lean yourself more towards TLR or The Resistance (different missions give points)
-It will be free-roaming
-There will also be instances you can run with a party
-There will be PVP
-the list goes on

We're starting to get a shell for the 2d version of the game. ;D  We may have something in a month - month and a half that is playable.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2008, 05:27:59 PM »
I'm going to be doing the writing for the quests and primary storyline. Miyabi and I have already come up with some cool ideas. I don't really want to give out details, since Hero of Ages could change certain elements.

However, I will tell you that the tentative title is Mistborn: The Sliver of Infinity. I think it fits quite well with the naming schemes of the books, and because the Lord Ruler is alive and well, it makes perfect sense to be called that.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2008, 05:58:59 PM »
I'm already excited! Keep up the good work guys!  :)

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2008, 08:37:15 AM »
Definitly cans see it as an rpg. In the same sense as oblivion, where one could choose his race and gender. In this case though, it would be gender, then i would think a choice between a Feruchemist, Allomancer, an inquistor and even a Koloss! Not so sure if anyone would want to be a Kandra--not enough DOability. IT could even branch out and have a Fable like approach where the player can choose to be evil or good--even if they are an Inquistor(i will always have hope for you Iron-eyes).

The greatest part though, is that the story of MB is so vast, the events of the tale are so...spacious. That the game wont be binding--like most games that come from books or movies turn out to be. However, i have a good feeling about MB. Reason being, is that it....well lets just list all of the major, action packed things that have occured already. A Revolt. A Revolution(in consequence). A Seige(this opens up oppurtunities for Assasinations. An Epic Battle. And a Worldly Discovery. And! Its not over!

In short, Mistborn=Assassin's Creed, Fable, Oblivon. :o

"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2008, 09:56:41 PM »
We have discussed everything you talked about in your post already.  ha ha.  As per how it's going to happen, you'll just have to wait and see. :D
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

schneb

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
Once we move up to a 3D model (Which I hope to get to within a year) the main concept will be.

-A way to lean yourself more towards TLR or The Resistance (different missions give points)
-It will be free-roaming
-There will be PVP
-the list goes on

We're starting to get a shell for the 2d version of the game. ;D  We may have something in a month - month and a half that is playable.

I hate to be one who rains on parades, but before anybody goes too far with this, there are legal questions to be answered.  Since this is based on works by Brandon Sanderson, you might want to get permission from him in writing before you break his copyright.  Copyright laws come into play even if you aren't planning on selling this or making any profit, since anything you do with it would compete with anything that Brandon may want to explore in the future.  Brandon seems like a nice guy and may grant you permission, but it should be his decision on whether to allow you to play in his world or not.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2008, 10:51:23 PM »
We have discussed everything you talked about in your post already.  ha ha.  As per how it's going to happen, you'll just have to wait and see.

*blush*

"Ehm" he coughs in imbarrasement. "I was not being redundent, i was just simply emphasising the matter!" And that was him trying patheticaly to salvage the remains of his pride.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2008, 11:26:49 PM »

-It will be free-roaming
-There will be PVP
-the list goes on

I hate to be one who rains on parades, but before anybody goes too far with this, there are legal questions to be answered.  Since this is based on works by Brandon Sanderson, you might want to get permission from him in writing before you break his copyright.  Copyright laws come into play even if you aren't planning on selling this or making any profit, since anything you do with it would compete with anything that Brandon may want to explore in the future.  Brandon seems like a nice guy and may grant you permission, but it should be his decision on whether to allow you to play in his world or not.
I'm way ahead of you.  He already gave the go ahead. ;)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。