Author Topic: Mistborn as a Video Game  (Read 42407 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn as a Video Game
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2008, 12:25:30 AM »
yeah, an RPG type game would be tight but i don't think it would be practical to do. I think a pure PVP would be far more doable to accomplish well.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2008, 01:52:14 AM »
yeah, an RPG type game would be tight but i don't think it would be practical to do. I think a pure PVP would be far more doable to accomplish well.
I think one that could be played both ways would be amazing.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2008, 02:14:30 AM »
It would be crazy hard to make. the problem is classes.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2008, 08:14:59 AM »
I don't think so, they're actually quite well lined out. You have all the different classes of Mistings, all the Haze Killers, and Mistborn. The difficulty is getting them all to work together against the mistborn like they're supposed to, and that's just AI. Getting that to work in Multiplayer would actually be harder, because you'd have to get the players to cooperate with each other to a pretty big extent. Still that could work out as a really fun challenge. But you can't really balance a Mistborn with any one of the others, because Mistborn are supposed to be more powerful; that's why the others work in groups.

So for that, it might be fun, in multiplayer, or in co-op rpg, to have a group of mistings or hazekillers go after a mistborn, either player or computer controlled.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2008, 10:14:48 AM »
Everyone would want to be mistborn though, could it be achieved by doing a certain quest or playing for long enough? I say MMO is the way to go, make the RPG separate.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2008, 09:24:49 PM »
Everyone would want to be mistborn though, could it be achieved by doing a certain quest or playing for long enough? I say MMO is the way to go, make the RPG separate.
If you look back a few pages I talk about how classes would be leveled out and that only people who were going to put a lot of time into the game would actually end up wanting to be Mistborn.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2008, 07:57:06 AM »
A few of the people in my programming classes are into the Mistborn books.  I'll see what we could possibly do about getting a group together to start working on a game.  I think it MAY start as a simply browser based PHP game done in similar style to http://www.phantasyrpg.com and then eventually move onto something 3D, depending on the amount of people we could attract to the game.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2008, 06:27:01 PM »
wanted to see if i actually needed a fell point to post in this thread...guess not
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2008, 07:37:45 PM »
A few of the people in my programming classes are into the Mistborn books.  I'll see what we could possibly do about getting a group together to start working on a game.  I think it MAY start as a simply browser based PHP game done in similar style to http://www.phantasyrpg.com and then eventually move onto something 3D, depending on the amount of people we could attract to the game.

Weren't you already part of a group that were going to create a Mistborn mod using HL2?
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2008, 08:24:39 PM »

Weren't you already part of a group that were going to create a Mistborn mod using HL2?
Yes, but then they all suddenly disappeared, so I decided I was going to take the initiative myself to start a group of people I actually know.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2008, 03:39:49 PM »
I haven't read through the whole topic (forgive my laziness), but has it come up that mistborn would make a pretty sweet MUD? I don't play them too much, but I can't see a graphical game really doing it justice because of the limitations, whereas a MUD is a bit more free to do what it will.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2008, 05:19:45 PM »
I haven't read through the whole topic (forgive my laziness), but has it come up that mistborn would make a pretty sweet MUD? I don't play them too much, but I can't see a graphical game really doing it justice because of the limitations, whereas a MUD is a bit more free to do what it will.
I don't like MUDS.  But the browser based form to start with that I was talking about is SIMILAR to MUDs but just puts a picture on a map for you so you actually know where you are.

As far as 3D.  Anything is possible if you have the programmers and the people playing have the disc space and RAM.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2008, 08:28:30 PM »
I don't like MUDS.  But the browser based form to start with that I was talking about is SIMILAR to MUDs but just puts a picture on a map for you so you actually know where you are.

As far as 3D.  Anything is possible if you have the programmers and the people playing have the disc space and RAM.

yes, but graphical is more limited in and of it takes more man hours and more work to do increasingly complex things, as opposed to a MUD, which takes a little imagination to put words into text, and some simple case statements.

I've made games, both texty and graphically (nothing to write home about, but was fun to dink around with in college.) and find from experience that graphical games require much more work the more you want to do. Personally, I'm not a big fan of MUDs either, but I don't think anything 3D could capture to full of mistborn very easily. (as an FYI, I'm not a PROFFESIONAL game designer, though that would be awesome. I'm just a regular software engineer, so i know how to program, it's just that game programming requires alot ALOT more work into it than, say, a finiancial program.)

Obviously anything is possible if you put your mind to it when making something, as long as you have the skill and imagination to do so, it's just that the more complex you get, the less feesible it becomes because of the increase to workload.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2008, 11:07:51 PM »
Well see, my friends and I are majoring in software development/gaming SOOOOOOOOOOO this will be good for a resume for us. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2008, 11:40:39 PM »
Good luck and keep us updated. Its been a while since I found a new game I liked.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"