Author Topic: Mistborn as a Video Game  (Read 42416 times)

ski309

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn as a Video Game
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2008, 03:32:12 PM »
For a mistborn game's magic system to be as close to the book's as possible, it would NEED to have context-sensitive controls, ala Assassin's Creed.  Even with the heap of buttons on the 360 and PS3 controllers, there wouldn't be enough to pull off full control of allomancy and still have room left for other controls (running, jumping, etc).

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2008, 09:06:30 PM »
Maybe you could like... equip different metals, like you can use 4 of them at once max?? Idk... confusing
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2008, 11:48:25 PM »
I don't think it's having multiple metals on that's the problem, it's the complexity of steel and iron, with all the possible actions you can take.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

The Incredible Thorbear

• Level 2
  • I'm like the hammer of Thor, but actually a bear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2008, 03:26:50 AM »
I think something along the lines of Planescape: Torment or Baldur's Gate 2 would be great. I have not read Mistborn yet, I just started on Elantris.. however, I just wish there would be more games like Planescape: Torment and BG2. I have not played any RPG even remotely close to those two in awesomeness.

Look on my Works ye Mighty, and despair!

Seradan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2008, 10:13:44 PM »
If I were programming it, I would need to do it on the computer.. Consoles just don't have the buttons to allow the flexibility that I'd like to see in a system like this...

Basically, I would set it up like a First Person game, since  they would allow for more versatility in the movements and actions... Mouse control to move the sight... Right click would lock viewpoint and make the mouse move within the current viewpoint for the sake of selecting a given 'strand' when steel or iron are activated... Selection of the powers would be done via hotkeys, with flares controlled by hitting it twice in rapid succession...

Any metallic object would be given a variable that would indicate its weight, and when fed in an appropriate algorithm, would equate to a semi-translucent bluish beam of relative width when you have Iron or Steel activated... Atium would be done with a bullet-time like system where a semi-translucent shade would be the actual form, and the real would just be a second or two behind it, but capable of being killed..

Emotional Allomancy could be used both in conversations and possibly as a sort of 'jedi mind trick' style thing, where you could increase / decrease the hostility of someone... Imagine the fun of being a rioter and just sitting back and making a guard freak out on a guy for no reason to get into some place without having to kill someone...

Pewter would both increase your attack damage, reduce your damage taken, and when flared, allow you to continue playing even after your life / hp / stamina / whatever is used is depleted... Decrease / eliminate your chances of falling while balanced precariously or something as well...

Hmmmm, the more I think about it, the more I believe it would be a fairly complicated system to actually play effectively, unless you dumbed it down... But the potential fun that you could have in a sandbox like design would make it well worth it, in my opinion... A lot of the concepts would be fairly easily represented, the only thing that I think would prove a challenge for a game designer would be to make zooming through the air, and effective pushing / pulling into a fun thing... I would definitely do it as a first person game though, I don't think that anything else could do the combat / air travel justice.

Chrys

• Level 1
  • Allomancy AND Alchemy Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2008, 11:52:05 PM »
I agree with Rhuan, in that it would probably work best as a computer game. There's more than enough buttons on a keyboard, and you also have your mouse to use. It would still need a lot of working on, but you wouldn't be limited by the number of buttons.
Holy Dannish waffles!

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2008, 06:23:51 AM »
You could use hotkeys to activate steel or iron, and then use the mouse (right and left click) to push and pull.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2008, 07:41:48 PM »
I know one of the most of the discussion here has been related to how the interaction between steel/iron would play into effect, since that is a big part of what would be the combat system.  I think it's particularly difficult to imagine how the controls for this aspect of the game would function.

Thus, I think people might find this interesting.  It's a game company doing the new Spider Man game.

The big selling point of this game seems to be that the combat system works as it should with Spider Man.  I think this is similar to how the push/pulling could work in a Mistborn game.  It will be interesting to follow this game and see how it turns out.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2008, 11:03:31 PM »
To the anti-MMORPG people, ,this idea may make you happy :)
3 different classes, pure PVP type game, Feruchemist vs Allomancer vs Inquisitor :) If you don't mind the fallout of the story and just enjoy blowing people apart it would be hella fun. This way everyone could be happy, and the strengths/weaknesses of each class would play into it (although you'd have to wait for HoA to make the Inquisitors) Allomancers needing metals, Feruchemists needing to store stuff (sped up of course) and Inquisitors needing what they need + rest after each battle. Pure PVP type game. Allomancers could only have a limited supply of metals in battle, Feruchemists only being able to store so much of all attributes, and Inquisitors just as they are. You'd have to incorporate a level system, each level having a different PVP arena and supply of metals/attributes/Inquisitor stuff.

For the iron/steel thing I think it should be like the targeting system in Advent Rising. Flick that way select that line go, flick another go that way, and holding a certain button for a certain length determines the distance. Flick+the button while "flying" through the air to grab onto something else metal, with the solidity of the line determining whether or not it will hold you. I would enjoy either an RPG, MMORPG or a Morrowind type game. I think the ability to move around the environment as you will would make it a GREAT game. Doing whatever you want would be AWESOME!!! I think an Assassins Creed type with the targeting for steel/iron from Advent Rising with the freedom of environmental action would make it perfect. It would have to be on PC or an EXTREMELY complicated control setup for console. The downfall with PC would the be movement. I've only played WoW form my MMORPG experience and if it was similar to that it would fail.

That's my take
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Hoeya

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2008, 03:43:14 AM »
When I read this book, I envisioned more of a paper and pencil style DnD gameplay, as well as a movie. It would be fairly easy to work off the 3.5 ruleset and create a lot of the elements involved in the book. But then again, I am fairly old-school.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2008, 05:09:04 PM »
I actually think that this would work as an MMO.

I saw many people earlier just put the topic off and not discuss it,
saying that it just wouldn't work.

However,
if you look at online Star Wars games,
Star Wars Galaxies,
they have many classes,
and not everyone becomes Jedi.

I think the main thing people were seeing as a problem was that everyone would want to be Mistborn.
I don't think this would be a problem if we had all the Misting abilities as classes,
especially if the leveling system,
when you're a Mistborn,
would make you pick and choose which abilities to level up.

That would cause them to have to spread out their points,
whereas regular Mistings could pump everything into their one ability.
This would balance things out,
as well cause not too many people to be Mistborn,
only the hardiest gamers would want to play them,
and they would take quite a while to play correctly.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2008, 02:43:52 AM »
mm...maybe u start as a misting but depending on what choices you make you can become a full mistborn, hemalurgist, or feruchemist. Hybrid magic systems would be reserved for NPC's like Lord Ruler and Vin.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2008, 05:27:02 AM »
Yeah, Hybrid systems would be way to GM to give to normal players.  I'm not sure I like the idea of becoming things by how you play.  I think you should be able to chose.  Like, I'm SURE there are people who would want to be inquisitors, or people who would want to be a feruchemist.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2008, 06:37:06 AM »
I still think it should be pure PvP type, the misting more points thing is a great idea, I just think that all out war between Inquisitors, Mistborn, and Feruchemist would be tiiiiiiight!
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2008, 06:58:35 AM »
I still think it should be pure PvP type, the misting more points thing is a great idea, I just think that all out war between Inquisitors, Mistborn, and Feruchemist would be tiiiiiiight!
Yes, exactly the idea of an MMO.  There could be massive instances or raids between different houses.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。