Author Topic: Mistborn as a Video Game  (Read 42415 times)

y2day

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn as a Video Game
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2008, 06:58:58 PM »
First Post  ::)

I'm 3/4  through Mistborn. The Rebel army has been mostly destroyed and the Lord Ruler has just finished the public executions.

Last night as I reluctantly closed the book, placed it on my nightstand, then stretched to turn of the lamp (which my wife was very grateful for) the thought struck. Mistborn would be a hell of a video game! It took me atleast another hour to fall asleep with images of controlling a mistborn running through my head.
I would love to see it set up like Morrowind. Open ended world, work for who you want, a noble house, rebels, theives, or the Lord Ruler himself. Of corse you could follow the story, but you wouldn't have too, just like morrowind. Become a rich nobleman, a famous asassian, infamous thief, or what ever you want. Morrowind was great, better than Oblivion.

There for a second last night i thought i might have had an original idea. Then moments later as i drooled on to my pillow i realized "damn I'm too late". I was sure others had read this book before i stumbled onto it and would have naturally jumped to this conclusion. I see that i was right, which actually happens more times than not, no matter what my wife thinks. I'm very pleased to find that it appears the author actually post on this site.  That is just cool. I have dreamed of becoming a writer since i was a kid. To bad i jumped into life head first (married at  19 kids @ 20).
Still write when i can.. well i'm rambling, just wanted to make the first post count i guess. .... anyway

i would just like to say. Great Book so far.  ;D
What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 04:49:21 PM »
I think that if something based on Mistborn was made by Bioware, that would be the best of everything. Mass Effect had a great dialogue system. Combine that with emotional Allomancy and you can have some real fun.

Though there needs to be a multiplayer battle mode. Even if it's an action-RPG, there must be multiplayer.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »
I've only read book one, so I can't comment about everything, but I've been thinking a little bit...

Looking at  VegasDev's idea above, tbh, I don't really like them, the sound to me like far too little control, a limitation of oneor perhaps two total pushes and pulls at a time, pushing an pulling by pointing in a general direction and the game engine deciding if there's anything their rather than selecting blue threads, it just seems like an underselling of the book to me.

If I were playing a game based on mistborn, I would  want to be able to choose which metals to burn at all times, having to manage metal stocks would be interesting.

As for control schemes, I think that to use iron and steel, you'd need some kind of pointer to select which thread, any other method would be clunky in my opinion, this rules out the 360 and the ps3 as they have no pointer, so, it's either the Wii or a Computer (a mouse would make a fine pointer). I mention the Wii, but, I'm not sure if it would have the  power to handle the type of game fans of this book would want, the ability to push and pull on any metal object would be a must as would fights involving multiple mistborns and many mistings, these would get very complicated, in addition to this, I don't think the Wii (or any other console) would have enough buttons to handle weapons of varying kinds, (coins, knifes, stuff off of the ground, vials of metal), and all of the allomancy at the same time.

Therefore, I think that realistically it would have to be a computer game. Number keys trigger metals on/off, when burning iron/steel, you could use the mouse as a pointer, left click = push, right click = pull. (even this wouldn't be perfect, as you should be able to push on one thing while pulling on another, or even push on ten things while pulling on ten other things), I guess you could start pulling on something by left clicking on it's blue thread, and stop pulling on it by clicking on it again, but for something like that to work, you'd probably need slow motion, perhaps some kind of level up system, with the higher the level you reach the slower you can make the action run, of course this wouldn't wok for multiplayer.

I wouldn't want atium to change game speed much if at all, I'd just want the shadows to appear, and it would be a case of reacting to what you see.

Anyway, I'm a 17 year old who's dabbled slightly in amateur game making, I don't have a team, I don't have the skill, I don't have the time and I don't have the equipment to make anything like what I've just described., if I were to make something it would have to be 2d, and would therefore be absolutely rubbish compared to what it should be.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 09:46:52 PM »
I think the magic system in Mistborn may be a little too complicated for a video game, maybe when virtual reality helmets come in, then we'll have a platform to work with.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 10:58:16 PM »
the magic system is pretty complicated but the ones that are gonna be the hardest to get right are iron/steel. i definately don't think its realistic to have the player being able to control each and every single blue thread as needed. its simply too much. i think i like the idea of combining elements of oblivion/morrowind and assasins creed to try to get a good system for combat.

i'm thinking that coins would be like arrows and you can shoot coins and pick how many to shoot etc. oh and countering like you would in assasin's creed in certain situations (like a hazekiller taking a swing at you and you press x to dodge and then put a dagger in him). thats really all i've got. jumping around the city and controlling multiple objects is beyond me.  :(

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 12:15:42 AM »
To be honest, the more I think about it, the more I think that a game of Mistborn would be disappointing to anyone that had read the book, there's  just no way to do it right.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 02:38:03 AM »
Amen.  I also think there's just too much book to fit into a movie.  True, it would be condensed when the action scenes are converted to action instead of words, where several seconds can take up several pages, but I don't think a movie would do it justice either.  It would be cool though.  Way cool.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 03:48:51 PM »
I agree that a game would be tough, as well.  However, a movie has a chance if it was set up as a trilogy.  The good part is that the first book was set up to be one story, so if it didn't make money they wouldn't need to worry about making the other two; only those of us who read the books would know that the Lord Ruler's death was only the beginning.   I think it would be a good movie trilogy, as long as Brandon had a strong say in the script and a Peter Jackson or Steven Spielberg type Producer/Director was involved.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Shost

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 05:39:26 AM »
ya definately got to get brandon involved. i get the feeling that paolini didn't have much say in the Eragon movie cause they slaughtered the story in that one. i'd hate to see that happen to mistborn.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 06:45:22 PM »
The movie would also need to be more than just two hours in length. At the very least, you'd need to have it 2 and a half, if not three, to be on the scale with LOTR. You just can't expect any lengthy novel to be condensed very effectively. Three is hard enough to get right, but if you cut stuff too far down, then the proper story will be slaughtered.

That's the difficulty with changing mediums--getting it right. There are so many ways you can go wrong. I would hate to be the screenplay writer or a video game developer who had to balance all of that stuff the book has and, on top of that, try to make it effective for its own medium.

However, for the difficulty of steelpushing/ironpulling, you could have some sort of mechanic where you could have like, an "effective" radius. So, if a Coinshot pushed a slew of coins on you, you could have some sort of reticule on the screen with a circle around it--the circle being what you can push. You could push them all away with a single button press if you wanted, but you'd have to make sure you weigh enough so you don't get into a pushing match.

You could switch from effecting single pieces of metals to an area-effect thing like that. That way you don't have to worry about controlling each object individually (which would be impossible).

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 08:38:26 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of the leaping around with Iron and Steel.

I don't mind if certain parts of the book are omitted in the movie.  What upsets me is when they add things in that didn't happen (Haldir at Helm's Deep, Frodo telling Sam to screw, etc), or they give characters the roles of lesser characters to make the story less "confusing" (Arwen saving Frodo instead of Glorfindel, I am such a nerd).  I hate to think that the number of semi-intelligent people in the world is so small that everything has to be dumbed down to a 10 character or less movie.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2008, 02:20:25 PM »
My dad always complains about that, too. He's the biggest LOTR book fan there ever was, it's scary.

Hmmm, leaping with steel and iron. I'm thinking on how that would work right now...

Serif

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2008, 07:08:34 AM »
target by using a joystick on preselected things u can jump to/from ( like auto targeting in some games) and then A or X depending on what system ur using( wii just wave towards what u want i guess)

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2008, 08:46:43 PM »
I agree it would be incredibly complicated, but a Mistborn game for Wii would be awesome.  You could push a button to use your metals and push and pull with your controller to use them and control them...combat would be awesome...probably impossible to actually make work, but in theory it would be awesome. 

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2008, 11:39:38 PM »
Glorifindal was one of my favorite minor characters, and I didn't even like arwen very much.  I think Mistborn would make a good movie, if they could fit everything important in, I mean, it's a big book, then again, lots of the action scenes would be condensed in time, because they wouldn't need as much explanation.  And Brandon would have to be very involved, we wouldn't want another Eragon or Harry Potter 5, no would we.

As for the game, I dunno, if they could pull it off, it would be one of the first on my buy lists, even if they didn't I would probably still give it a try.  Only time will tell.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier