Author Topic: A Few Lessons Learned from Publishing in America  (Read 2070 times)

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
A Few Lessons Learned from Publishing in America
« on: March 22, 2007, 03:59:01 PM »
Came across this in the show notes for a podcast I listen to.

A Few Lessons Learned from Publishing in America By Olga Gardner Galvin
http://writingshow.com/?page_id=45

Some things I found interesting, such as "Any author owes it to himself to try every route available to get his book published by one of the big players. Only after he has exhausted all the avenues into the big presses, should he consider alternative publishing."

But overall her view seems rather bleak for authors.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: A Few Lessons Learned from Publishing in America
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:57:02 PM »
This made me laugh.  (From "Podcast: A Small Publisher Bucks the System, Part 2" with Olga Gardner Galvin.)  Quoted a bit out of context --

7:21 into podcast

Paula:
Why is it that books that seem so distasteful to the average person end up being called literature?

Olga:
That's a good question.  In my experience in big publishing novels are called literary --now that's the word "literary" not so much "literature"-- literary to give them an excuse to have no discernible plot for stories, which is compensated for by unreadable, pompous style.

(Comments about it being hard to edit a literary book because it will be unreadable and the author will fight about every word.)

When an author has a story to tell it's easier to edit his style and to point out to him where a style may be getting in the way of the story, or may not be doing the story or the character justice, because he has higher goals than this word or this comma [being] just so.  He has a story and a character which are more important.  In a literary novel frequently there are no characters and no plots to fight over so -- [mimicking the literary author arguing with the editor]"Oh, no, I meant this word here, even  it doesn't mean what the dictionary says it means.  No, I'm using this word in a different meaning . . ."

Literary critics put a lot of intellectual stock into being literary.  It's really a very silly distinction and mostly it is propagated by intellectually insecure people who like to be perceived as readers of "literature" rather than of just plain fiction.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: A Few Lessons Learned from Publishing in America
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 01:16:50 AM »
Ha ha ha ha... I dread ever having to work on something "literary" like that.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!