Author Topic: Mistborn Wallpaper One  (Read 7581 times)

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn Wallpaper One
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 07:12:59 PM »
"I like it."

"He likes it! Mikey, he likes it!"

(Animaniacs)

I have to agree, the first is better than the second. Maybe if we had a different view of the Inquisitor and a quote from one of them instead of the Lord Ruler... Like where he's looking straight ahead with one of those scary, creepy, creepy smiles.

I thought he was wearing glasses until I looked closer.

vadia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 07:28:41 PM »

I have to agree, the first is better than the second. Maybe if we had a different view of the Inquisitor and a quote from one of them instead of the Lord Ruler... Like where he's looking straight ahead with one of those scary, creepy, creepy smiles.

I thought he was wearing glasses until I looked closer.

The most effective pose to show the nails would be at (assuming straight on is a 0 degree angle) a 110-135 degree angle so that you can see the side of the face -- see no glasses are holding in the nails and have the backs of the nails stick out of the eyes. 

But fundamentally I believe that it's hard to see what they are without knowing ahead of time.  The guy in the corner of the book merely looks blind to me.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 07:34:57 PM »
The menacing fellow on the book cover is merely an Obligator, not an Inquisitor, actually. He's got all these tatoos and such, but no spikes like an Inquisitor. Obligators are more the beaurocratic arm of the Lord Ruler if you remember, instead of the militant-mystical arm like the Inquisitors. ;)

Oh, here's an interesting bit of insider info, though: Brandon said that the idea to put an Inquisitor on the cover was discussed, but that it was decided it would just turn out too "gruesome" so they went w/ an Obligator instead.

Edit: If you want to see an Iquisitor in a more "real life" fashion, check out this thread I started a while ago:  http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=5089.0
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 07:37:44 PM by Shrain »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
I seem to recall having seen the version with the nails through the eyes.  Did I dream that up, or was it posted a while back?

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 07:39:58 PM »
I dunno, Parker. If so, I don't think I ever saw it. But I would sure be interested in checking it out if an actual Mistborn I sketch was done showing a member of the Steel Priesthood.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »
Check this thread out:

http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=4577.0

There's some allusions to the cover with spikes.  But I forget where I saw it.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 09:07:57 PM »

The problem with the #2 wallpaper is mostly just my weak Photoshop.  I couldn't get the spikes to match the face right, and so I had to use a filter.  It would look much better drawn, I think, but I'm even worse at drawing than photoshoping. 

Mostly, it was just me having fun.  I intend to try again one of these days.  We shall see what I come up with.

Oh, and here's a link to a 1600 by 1200 version of wallpaper one, Morinar:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/graphics/MistbornWallpaper1600.jpg

I think I got it looking good. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 10:35:50 PM »
Ah--thanks, EUOL.  Knew I'd seen that somewhere.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 10:38:55 PM »
wowzers. That's awesome. I hadn't seen that before, even though I've been frequenting the boards for a while. There's no mistaking them as Inquisitors there. Oh, and the ax is a nice detail too. Thanks, EUOL.
--Spriggan

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 12:14:49 AM »
I gotta admit, I think that's a pretty cool drawing, I like it better than what was used, though I suppose that would have driven away some potential readers.

Collector's Edition!  :P

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 09:07:15 PM »
For some reason I always pictured the spikes going the other way (so that the pointy end was coming out the eyes). This is not necessarily the fault of the descriptions because I'm not very good at interpreting descriptions as I tend to skim rather than read (especially when I'm excited about what I'm reading).

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 07:42:35 AM »
I had known that they were supposed to be pointed that way, but I had actually pictured them the other way, too, just because I couldn't picture how they would look any other way without them looking just bizarre. Now that I see the way you portrayed them though, driven all the way through their head, they actually make them seem more mysterious and menacing. Also, interestingly enough, I like your portrayal much better than this sketch for the actual cover. Speaking of picturing things weird, I always pictured the Inquisitors having completely grey skin. I don't know if this is actually the way they were described, or if I am just deriving it from somewhere.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus