Author Topic: Chapter One: The Trouble with Trinkets  (Read 40465 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Chapter One: The Trouble with Trinkets
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2007, 03:52:35 PM »
((Dink is a struct. Structs are, essentially, self-willed golems. More in a little bit.))

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2007, 05:37:28 PM »
Rashial gave Keating a funny look from the wall, then, without getting off of the wall, said, "A black horse with matching  saddle?"  He chuckled quietly, "I don't know what you're used to, but we're breaking in, not attending a ball.  We agree that the chances of us riding in tonight are slim.  Besides, he hired us to see if we can break in, not come in for tea."

With this Rashial got off the wall and said, "It's my turn now, this is ridiculous," to himself.

"We need a map, if we can get one.  But I'm willing to bet the average, even the experienced, thief could not, so lets not hold our breath that we'll be given one.  Rope is a good idea.  I say we float the fairy up to the roof, and have the Struct... yes, I know, Dink...I knew!  Yes, lets have the Struct throw the small between us up on the roof.  It was announced that I'm a changeling and I can change into a monkey.  Monkeys are small, yes, I know.  Olan, I think it would possibly be best to try and through me up on the roof rather than you.  Or better yet, I could just climb up.  Either way, that would give us two on the roof, with ropes if we take them, and we can secure the ability for the rest of the team to climb up.

"However, we, or at least I...I said I...hush now!" he said, swinging his hand through the air above his head at nothing, as though swatting at an impossibly small fly, "Believe it would be best for half the team to come from the roof or top story, and half the team to come from the floor level.  Of course, once we see the place, or a map, we can refine these plans.  What'cha think?"  He finished, looking first at Olan, then Dink, then Orfeo.  His gaze met the team leader's, then he looked on towards the quartermaster, saying loudly, "Sir, no disrespect, we were sent here for supplies, I would assume."

Finally, he looked at Keating, running his eyes up and down his figure, as though sizing him up, then, quietly to himself,  said, "Yes, I know...a black horse with matching saddle, simply ridiculous!"  At this he broke into incomprehensible mumbling and fits of laughter, occasionally looking back at Keating. 
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2007, 03:45:59 AM »
"I kind of assumed we'd be taking the roof, anyhow.  I mean, we can't exactly just saunter in through the front door, can we?  Or, I suppose we could, but then there's the whole not breaking things clause…"

"So, it's going to be me and the monkey up on the roof?  I'm assuming you either want us to either unlock something and provide a way for you folks to get in, or you want us to filch the statue-thingy ourselves.  And I take it everyone wants this mission, then?  I mean, we never voted…"
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2007, 01:12:39 PM »
The dwarf watched as you argued. "I need a comprehensive list. ONE list. Makes it simpler. Write it down on this form. Fill it out in triplicate. Then I need the explanation for each item's need on this supplement. Also in triplicate. You can call me Gargil. Using my title makes the hairs on my lower back stand up. It's irritating. Don't bother me again till you've filled out the form. I'm not a help desk."

((You don't have to actually make a comprehensive list for me, just the general idea. This is mostly just to point out that the free supplies from the quartermaster are not just anything you want, there is a shop for that if'n you want to spend money -- oh wait, none of you currently have much of that.))

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2007, 12:11:29 AM »
"Alright everyone, as it stands, we are not in a desirable situation. We are trying to break into someplace that we know next to nothing about. So, I see two options. We can either go look at the building right now, and come back when we have a better idea of what we are dealing with. If we choose to do that, then we could make an informed plan, and we would know what kind of equipment we would need. The possible drawbacks I can see would be that we might arouse suspicion in the guards before we even start, and, depending on how far it is, we might have time constraints. The other option is to just get a few general supplies that we think we might need, and then try to make our plan once we get a look at the place. The only problem with that plan is that we might find we are lacking some important equipment.

I want to know what you all think, before I make a decision. Thoughts?"
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2007, 12:56:51 AM »
Rashial continued to talk to himself for about a minute, then said a little louder, "I have something to say.  Fine.  Fine." 

Then he looked around as though getting a standing on his bearings, then looked at Solon, then said much more softly, "I say we send the most inconspicuous two people to go.  The Faery is a good choice, so are the halfling and dwarf.  Plus the fairy can fly.  We could at least see how big the building is, best entry points."  He said, looking at the quartermaster, taking the forms from him and giving respects.  He looked at them, then handed them to Solon and said, "I think these should be in your hands."

He moved against the wall again, silently, then said something to himself in a begging tone.  Finally, he said from where he was, "Oh yeah...I can go invisible and, as you know, that being, they know!  You know, but I can change to a monkey, even though I already said that.  Anyway, I might be a good choice, too.

"Oh, good point, good point!  This would have to be quick, since we should get in just before sundown from the roof, while there's lighter security, then..." he stopped briefly, apparently thinking, "...yeah, then we can get out in the dark, since they'll be trying to find people getting in with the heavy security, not people getting out."
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Tjaeden

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2007, 04:21:09 PM »
"Agreed.  We must act quickly to gain information.  Standing here isn't gettin' anything done."

"And yes, a black horse...  with matching black saddle.  For a getaway.  Glad you thought that far ahead. Rashial."
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,
And only rats and rotting flesh /
can hear my silent plea...

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2007, 08:34:38 PM »
"Well, I'm sorry for critici...yes, I am sorry for criticizing your plan, but I must agree...that...having one horse...and a matching saddle...wont help us escape...nor...will it help you to escape...without us.  Also, where will we keep the horse whilst we break in?  I don't mean to be conde...no, I don't mean to be unpleasant.  I don't.  But to get away well with horse we'd need one for three members of the team, at least, and...yes...and we'd need to hide them.  And horses...even trained, black horses...can make a lot of noise when unwatched.  As w...I see it, we're better off getting out however we got in.  And if we do get some horses...not a horse...we'd best keep them a quar...fine, half a kilometer, no, well, out of hearing distance, just for safety, meaning that it does us no good to make them black, with matching saddles.  Besides, yes, that is, the job is, to say, getting the item, in question, off the property past the security."

He looked at Keating softly up and down, as though apologizing for his earlier comments, and said, "We will need a getaway, but if we do our job well, it wont need to be on the run.  And if we do our job poorly and we take off on black horses with black saddles from the compound, we're more likely to be seen and heard, and therefore followed, if the horses are being shot out from within hearing distance, even with black horses.  It was a valiant thought, but I don't so much suspect having black horses with saddles is necessary, or even wise, seeing how three horses with six people all riding black horses and matching saddles tends not to be the most common of sight in the dark unless they're up to no good."

"Now then, shall Orfeo and I go, while those of you here discuss the getaway strategy?"
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Tjaeden

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2007, 10:33:05 PM »
Keating shrugs his shoulders and finished his apple. 

"I'm just not used to being in a group," he says.   
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,
And only rats and rotting flesh /
can hear my silent plea...

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2007, 02:18:10 PM »
((Since you are going to get a layout, partially from the air, I will be drawing a map today. I'll post it later))

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2007, 08:28:11 PM »
Esmerelda peers into her crystal ball, watching the crazy proceedings involving the new hires. "Oh my, those folks are having a rotten first day. Thank heavens I quit before signing that doomsday contract of theirs!"

Quietly, she slips the silk over the crystal ball, places it in her gypsy ruck sack and trots off to find other employment.

(((Guys, I'm sorry to "kill" myself off, but I doubt you'll miss me much--I'm just too busy with school and work and other equally annoying stuff. :P Good luck in your missions!)))
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2007, 02:08:37 AM »
Orfeo hovers over Solon's shoulder as he makes the list.

"Psst.  Make sure and add a 6' javelin to the list!  We need one of those."

"Oh, and when am I supposed to have that silly contract signed by?"
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 08:07:31 AM by Lé C'valyi d'Jade »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2007, 02:44:34 AM »
"I think you are already supposed to have signed the contract, Orfeo. Maybe you should go do that. I'll keep the javelin in mind."
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2007, 09:39:57 PM »
((Ok, the map's done. What did I miss?))

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2007, 03:54:33 AM »
Solon stood for a moment, looking pensive. He glanced around at each of the team members, as if he were sizing them all up. Finally, he looked to Rashial.

"Rashial, Orfeo, could you both come here for a moment? I need you both to go to Lord Col's mansion and find out as much as you can about it. Remember, we need information, but we don't want to tip our hand, so make sure you don't arouse suspicion. Orfeo, I want you to fly over the mansion, and get a general layout. Rashial, I want you to do what you can from the ground, to get as much in the way of specifics as you can."