Author Topic: Chapter One: The Trouble with Trinkets  (Read 40466 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Chapter One: The Trouble with Trinkets
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2007, 06:21:01 AM »
Orfeo flew along with Solon, scratching his loose hair.

"Well, when are we going to need to sign these by?"

((BTW, E, what size is Orfeo's contract?))
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2007, 02:31:42 PM »
((Well, it would be entirely too convenient for it to be fey-sized. It is, of course, normal sized))

The quartermaster's office had three workers. Two dwarves and a halfling. One of the dwarves appeared to be in charge. He was mostly bald with a halo of wild red hair. He had an almost ridiculously large pot-belly, and a monstrously bulbous nose. He grunted when the group entered, but didn't even turn from glaring at the work his subordinates were doing. 

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2007, 03:30:31 PM »
(It would be hard to scratch Solon's loose hair, as he, like all Illumans, is bald.)

"Excuse me, sir," Solon started. "Master Bendorial told us to see you. We are the new team."
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Tjaeden

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2007, 05:38:05 PM »
Keating signed the paperwork with a sigh and tossed them flippantly on the desk.
"Useless bureaucracy," he muttered as he hurried to catch up to his new "teammates."

"Solon.  Think on this," Keating says.  Mentally, the conversation continued.  I'm just here to get paid.  Trying to lay low, let some heat die off.  If you can't deal - then stay out of my way.  If you can - then I'm sure I'll make a valuable asset to this team..  The word team had a sarcastic twist to it.

To the others, Keating put on his most winning smile.  "I'm sure we won't need too many things from a few dwarves.  Simple in and out job.  We scope current security, maybe shadow the mark for a week.  Check for extra special stuff, like magic.  See what weak spots we can infiltrate to get an interior look.  Night may seem like the best time to pull a heist - but I'm betting this 'Lord Col' would have less security during the day."

Leaning back against the doorframe, he crossed his arms.  "We should also check the Lord for two other things.  The first being if he is going to throw any parties soon."
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,
And only rats and rotting flesh /
can hear my silent plea...

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2007, 05:54:15 PM »
Dink's glowing yellow eyes 'blinked.' "A week? I think that might be unfeasible unless you have a method for time travel. Didn't the Maester say we needed to break in tonight?"

Tjaeden

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2007, 09:16:07 PM »
"Well... Dink.  It should be a simple in-out job.  With proper planning and some smarts, you can break into anything.  The concrete deadline makes us short in both areas, I'm afraid."

Thinking for a moment, Keating continues: "However, if our job is to test the security measures, I officially state that we are being stunted already - it's the way of administration  really."

Shrugging his shoulders, Keating falls silent.
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2007, 11:25:55 PM »
Solon looked at Keating with disdain.

"Master Bendorial did say that we had to break in tonight, but he also said that we had the day to prepare. If we need to, we can get a closer look at it beforehand, and then start to plan our mission."

With that, Solon turned back to the quartermaster. As he did that though, he continued the "conversation" with Keating.

"Listen to me very carefully. I don't care why you are here. I already told you that I was willing to "deal," for the sake of the team. It would not be fair for me to punish the rest of the team over a personal grievance, especially as the team leader. Someday, when we are in more...private surroundings, we can settle this. Until then, we are a team, and should act as such. If you act as part of the team, then there won't be a problem. Acting as part of the team also means that you WILL NOT challenge my authority, or disrespect our employers. That includes the quartermaster. "
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2007, 12:46:29 AM »
Rashial, coming into the room behind most everybody else, watched his team leader and Keating speak to each other.  He mumbled to himself quietly, watching the conversation, occasionally turning and watching the quartermaster's workers move around.

"You're right..." he whispered softly to himself, and said much louder, to nobody in particular, "Perhaps we shouldn't be doing the," then continued, quieting his speech, "...shhh...I will...."  With this he looked around, looked at Keating, who, to his eye, seemed slightly distracted, "That is, we believe it would be best to deal with the situation at hand, rather than converse about how we would pull this heist if we had more time, or...supplies or goods or money."

"Keating, sir...lord...sir...you seem distracted...I believe, or it would be best if our attention was on the goal, or actually, in the achieving of the goal, thus on the task at hand for the goal to be achieved with all swiftness?" Rashial said to Keating, who, to his eyes, seemed to be focusing more on a thought in his head than the world around him.

((Mayhaps we should keep telepathic communication to PMs also sent to the Gm, thus making any communication that is supposed to be secret between characters ACTUALLY secret between characters.  It might just be me, but if you're saying something that all the players here should hear, you shouldn't be projecting it to just one player, anyway.  I dunno, it just seems like this would make it easier to role play))
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2007, 01:37:21 PM »
((I'm of the personal opinion that it simplifies things if it's all in one spot. You can put your personal thoughts there too. Plus others get to be entertained by the in-fighting. If there's a lot of disagreement with me on that, we can revise our practices))

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2007, 04:27:07 PM »
Paying absolutely no attention to what the rest of the team was talking about, Olan walked up beside Solon, and got his attention with a clearing of his throat.

"I'm thinking some explosives are in order. Nothing to bring the building down around our ears, but nothing makes a better distraction than someone such as myself running about throwing bombs. Or if we're that concerned with sneaking about, we should get some burglar tools out to me and anyone else who wants them. Not that I would know anything about criminal activities..."

With that his thought process trailed off. He continued to carry on a conversation with himself, waiting for a reply from the psychic.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2007, 08:19:51 PM »
Solon turned to Olan and smiled. "I'll keep that in mind, if we need a distraction."

"Excuse me sir," Solon said again, trying to attract the attention of the quartermaster. "Master Bendorial sent us to see you."

Tjaeden

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2007, 02:06:12 AM »
"Explosives, Olan?" Keating asks, changing the subject in his head.

"Seems a little much.  Again, we don't know what we need, 'cause we've never seen the place.  What if there are guards?  Or guard dogs? Or a moat?  Or something magical?"

Keating shrugs his shoulders again.  "Just thinking out loud," he says to Solan.

From somewhere, Keating pulls out a green apple, and munches while the team gets whatever gear they think they need.  If asked if he needs anything from the Quartermaster, he politely shakes his head, 'no.'

"Besides.  No one asked what the second thing was that we need to look for."
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2007, 08:53:51 AM »
Orfeo suddenly zipped out of the room, back to where he had left his oversized contract, stuffed it away, and returned to where the others were gathered chatting.  Finding the Dwarf in charge, he approached him, eyes vibrant with the prospect of "getting stuff."

"So, Solomon says  you're going to give us stuff!  What kind of stuff?  I could really use a javelin—I've heard they're long and pointy and good for throwing, but I don't actually own one."  Orfeo flew up over the Dwarf's shoulder to get a better view of what he was looking at, and  then returned to where Solon was busy standing, preoccupied.

"So, Leader Solomon, are we going to vote on if we want to accept this mission?"
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 10:19:33 AM by Lé C'valyi d'Jade »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Tjaeden

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2007, 01:24:01 PM »
"Maybe there are some things I'd like:

1. A map of the estate
2. A dossier on Lord Col - what's his politics?
3. A sleek riding horse (trained of course), black.  Matching saddle.*
4. 200' of rope, dyed black, cut into 50' lengths.
5. A telescope.*
6. Patents of Nobility.

"That should about cover it. Oh, and maybe a disguise for the fairy.  If we gave him a black cowl and a utility belt...  wait, no, that would never work."

*((I believe the tech-level of this campaign was Renaissance - but Dink kind of threw me off.  Is the Steampower?  What would be appropriate here?))
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2007, 03:51:11 PM »
"I've got an idea," Olan chimed in suddenly.

Turning to Dink and sizing the Struct up, a bit of a mischevious grin flashed across his face for a few fleeting moments. "I'm under the impression that most Structs are quite strong fellows. A bit too heavy to be of use on the ship, but strong nonetheless. I did once run into a ship run entirely by Structs, funny looking metal beast... oh, yes, the idea. If this mansion is a normal mansion, I would assume that it has a roof, and some manner of access to the roof from the inside. If one or two of us could get to the top, we could test out the mansion's defense against aerial infiltration. It would be simple for the faerie to get up there, since he flys. The second team member, most likely myself, would need your assistance in getting up there. How far do you think ye can throw a dwarf into the air?"
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.