Author Topic: C&C 3 Demo released  (Read 4152 times)

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
C&C 3 Demo released
« on: March 02, 2007, 08:23:29 PM »
If you have not already downloaded and played this demo, I highly suggest it. It is an amazing game.

Enjoy!

http://videogames.yahoo.com/predownload?eid=506779
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: C&C 3 Demo released
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 05:56:43 AM »
Wood!  Today is a happy day for me.  I've waited years and years for this moment.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 11:28:25 PM »
You know... I'm hoping that you meant "woot" otherwise your statement is pretty dang funny to me.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 09:35:33 AM »
No, I actually meant "wood".  I've decided I prefer it to "woot".

I even translate it—"Bois!" in French, for example.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 02:53:10 PM »
Wood has a more... perverse connotation though when talking about excitement.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 12:06:42 PM »
I am completely unaware of this connotation.  You will need to inform me if you expect me to stop using it.  =Ăľ

Anyway, I checked out the demo.  It's fairly limited.  Tutorial, prologue, 1 mission in the campaign, and 1 skirmish mission with very limited options.  You get to play only as GDI, and only against Nod (in all contexts).  The Scrin don't make an appearance in the demo itself.

The movies and razzledazz look great—strong C&C tradition.  What little music there is seems good, as well.  Gameplay isn't bad—things blow up quick in traditional C&C fashion, and various other elements of the game feel very traditional.  Graphic quality is quite good, if the terrain is a bit dreary.  Nod has received a major makeover, and I'm not particularly keen on it—they just feel less like Nod and more like Scrin to me.  I also have no clue about the uniqueness of efficacy of Nod units—some of them clearly have stealth abilities, but when I play against them, Nod has a total of 6 units as far as I'm concerned: Infantry, Missile Infantry, Vehicles, Flame Tanks, Harpies (or whatever they call them now), and Bombers.  I'm sure it's a little different for the Nod player, but oh well.  I just send Mammoth tanks against them all and blow them to smithereens.

Base expansion is a big part of C&C 3—you can always repack your MCV and send it somewhere else, and you can buy mobile outpost vehicles that can set up camp somewhere else to allow you to build there.  Every production building now has its own queue, as well, so that 2 barracks will allow you to produce infantry twice as fast, but through the medium of two individual queues.  You can also buy buildings which will provide additional building queues, meaning that it's quite easy to build up a huge base quickly.  Moreover, every MCV/extension has 2 inherent queues—one for the major buildings in the game, and one for support buildings like turrets.

Two things I'm not particularly hot about in C&C 3: the superweapons, and teching.  Fortunately, like the original, the nuke in C&C 3 is quite devastating, clearing an entire screen of most buildings.  Unfortunately, however, the Ion Cannon is (as far as I can tell) identical in all ways except for in the visual presentation.  Visually, the Nuclear bomb in C&C:Generals was (IMO) much better-looking/visually satisfying.  In addition, you are limited to only one Ion Cannon (and presumably nuclear attack) at a time—and as these take 6 minutes to charge, they fall only very, very rarely.  When this is contrasted against the break-neck speed at which bases can be built, superweapon attacks are now more of an intense irritation than anything game-breaking like they were in C&C 1.

The thing I don't like about the teching is the number of useless buildings in the game—as GDI, there are two buildings which do absolutely nothing but a) are required to build certain things and b) provide a place to "upgrade" unit tech.  I'm not really impressed.  Additionally, there are two more buildings that do almost nothing—the command center is required to build stuff, and provides radar, and there's some other building which isn't required to tech, but does nothing but give you the option of purchasing certain support options (maybe 2-3, like artillery strikes).  I tend to dislike heavy "tiering", and C&C3 seems like a tiered game (though it perhaps only has 2 general tiers of units, which is better than some).

The base sprawl now makes it feel more chaotic than previous C&C games—it's easier to just pump out harvesters on the side if one desires, and when I was playing against hard AI, they must have had at LEAST half a dozen refineries by the time I got to their base—which is really overkill, especially considering their limited access to Tiberium.  I think that base-building sprawl, while definitely very innovative and interesting, ups the micromanagement nature of the game, and hurts the strategic aspects.

Overall, however, it seems like a pretty fun game.  I'd need to see what it's like playing as Nod before I could really give an opinion on it.  I'm sure I'll buy it eventually, but I might wait for a bit now.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 03:11:56 PM »
I am completely unaware of this connotation. You will need to inform me if you expect me to stop using it. =Ăľ
"Wood" is often used as slang for the male state of arousal, particularly upon waking up, but at any time.

When you use it in the context of being excited, one starts wondering if you are planning on sticking hte software in your pants.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 11:31:12 PM »
That's very interesting.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 04:37:10 AM »
Not really. Happens every morning. Kind of like a sunrise. Always right on time.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 10:00:31 PM »
You can also play as NOD, simply take control of their main building, it will give you a feel for it if nothing else.

And don't discredit the hulking Avatar walker, you can use it to "eat" any other unit and gain that units abilities in addition to its main beam cannon.

EA is saving the Scrin for the game, you can find nothing on them anywhere at this point but a few teasers.

However, the game was made to not be a teching war. C&C 3 is set up to be over in less than 15 minutes of play. Which is kind of refreshing in a lot of ways if you want to just play a quick one, you can do so, without having to set aside a whole hour. And if you want to tech and have a long battle, that ability is there as well.

I prefer the 1 superweapon and long time limit. It basically ends the game now, as it would in real life.  So, unlike in generals where you could have one out in 3 minutes and a full base defense, and nuke someone 5 times and still not kill them.....it doesn't work that way anymore. I loved generals though.. one of the few I suppose.

;) FWIW

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 04:31:11 AM »
I really liked Generals, too.  It was missing several features, and its soundtrack was a little limited, but other than that, great game.

If nothing else, the Avatar is ugly, IMO.  =Ăľ  Give me back the cyborg commando!  In fact, I don't like the look of most of the Nod units this time 'round.  Ah, well…

And I totally disagree about the superweapon thing.  They sting, but if you have enough cranes out/scattered about (say 2-3), you can recover from a superweapon strike in a matter of moments, really (I've done this on multiple occasions).  They're irritating, but hardly game-shattering (like they were in C&C 1).  In C&C 1, when you got nuked, it was pretty much all over.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 09:47:53 PM »
I just beat the campaign last night.

I really enjoyed that it follows only one storyline. Similar to what War3 and Starcraft have done versus War2 or Tib. Sun.

They leave absolutely no question that there will be an expansion or at least a sequel.

It was more fun than I thought initially as well.

Hopefully they add some super units for the Nod and GDI this go around. (like your commando and true mammoth tanks)  :)