Author Topic: The Bridge to Teribithia  (Read 2696 times)

Seeker

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
The Bridge to Teribithia
« on: February 21, 2007, 05:49:17 AM »
Anyone seen this?  It was plenty better than the first movie on this book.  It was very depressing watching it again, making our world seem so boring... back to reading lol
-Is there anything more beautiful than the sun? I often watch it rise, for my restless sleep usually awakens me before dawn.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: The Bridge to Teribithia
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 07:29:13 PM »
Although I enjoyed the book when I was younger--even though it sorta depressed me--I feel a bit uncertain about this new movie. From what I recall, the kids only *pretended* that Terabithia was real. They played at creating their own world. The tension in the novel came mainly from the boy's tentative participation in the make-believe and from his friend's bad home environment. Yet in the movie, it makes it seem like their imaginary world is real, and that's the source of the big drama. So I dunno how much I'll like it because I really felt like Terabithia was a means to dealing with the real conflict and not the conflict itself.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 10:50:44 PM »
Shrain, I agree with you. I was hesitant to see this movie because of the differnce in the way I remember the book, and the way  the ads portray the movie. However, I did see it and thoroughly enjoyed it. The ads are misleading--they are trying to tie into the popularity of fantasy movies. The main story was much as it was in the book, the relationship of the two kids. The movie makes it very clear that Terabithia is a make-believe world to serve as their escape from the hardships of their real lives. The children actors give spot-on performances, so I felt myself being sucked right into the story.
I did go see this movie by myself, though, because I knew my kids would snicker at me when I started crying, but I would heartily recommend this movie.
Work is like fertilizer in that I'm very glad it exists--I just don't ever want to get stuck in it
(Lightsong in Warbreaker)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 04:00:08 AM »
Well that's encouraging, then. I apreciate the info.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 04:09:18 AM »
I was kind of hoping the movie was more like how the ads portrayed it. I remember really hating the book when I was in elementary school because it was depressing, it had swearing (albeit mild), and the title led me to believe it would be a fantasy story when it was really a stupid literary story.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Tjaeden

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 03:45:11 PM »
It took me a good 20 minutes after leaving the theatre to decide whether or not I liked it.

After the silence passed for a while, my 9 year old little sister looked up at me and said, "I didn't like it."

That was enough for me.  Not having read the book, I felt the events in the movie where over-reactions, and did not justify the *little* character development.  It was too much of a "waste."

Also,  I admit I had no idea what it was about (aside from movietickets.com summary), but thought it would be a good enough to take my little sister.  I should have taken her to see 300 - at least she would have understood the violence in that movie.

Aside from the problems with character development, the religious undertone could have had a stronger role in the movie.  However, even that only went half way. 

The special effects, casting, acting, and costume were top notch. 

Towards the end of the movie, a viewer will ask, "why?"  And that is never answered in any way.

2 out of 10.
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,
And only rats and rotting flesh /
can hear my silent plea...

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
Towards the end of the movie, a viewer will ask, "why?"  And that is never answered in any way.

***spoiler***

That's actually the whole point. Katherine Paterson wrote the story in response to the death of her 8-year-old son's best friend. The whole question of "why?" is such a hard one, especially for losing a child that age, losing a friend at that age. It's about coping, it's about loss, it's about all of those hard issues.

The book depressed me, but at the same time it gave me hope. Katherine Paterson is actually one of my all-time favorite authors because she's not afraid to express her religious convictions in her writing. Jacob Have I Loved is my favorite of her books, though.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 08:28:09 AM »
Kind of random, but my best friend died when I was 8.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."