Author Topic: Ghost Rider  (Read 2398 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Ghost Rider
« on: February 18, 2007, 11:06:07 PM »
Did anyone else go see this?

The TV commercials we'd seen made it look campy and fun, so we went. It was indeed campy and fun, though there was a whole aspect of the movie (the villains) that is pretty much not mentioned in the commercials. They were very creepy and...well, hellish, but what can you expect?

There is much to ridicule in the movie, but we've really got only one question...[hide]why did the old Ghost Rider ride all the way across the desert with him, only to disappear before the fight?[/hide] Seemed really pointless. I mean, it was a cool scene up until that point, but then...huh?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Rider
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:07:26 AM »
So, are you recommending or not recommending?  Because I wanted to see it based on the trailers, but I haven't heard if anyone liked it or not.

Wow, the critics hated it. 

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghost_rider/

Check that out.  Even the ones who are saying it's good are quoted saying things like "it's really not that bad" and it's "so bad it's good."  Yikes.  The trailer looked way cool!  I'm sad now.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 12:11:46 AM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 04:22:50 AM »
I've heard very bad things, which make me reluctant to want to see it, but I have yet to talk to anyone who has seen it and isn't a film critic, so maybe there's hope.  It was the #1 movie over the weekend--something like $40 plus million, if that's any measure.  (It isn't.)  The effects look pretty cool, though . . .

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 06:20:36 PM »
The movie has problems. But it was entertaining.

If you don't like seeing evil demons from hell with really bad teeth, or vigilante justice where people die with their eyeballs burned out, or where demons kill people by burning them from the inside out so they shrivel up and blacken, don't go see it. We might have been less likely to see it had we known those things would be in there, but what can you expect in a movie where a guy with a flaming skull has made a deal with the devil?

We saw the Rotten Tomatoes score before we went, but went anyway, and it was no worse than we expected. This is a movie that can be enjoyed based on how ludicrous it is. Some have criticized the acting, but I didn't have any problems with the acting from anyone. It was fun.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 10:25:36 PM »
I just went and saw this today.  I don't know if I can even say that this movie was entertaining in the least.    Mostly it was just corny.  I didn't expect all that much though going into it.  Acting was horrible.  Bad guys were pointless.  Little to no plot.  "Suprises" were stupid.  It was pretty bad, to say the least.  If you're going to see it, wait for it to come to Red Box, and then use a free coupon code.  I wouldn't waste your money on it.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 10:02:43 PM »
I saw the movie twice, once with friends the day after it came out, and again with my boyfriend who is a HUGE fan of the comic.
We all liked it. Sure there were definitely things to criticize, but it was entertaining. There were cliches all over the place, and the fights with the bad guys made us go... huh? but I think that Nick Cage and the other actors all did a good job and I had a good time. It was a fun movie.
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

dinodynamo

• Level 2
  • Live forever or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 09:17:06 PM »
I saw this movie the first week it was out in theaters, and myself and my buddy were the only two people that didn't walk out of the theater asking "Could that have sucked any harder?"

It was cheezy, but it was kind of a special effects extravaganza, it was more, "Look at how we made his face a flaming skull, and how everything burns/melts and it's so zomgwtfcool!"

I would probably watch it again though, wouldn't throw down cash the second time around.
-Yarbles!