Author Topic: Dragonsteel  (Read 59381 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonsteel
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2010, 04:34:26 AM »
A few questions.

1. What is "Adonalsiumverse canon" ? I don't know Brandon. I found him since he is writing WoT and I am reading Mistborn. I am still on the first book.

2. So the 10 book way of kings series is partially a canabalization of an unpublished book called Dragonsteel that his friends all liked?

3. How many hours/week does brandon spend writing? It sounds like he writes alot...

I think Brandon wrote in that forum interview peter pointed too that he expects 3 books every 2 years. That is alot. Keeping quality up at that pace is really tough. Stuff may get generic. Anyone here ever read Harry Turtledove? He writes alternative history. I have probably read about 10 books by him (many are VERY good such as Guns of the South), but got tired of him since his books got formulaic and generic.

4. Peter: did you know Brandon in real life and that is how you got hired?

5. Will Brandon post on these forums anymore ? I understand he is busy.

6. Brandon plans to release Way of Kings and the next WoT book this year right? How often does he plan to release Way of King books? Is this going to be a 20+ year series like WoT? (that is ok. I am not kid and I am patient).

Welcome to the forums. =]

1 - Adonalsiumverse is the universe in which books that take place where Shards of Adonalsium are found.  The Shards seem to have strange affects on the worlds.  Currently we know (canon) of Sel (Where Elantris takes place, Roshar (Where WoK will take place), Nalthis (Warbreaker), and Scadriel (Where Mistborn takes place).  There will be more and there are some unpublished that take place in Shard Worlds, but those aren't technically canon since they aren't yet published.  He also does right books i.e. Alcatraz that do not take place on Shard Worlds.

2 - As far as I know only it's not that the book was cannibalized, but there are portions of it that were.  There is plan in the future for Dragonsteel to be its own series.

3/4 - Wait for Peter's response.

5 - I talked to him about this once and he says he stays away from the forums mainly because he would struggle to keep himself from giving away too much.  =]  He does occasionally (i.e. the Hero of Ages Q&A) spend short spurts on the forum though.

6 - The current pattern is 2 adult fiction novels a year and 1 YA novel a year.  As far as I'm aware for the next 2 years it will be 1WoK/1WoT and after that 1WoK/1other.  The other being whatever he decides to publish or right, probably something from the lists that can be found earlier on this thread.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:04:45 AM by Miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Morderkaine

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2010, 04:41:46 AM »
Warbreaker is also Adonalsium canon.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2010, 04:58:06 AM »
Miyabi's done very well with your questions. It's probably worth pointing out that future books in the Stormlight Archive (the series that The Way of Kings is part of) will take much longer to finish than Way of Kings did, as it was already in first or second draft stage when Brandon came to Tor to make a contract for it. :) I'm sure either Peter or Brandon will mention how fast we can expect future books sometime after he starts actually writing the second one. :)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2010, 05:05:02 AM »

D'oh.  How did I forget Warbreaker?  xD  I fixed post.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2010, 06:43:20 PM »
Miyabi's done very well with your questions. It's probably worth pointing out that future books in the Stormlight Archive (the series that The Way of Kings is part of) will take much longer to finish than Way of Kings did, as it was already in first or second draft stage when Brandon came to Tor to make a contract for it. :) I'm sure either Peter or Brandon will mention how fast we can expect future books sometime after he starts actually writing the second one. :)

Maybe it'll go faster? Since I'm sure Brandon has already laid out the ground work for all the arcs and back story, character personalities for probably the majority of the series. He has already pointed out that he has speculated it should be 10 books long and how else would he know that without doing a good amount of planning ahead.

NOT TO MENTION! You know Brandon, the way he interweaves the small stuff into his series would mean a lot of notes. Heh  :D
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2010, 08:14:15 PM »
I've known Brandon for ten years. That is part of how I started working for him. I also work in the publishing industry—I was at TOKYOPOP for four years—so I have the experience necessary. Brandon and I also have congruent tastes in books.

Right now it's looking more and more like Towers of Midnight won't come out before March/April 2011. And there will be no other Brandon books coming out in 2011. A Memory of Light will probably be no sooner than October/November 2012, and if Brandon is able to get another Stormlight Archive book out in 2012 it will be a big stretch.

Once the Wheel of Time is finished Brandon hopes to be putting out 3 or 4 adult books in each 2-year period, but at this point I think 4 is less likely. Brandon has been working like a dog for long hours. He spends up to 14 hours per day writing, but he wants to get to where he's spending more like 9 hours a day.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2010, 02:12:28 AM »
Anyone who can put out two per year (of good quality) strikes me as being at the top of the game. Butcher has done it, but he just ended his Aleran series so I think he may be cranking it back down to 1/year of the Dresden books. And I've seen Pratchett do it as well, but only on rare occasion.

I'm happy as hell if an author can put out one good book per year. Anything more and I worry about quality.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2010, 02:38:11 AM »
1 - Adonalsiumverse is the universe in which books that take place where Shards of Adonalsium are found. 
I found out today that the official name is the Cosmere.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2010, 02:50:57 AM »
1 - Adonalsiumverse is the universe in which books that take place where Shards of Adonalsium are found. 

Epicness ensues. Witness the creation of the Cosmere :bows before it:
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2010, 02:53:16 AM »
I've known Brandon for ten years. That is part of how I started working for him. I also work in the publishing industry—I was at TOKYOPOP for four years—so I have the experience necessary. Brandon and I also have congruent tastes in books.

Right now it's looking more and more like Towers of Midnight won't come out before March/April 2011. And there will be no other Brandon books coming out in 2011. A Memory of Light will probably be no sooner than October/November 2012, and if Brandon is able to get another Stormlight Archive book out in 2012 it will be a big stretch.

Once the Wheel of Time is finished Brandon hopes to be putting out 3 or 4 adult books in each 2-year period, but at this point I think 4 is less likely. Brandon has been working like a dog for long hours. He spends up to 14 hours per day writing, but he wants to get to where he's spending more like 9 hours a day.

That was really quick, thanks Peter! :D

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2010, 03:06:00 AM »
Peter, I could hug you right now.

Thank you for EVERYTHING!

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2010, 03:10:40 AM »

00000 :o
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2010, 05:13:51 AM »
Thank you Ook!  I was trying to freaking remember that word.  I knew it had something similar to "cosmos" but I couldn't remember the exact word.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2010, 07:25:26 PM »
Both White Sand and Liar of Partinel will receive major revisions eventually.

I know someone will get mad because I'm posting on such an old thread, but is what Peter said true? Will White Sand and the Dragonsteel series eventually be rewritten and published? (And if they do, is it safe to assume this will be after the Stormlight Archives is finished?)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2010, 08:02:23 PM »
You can assume that anything that Peter says is true unless Brandon directly contradicts it AFTER Peter says it.

I'd be willing to bet that the Stormlight Archive is not going to be released back to back. I expect at least one non SA book between each book in the series.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie