Author Topic: Dragonsteel  (Read 59411 times)

zas678

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonsteel
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2010, 09:28:09 AM »
By count about 16-20 years if you say he does about 2 books a year (which has been his incredible pace so far)

So just looking at Andonalsium books.....

1)White Sand Prime
2) Star's End
3) Lord Mastrell
4) Knight Life
5) The Sixth Incarnation of Pandora
6) Elantris
7) Dragonsteel Prime
8 ) White Sand
9) Mythwalker
10) Stormlight Archive : The Way of Kings
11) Mistborn 1  : The Final Empire
12) Mistborn 1 : The Well of Ascension
13) Mistborn 1 : The Hero of Ages
14) Warbreaker
15) Dragonsteel: The Liar of Partinel
16) Nightblood – Warbreaker Sequel
17) Dragonsteel: The Lightweaver of Rens
18)Stormlight Archives 2
19)Stormlight Archives 3
20)Stormlight Archives 4
21)Stormlight Archives 5
22)Stormlight Archives 6
23)Stormlight Archives 7
24)Stormlight Archives 8
25)Stormlight Archives 9
26)Stormlight Archives 10

27)Dragonsteel 4
28)Dragonsteel 5
29)Dragonsteel 6
30)Dragonsteel 7

31)Elantris Sequel

32)Mistborn 2 :: 1
33)Mistborn 2 :: 2
34)Mistborn 2 :: 3

35)Mistborn 3 :: 1
36)Mistborn 3 :: 2
37)Mistborn 3 :: 3

38)The Silence Divine

39) Mystery Book Who knows? It could be Hoid's Diary. Wait- Too late! It's already on Twitter  ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:30:47 AM by Zany And Spontaneus! #678 »
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2010, 09:43:23 AM »

Not all of those are necessarily canon for Adonalsiumverse though because they are not yet published.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2010, 05:44:58 PM »
2) Star's End
4) Knight Life
5) The Sixth Incarnation of Pandora

2 and 5 are not shard worlds (they're Earth-future science fiction), and I doubt 4 is a shard world (it's pure comedy).

Also, Aether of Night and the two Mistborn Prime books are set in (non-canon) shard worlds. And Lord Mastrell is basically just part 2 of White Sand Prime.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:49:03 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2010, 09:10:42 PM »
I'm being blown away by the prospect of all these being on my bookshelf. :drool:

One question: What does canon refer to?
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2010, 09:50:33 PM »
Well the canon commonly applies to the protestant/ catholic bible... w/o the Apocrypha of course. The use in this context means more or less set in stone.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2010, 10:18:46 PM »
Well the canon commonly applies to the protestant/ catholic bible... w/o the Apocrypha of course. The use in this context means more or less set in stone.

Awesome, that makes a lot more sense now.  :D

Recruit of the Omegas.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2010, 10:43:08 PM »

Canon - material that is considered to be "genuine", "something that actually happened", or can be directly referenced as material produced by the original author or creator.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2010, 10:43:23 PM »
As far as Brandon's universes go, nothing is canon until it's been published, after which very few changes can be made to it. Before then, Brandon is free to change anything he sees fit to change, so you can't assume that anything you read in an unpublished book will stick around.

For people who have read Dragonsteel and know how integral certain bits of that book appeared to its plot, Way of Kings is going to be a pretty big shock. Though it should also be obvious how much Brandon has grown as a writer in the last 9 years. When I read Dragonsteel back then I thought it was pretty awesome. Now reading Way of Kings, the Brandon of back then can't hold a candle to today's Brandon.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:46:03 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2010, 10:46:35 PM »
For people who have read DRAGONSTEEL and know how integral certain bits of that book appeared to its plot, WAY OF KINGS is going to be a pretty big shock.

Does it like, contradict things from Dragonsteel?  That's be pretty interesting.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
For people who have read DRAGONSTEEL and know how integral certain bits of that book appeared to its plot, WAY OF KINGS is going to be a pretty big shock.

Does it like, contradict things from Dragonsteel?  That's be pretty interesting.

I'm kind of glad that Dragonsteel doesn't have a digital copy floating around the forums. I feel like it could seriously spoil things to come through Way of Kings. It amazes me that even though multiple people have gotten their hands on it, they haven't created a digital copy out of it. BS has good fans. :P

Recruit of the Omegas.

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2010, 01:34:06 AM »
Either that or we're all scared of Peter.  I speculated about Hoid's place in Dragonsteel (not to mention my first signature), and Peter jumped me!  He didn't say anything scary per se, but it sure scared me at the time.  I felt like a complete moron/loser for hours.  In hindsight, I was acting pretty foolishly.  But no more! :-X
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2010, 01:57:01 AM »
I know plenty of us are fanatical enough to create digital copies if the work isn't available for purchase (I've avoided this to date - all of mine are kosher) or quote indices (guilty on the latter - makes it easy to flip through his entire works to date which I keep within arm's reach) for quick reference but I know all of us are respectful enough to keep them on our own PCs and limit them to personal use.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2010, 02:33:56 AM »

I used to have a digi copy. I still have parts of Liar. But he stopped sending out digi copies of dragonsteel because of the Way of Kings spoilers in it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2010, 03:36:38 AM »
A few questions.

1. What is "Adonalsiumverse canon" ? I don't know Brandon. I found him since he is writing WoT and I am reading Mistborn. I am still on the first book.

2. So the 10 book way of kings series is partially a canabalization of an unpublished book called Dragonsteel that his friends all liked?

3. How many hours/week does brandon spend writing? It sounds like he writes alot...

I think Brandon wrote in that forum interview peter pointed too that he expects 3 books every 2 years. That is alot. Keeping quality up at that pace is really tough. Stuff may get generic. Anyone here ever read Harry Turtledove? He writes alternative history. I have probably read about 10 books by him (many are VERY good such as Guns of the South), but got tired of him since his books got formulaic and generic.

4. Peter: did you know Brandon in real life and that is how you got hired?

5. Will Brandon post on these forums anymore ? I understand he is busy.

6. Brandon plans to release Way of Kings and the next WoT book this year right? How often does he plan to release Way of King books? Is this going to be a 20+ year series like WoT? (that is ok. I am not kid and I am patient).

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2010, 03:48:53 AM »
WoT is the priority right now... WoK is being revised while WoT is being written. This is apparently much easier than writing 2 books at once. He spends a significant amount of time writing (i've heard 14 hours a day but who knows) and i would be very dissapointed and surprised to see him become generic... his books so far do not follow the same lines as the people he studied i.e. Robert Jordan.

Edit: the time span between books for RJ was only exusable do to the fact that they were, in my opinion, that damn good, and also he was busy fighting an illness. W/o the illness (yeah i'm a newcomer to the series in late 2005) the gaps are still somewhat inexusable, you shouldn't have to reread a series b/c the last book came out 3 years ago, repeatedly.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:53:11 AM by Six More Weeks of Kaz »
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz