Author Topic: Starcraft 2 [Rumored..... NO MORE!!!] ;D  (Read 8352 times)

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
Starcraft 2 [Rumored..... NO MORE!!!] ;D
« on: February 07, 2007, 12:01:25 AM »
http://pc.ign.com/objects/850/850126.html

Apparantly Blizzard let it on (according to IGN) that they might be working on Starcraft 2.

Personally, this was my favorite RTS of all time for its day (I like more now, but not as much as I liked Starcraft then)

So, I can only hope that this is true as I feel kinda jaded that they did a second Warcraft theme (that I don't even play) before going back to Starcraft.

I am very stoked at this possibility.   :D 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 04:18:21 PM by FirstMateJack »
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Starcraft 2 [rumored] ?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 01:00:52 AM »
From what I've read in interview of Blizzard peeps the next game they're working on is a MMO but not an RPG and that "it would be great if Starcraft 2 is out before 2009" so I would easily venture a guess that Starcraft 2 is a MMORTS that will be on-line only (and require a monthly fee).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 06:13:56 PM »
Huh, so... I would make a base.... next to 250 others playing around me.. and have to make alliances and destroy other bases that are all around me?
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 12:35:57 AM »
Most likely it would be something like Shattered Galaxy, where you don't have to always be online to defend yourself--you could hop on, build up, fight, and then log off when you're done.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 06:30:38 PM »
I could see them using the StarCraft world, races, etc, but I think the strategy would have to change significantly for an MMORPG.  Expand into questing and such where you'd have goals besides just the build, defend, expand.  I'm personally interested in seeing what they come up with.  I love SC and we still tend to play in the evenings at work.  Na bad for a game that's over a decade old.
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 09:44:46 PM »
So, Starcraft 2 was finally announced yesterday! This will be the first game I buy since Diablo II came out.
http://www.starcraft2.com

It's not an MMORPG. It's basically just Starcraft, updated, with new units and stuff. I can't think of anything Starcraft fans could want more.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 01:10:14 PM »
* SaintEhlers takes it home and puts it on his shelf

I cannot say how great this is to hear on a Monday morning.

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 04:17:09 PM »
Honestly, I couldn't be more excited about this. It isn't some new MMO, it doesn't have freaky hero units you have to level up. It's just Starcraft 2, an update to the most perfectly balanced RTS ever made.

And man, this isn't an announcemend of just *working* on it, you can find actual gameplay trailers on the site. This game is functional! I'm sure it will still be a while, but dang, I have no idea how they kept his under wraps for so long.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 09:33:43 PM »
My understanding it that this game was being worked on when WoW was still in Beta, several of the Blizz employees talked about "the next game", that it was playable and fun but still quite a ways off.  Of course that could be a game that got canceled, but from looking at those alpha shots I wouldn't be surprised if this game has been around for quite some time.

I'm also pleasantly surprised to find this isn't a monthly fee game because that's the route so many are taking, even though I'm not a Starcraft or RTS fan.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 10:13:31 PM »
Hooray, huzzah, hooray! I find it very bizarre that they're sticking with just three races, but I'm not going to complain. It's freaking Starcraft 2!

edit: I just watched the gameplay video, and holy crap. That's all I can say. I was squealing like a little girl the whole time.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 01:49:04 AM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 06:22:49 AM »
Me too. I was just drooling.

I watched the trailers on IGN, because they had the gameplay up there before it went up on Blizzard's site. There's just the one gameplay video, but they broke it into 4 long sections, and a few shorter clips here and there. They had one clip that was the end of the video, but recorded with audience reaction when they showed it on the big screen in Korea. When the GG came up, everyone laughed and cheered. Made me wish I was there.

I love those jumping marines, and those War of the Worlds walker things (Colossus). Sweeet.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 02:06:03 PM »
Hooray, huzzah, hooray! I find it very bizarre that they're sticking with just three races, but I'm not going to complain. It's freaking Starcraft 2!

edit: I just watched the gameplay video, and holy crap. That's all I can say. I was squealing like a little girl the whole time.
That surprises me too. Since there are several built in possibilities to the story already. You could separate the Earth forces from the Terrans. Still the same "race" but it seems to me that separate development would come up with separate technologies. The same for the Zerg. You could resurrect the overmind, and then Kerrigan and the Overmind could control different types of zerg mutant creatures. Plust the... whatever you call 'em... the creator race could come back.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 05:17:41 PM »
It has since occurred to me that we're just assuming three races because they haven't shown any more--I don't think they've come out and said that there won't be new ones. They did the same thing with Warcraft 3: they announced just two races, and then slowly revealed the other two as it got closer to launch.

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 05:19:52 PM »
Actually, they have come out and said there will be 3 races. They mentioned that the Xel'Naga will play a big part in the story campaigns, but won't be a playable race.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 05:21:30 PM »
Again, though, that's what they said about Warraft 3.