Author Topic: HaloClix  (Read 6639 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
HaloClix
« on: February 03, 2007, 04:38:08 AM »
Yep, so the next clix games is a halo based one--yes the same Halo as the video game
http://www.wizkidsgames.com/wk_article.asp?cid=41237&frame=company

Looks like that the figures will be larger the normal clix, plus fully posable so more like GIJoe figures on clix bases.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: HaloClix
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 01:43:17 PM »
... you'll excuse me if I'm not remotely interested in this one.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 04:41:34 PM »
It sounds too much like their Shadowrun game, which died at birth. Of course, Halo is realy hot right now, and nobody remembers Shadowrun except old geeks like us (hardly the target audience for the game they developed). So it might work better. Seems weird, though.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 04:22:12 AM »
I really don't see Halo as being popular enough to work as a Clix set. I'm just not seeing the appeal.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
Halo is very, very popular.  Halo 2 made as much in one weekend, if not more, as many blockbuster movies.  The books and comics also sell very well.  Personally I think this is a good license move for WK if they want to branch out past the comic nerds.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 10:17:55 PM »
Halo is very, very popular.  Halo 2 made as much in one weekend, if not more, as many blockbuster movies.  The books and comics also sell very well.  Personally I think this is a good license move for WK if they want to branch out past the comic nerds.

That is a good point, but from people I've talked to, most major video games make more in one weekend than a blockbuster movie. Video games sell for more than movie tickets and movies have been losing money for several years now. Video games are on the rise as the next big form of entertainment.

I just can't think of a lot of games that have done well that were based on another game that wasn't just an expansion. Hence I'm wondering how this will work out for WK. Why play HaloClix when you can play Halo? I guess if you can't afford the electricity bill.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 10:31:32 PM »
You second argument is a valid one but your first isn't , most VGs only sell a few hundered thousand copies and there are usally only 10-15 that sell more then a million in a year which would be 60 million.  Halo 2 made $125 million in one day.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 06:03:19 PM »
I know several people who slaver madly over the entire Halo franchise. 

I can't picture any of them suddenly getting into a clix type game.  They all like Halo because of the fast twitch gaming, sniper kills, and late night energy drink consumption.  Only one of those would satisfactorily transfer to a clix game and it's not the important one.

edit:  although, now that I think about it, they would probably buy a figure or two just to have around.  Not to play, just to play with, if you take my meaning.  Maybe that's what they're counting on?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 06:05:04 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 06:09:07 PM »
Dono.

EUOL says that the Halo books are some of Tors best sellers, also the WoW CCG does really well outside of the MMO.

I would venture a guess to say that with how many people who like Halo (and it's in the millions, more then WoW) of WK can get just 5% they're doing well.