Author Topic: LTUE  (Read 3865 times)

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
LTUE
« on: February 02, 2007, 04:32:54 PM »
This thread is primarily for those who will be attending the Life, the Universe, and Everything Science Fiction and Fantasy Symposium at BYU in Provo, Utah in mid February.  Not to be exclusive or anything, just putting the thread in context.

So I have returned to TWG wanting to know if anyone is getting together during LTUE, and have no tolerance for scouring the boards searching for a discussion of this topic which probably exists but in some other thread called "amazing things on the internet" or "why I hate Nutella" or some other nonsense like that :).  So--is anyone planning any get-togethers during LTUE?  My wife is abandoning me that week and I'd like something to do besides go home after work and be by myself.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: LTUE
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 04:47:06 PM »
well, there's this one: http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=5144.0
and you really do need to hang around more.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 08:12:30 PM »
That's more of a Pre-LTUE party but I don't know what else people are going to do besides maybe dinner/lunch one day since Stacer is probably leaving saturday right after the con.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 08:57:17 PM »
Definitely, let's plan on lunch. Here's my schedule. EUOL should probably share his schedule, too, and anyone else involved with panels. That way we can see where we are with people having to be on panels.

Thurs. 9:00 am: Reception/Book Signing
Thurs. 1:00: School and Library Visits
Thurs. 2:00: The First Paragraph Decision

Fri. 9:00am: Publicity and Self-promotion
Fri. 2:00: Main Address
Fri. 3:00: Where is the YA Science Fiction?
Fri. 4:00: Understanding the Slush Pile

Sat. 10:30 – 10:55 am: SF: Expressing Individuality And “It’s Okay To Be Different”
Sat. 1:30 – 1:55 pm: Give A Kid A Book: What Books Are Best For Kids?
Sat. 4:00 pm: Second-class Citizens
Sat. 5:00 pm: How to Get the Attention of Publishers and Agents
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 08:02:42 PM »
I'm going to be in town for it. Lunch would be fun--I love food.  ;D
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 04:44:15 PM »
I wasn't planning to go, but my work schedule has recently changed a bit and I am now able to attend the entire conference! I don't know if I will, but I'll certainly try to hit most of Sacer and EUOL's stuff (and network for job leads).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 01:44:35 AM »
I'm planning on going to what I can.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 04:08:32 AM »
* Shrain mopes.

Wish I could hang out at LTUE. That'd be fun.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 04:18:57 AM »
I'm hoping I'll be able to get enough time off work to actually attend some of LTUE. I'll be on campus the whole time, just not at LTUE.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 10:43:26 PM »
I'm planning on going to a bunch of LTUE.  Although, I don't really know anyone on this site, so I can't say as that I'd be hanging out with much anyone else...
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 02:22:11 AM »
Okay, so I'm headed out early tomorrow morning. Most of you have my cell phone, but for those who don't, PM me and I'll send it to you. I'm apparently booked for lunches somehow or other through LTUE?? I have no idea how that's working. So I'm bringing my minis with me to the show and if someone is around and we have free time, we might be able to break them out for a short time in the Cougareat, who knows. We'll play it by ear. I'm still free Thursday night, too, for anyone wanting to hang out. Though with this sinus infection I might just go home and sleep early, because I'm always exhausted right now.

I say that barring me being dragged off every day by con people for lunch, let's try to cobble together a lunch for Friday of anyone who is around. I've been invited to lunch Saturday by one of the panelists, so I'm already spoken for that day.

Friday night, all the girls are invited to a girls' night in. A friend of mine from another walk of life has offered her place and says she's going to make it a pasta night. She also has a hot tub, so you're encouraged to bring a suit and towel.

Here's the info on that:

This Friday Feb 16th
My Place about 7-ish or 8-ish (i'll be home both times so just show up)
I've decided I'm cooking...and it's gonna be: Pasta.
I haven't had pasta fest yet.

Someone bring:
drinks
French bread
paper plates
napkins
paper cups.

It'll be all sorts of groovyish.

Oh, there's a slight chance we can slip into the hottub.... ( Hey, I'm just sayin...)

...Actually come to think of it, I'm not sure she specified it would be a girls' night (it was something we threw around, but it didn't really get pinned down).

I think we should all just plan to head over there together, whoever wants to go. It's relatively down the street from MsFish's place, so why don't we say meet at MsFish's and head over, if that's okay with her (and if she wants to go)? I'll be calling everyone to coordinate, but I figured posting here initially about it would be the best way to let everyone know about it.

Also, if a girls' night doesn't actually happen that night (because craziness ensues when I try to mesh my different social circles together), I also want to make sure my friend Cassy meets you guys who are on BYU campus. She's the friend I'm staying with, who was in my children's lit master's program at Simmons. She works in the BYU library and I told her I'd introduce you all. Somehow or other, this will be accomplished!

See you Thursday! (or Friday or Saturday)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 02:24:53 AM by stacer »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 05:31:31 AM »
Okay, update. Everyone is invited, guys and girls, to the party Friday night. I'm thinking I'll only go for a short time, though, because of the whole sinus thing I'm dealing with. I get people overload really easily when I feel like this and don't tend to like large crowds of strangers (unless they're talking books, for some reason. Then I can at least think straight, usually).

Anyway, if you're interested in going to the thing Friday, let me know and we'll make arrangements. Otherwise, I'll see you all at LTUE or Rifftrax.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 09:58:15 PM »
It was interesting to be on a panel for the first time, though I really think it was a wasted opportunity for the people that came to the panel internet advertising, which frankly was a bad label for what people wanted to know, and it was lead in a repetitive direction by the moderator.

It should have been an audience Q&A since the only questions we answered were those of the moderator and it felt like she was hogging the time just one personal interests instead of trying to help those in attendance get the most out of their time.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 05:57:23 PM »
The panel you were on, Spriggan, wasn't that great because the moderator wasn't as well informed as she could have been. Still, it was a good panel to offer.

Overall, I think LTUE was rather good this year. It seemed more organized and professional than it has been in some time.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 06:28:40 PM »
I don't care for or see the point of having a panel where only one person gets to not only ask the questions but think them up as well, a moderator would work if they took audience submitted questions.

I'm quite surprised people come to these things, it's so hit or miss on whether or not people will talk about what you want to hear because that's solely dependent on one person.

But ya, the moderator was fixated on 2 things:
1) The recipe for quick success on the web
2) why don't people write more about how to get publishers to buy your stuff

I think a lot of people that were there want quick answers and don't realize that both of those questions have the same answer, there is no quick and easy way.  I'm glad Howard Taylor was there though, it was nice to not only have someone else in the room that understood that but also someone who makes a living based off his website.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:36:00 PM by Spriggan »