Author Topic: Belated Congratulations on Elantris  (Read 4139 times)

Agavaughn

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Belated Congratulations on Elantris
« on: January 20, 2007, 05:15:45 AM »
      I'm new, both to these forums and to the author.  I have just over 100 pages left and have arrived at that inevitable place in a great book where one dreads the finish.  Just wanted to express my appreciation for the author's courage in sharing his gift.  I know from experience how daunting it can be to stand naked before an unknown audience and sing from your soul.  Many thanks and much encouragement.  I will purchase Mistborn next and try to catch up on Warbreaker.  Oh, and hello to all the great fans here, I hope to be a regular. 
Amo vincit omnia

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Belated Congratulations on Elantris
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 10:05:16 PM »
A belated thanks to your belated congratulations:

Well, thanks for stopping by!  I'm glad you liked the book.  It is a little nerve-wracking sometimes to do this (particularly when I am foolish enough to pause and read Amazon reviews.  There are plenty of good ones, but for some reason it seems human nature to only notice the bad ones.)

Let me know what you thought of Mistborn.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Agavaughn

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 04:04:30 AM »
I finished Elantris and will pick up Mistborn this week.  I have a 13 year old son and am recommending Elantris to him after he finishes Eldest.  I absolutely love the lesson in the evolution of the character Hrathen.  It is difficult, as a parent, to teach a child in the christian faith without unintentionally indoctrinating religious bigotry.  There are so few mainstream examples to draw upon which are not charged with blatant sectarian agendas.  Your management of the Hrathen character allows us all to see ourselves reflected for better and worse.  I hope my son is in a talkative mood when he finishes.  Thanks again.         
Amo vincit omnia

jeroemba

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 07:03:26 PM »
Thanks a lot for Elantris, Mr Sanderson.  I really enjoyed this novel.
You might be interested to know that your books are  also read by foreigners (i'm French), and i'm sure that a translated version could sell well here in France.
I wonder how many people discovered Elantris jus like me, with Orson Scott Card review of Elantris on his web site...
I hope that you'll have huge success with your career and i look forward for your next books.

Merci et au revoir !

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 01:38:51 AM »
Jeroemba,

Thanks so much for the compliments!  France is a great place.  I did foreign exchange there when I was in high school, and fell completely in love with your bread and cheese.  Mmmmm...

Elantris WILL be published in French.  We sold rights to a publisher known as Calmann-Lévy.  However, I don't think they're planning on printing it until spring of next year!  I don't know why they're taking so long.  However, if you fire me off an email through my website, I'll send you a note when it comes out in French.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Merlin

• Level 2
  • Lost in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 08:13:59 AM »
And so I got here at last, all the way from Poland :) Elantris will be out here within a month, we finished with the last touches this week.

Yes, congratulations for both the idea and logic behind it, for realistic and charming people - I loved Sarene's view of the women, Raoden's wise acceptance and so on, although my personal favorites are Seons :) In some way I found them really enchanting and their usefulness as mobiles is amazing.

Waiting for the Sun...

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 04:41:34 PM »
And so I got here at last, all the way from Poland :) Elantris will be out here within a month, we finished with the last touches this week.

Did you help with the Polish edition?  You said you do translations?
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Merlin

• Level 2
  • Lost in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 08:51:04 AM »
Yes I did. In fact, I was the translator. And the book is already in the bookstores.

Now I'm waiting for "Mistborn" and I hope I'll enjoy it as much as I did Elantris.  In fact, I came here also for some help :)

Something's wrong... I tried to post by Quick reply and it said I've already posted it...
Waiting for the Sun...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 04:04:57 AM »
What sort of help were you looking for?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Merlin

• Level 2
  • Lost in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 06:52:58 AM »
Well, sometimes I had a bit of trouble with Seons and their gender, this sort of things, or something was unclear to me. Everything is OK, though, I solved them, but still I can encounter similar ones with Mistborn.

When I was working with Star Wars series, this kind of problems was very frequent. For example in English when you say "Ashe said" or "Ashe floated" the gender doesn't matter until you have to say "his" or "he". In Polish the gender is applied to all adjectives, to verbs in simple past and so on, thus you must know the gender from the very beginning, at the moment of appearance of the person.  So if I pop up with a question "XXX is a boy or a girl?" please don't laugh at me and don't ban me.

But anyway, Elantris was a delight also for translation :), you cannot imagine what mistakes authors are doing sometimes - a person departs in X-wing and lands in B-wing, a male general becomes female in the middle of the book and so on, and Elantris was a revelation for me, because besides being really good as a story, it was also extremely well and carefully written.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 07:12:14 AM by Merlin »
Waiting for the Sun...

Lightningfall

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 06:36:00 AM »
I'd like to add my congratulations  to the pot.  I enjoyed Elantris immensely.  Then I read Mistborn and was blown away again.  Now I'm reading an ARC copy of The Well Of Ascension and I have to say, wow!  Don't worry, I won't ruin it for anyone, but so far its looking to be at least as good if not better than the first.  So, well done Brandon and keep up the good work.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 08:17:42 PM »
I work in localization myself, and there are lots of times I wish I could ask the author a few questions. It seems like the Japanese aren't too keen on that though, for some reason. Well, they're busy people—if editors/translators from all the different countries were always pestering them with questions, I suppose it could get quite annoying.

Now I'm reading an ARC copy of The Well Of Ascension and I have to say, wow!
You're going to make some people here jealous with talk like that.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!