Author Topic: Alcatraz cover art?  (Read 7596 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Alcatraz cover art?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 03:25:29 AM »
Fun cover, Potteresque feel and all, though I think it's hilarious that Scholastic couldn't see any resemblance there. As for the new subtitle, I think it adds a smidge more humor/interest to the book because a bag o' sand seems like a much more ridiculous thing to squabble over than the "sands of Rashid" which could be a whole country. Not that I know--I didn't read this ms. But it looks like a zestful romp of a book, based on the cover. I'll probably buy it for my cousin and read it myself too.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 04:11:24 AM »
Heh. A very fun cover. But, I wonder whether having a model on the front cover could cause some (probably minor) casting problems in the future should Alcatraz ever become a movie.

Pterath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 04:02:48 AM »
My 7 year old is reading Harry Potter and Bridge to Tarabithia granted they are my copies but the way they teach phonetics to kids these days, she sounds out most words or asks for my help.  More often the problems come in her understanding the language and defining some words but she was using words like, actually, in context at age 4.  My 3 year old uses scrumptious, in context.  (I do not baby talk my kids.  I say a word they don't understand and they ask.  next thing I know is they are using it.) So Rashid.... not too hard to believe they would figure it out.  Or ask once and most kids would remember it especially if they are enjoying the book.  However, the subtitle is kind of fun.  Battle over the Bag of Sand... now why on Earth would you fight over sand, even a whole bag of it? And what does that have to do with evil Librarians? If I did not know Brandon's work I would buy it out of curiosity.  because there has to be more to it than just sand.

Potterishness aside, nice cover.

Kel

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 07:36:39 PM »
I also like the battle over the bag of sand. It adds an element of silliness that is both appropriate for the book and very intriguing. Like people have said, it begs the question, "Why would you battle over a bag of sand?"
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Swiggly

• Level 4
  • Here's for trying, rhymes with dying
    • View Profile
    • Gaia Online Account
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 08:46:38 PM »
I can't wait to read this book, even if it is young adult. Heck, it might even end up on the bestseller list!
I want to be a publisher at Tor Fantasy when I grow up.

YAY

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 06:59:17 PM »
I can't wait to read this book, even if it is young adult. Heck, it might even end up on the bestseller list!

I agree 100%.  I'm fairly new to Brandon's work, but absolutely loved both his books so far (as have at least 5 other people I've shared them with).

I saw the name Alcatraz in various places on his site, but had no idea it was a young adult book.  That makes me even more anxious to read it.  I was never really a reader growing up, but during college I got into the Harry Potter series, which converted me.  I think I hated reading in school because it was always 'work' to read.  There was some deeper meaning or something I had to analyze, which in general turned me off.

With Harry Potter, I discovered that reading can be fun.  There are plenty of books out there that you can just come home from work or what not, sit back and enjoy.  Just easy reading that is pure entertainment, something you can just dive into and smile about without putting a lot of effort into.  I love books like that.

The first few books I read (HP series, Narnia and Eragon series) got me so in tuned with the 'younger' books, that when I first read a larger series (GRRM's) I felt a little weird reading about all the 'adult' things that took place.

I've yet to read something from Brandon I didn't find absolutely brilliant.  I can't wait to pick this one up and see how he does with a slightly different goal.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 11:11:48 PM »
I would suggest trying the Warbreaker book, which is his online offering, if you haven't already. :) He is accepting, and asking for, comments and any suggestions about this one, and in my opinion it is coming along nicely. I think that you will enjoy it, especially if you like his others.

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 11:33:49 PM »
I would suggest trying the Warbreaker book, which is his online offering, if you haven't already. :) He is accepting, and asking for, comments and any suggestions about this one, and in my opinion it is coming along nicely. I think that you will enjoy it, especially if you like his others.

I have been very tempted to do so.  I need some kind of fix while waiting for the next Mistborn book.  The only thing keeping me from doing so thus far is the digital format.  I'm so used to grabbing a book and hitting one of my overly comfortable reading spots.  I'm not sure if I could sit for long periods reading text on my computer screen.   I will probably give it a shot.  Chances are I'll get so into it I won't even realize I'm scrolling my mouse instead of turning pages.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 11:44:45 PM »
Warbreaker is a traditional Sanderson book you can know what to expect from. Alcatraz is narratively a departure from his older-aimed books and is much more experimental.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 12:20:27 AM »
Phaz, if you're  REALLY  hooked on your reading spot, you can always print out the pages and read them. Once you catch up, it's not so bad to read the one chapter a week on-line. It's well worth the time investment.
Work is like fertilizer in that I'm very glad it exists--I just don't ever want to get stuck in it
(Lightsong in Warbreaker)

Robert_Boyd

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 07:12:31 AM »
I don't like how Harry Potterish the boy looks, but I like the title font (like an old serial) & the subtitle.  Cover aside, it's a really fun book: like a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy aimed at the Young Adult crowd.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2007, 08:47:48 PM »
Full jacket art here (warning, it's about a meg in size):

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/graphics/Alcatrazjacketlong.jpg

Deseret News just decided to do a feature article on me, which should be pretty cool.  I did an interview/photoshoot.  We'll see what they come up with.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2007, 09:16:56 PM »
Karma-wise, this definitely makes up for the Mistborn 2 cover. ;p
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2007, 10:12:50 PM »
Scholastic is doing a great job with this so far. And just because I don't think I've said it enough:

Middle grade! Middle grade! Middle grade!  ;)

(Not that teens won't love it, too, I'm sure...)
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Swiggly

• Level 4
  • Here's for trying, rhymes with dying
    • View Profile
    • Gaia Online Account
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2007, 06:12:34 AM »
[size=10]I love how the cover art makes Brandon sound Lemony-ish.[/size]
I want to be a publisher at Tor Fantasy when I grow up.

YAY