Author Topic: Alcatraz cover art?  (Read 7792 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Alcatraz cover art?
« on: January 20, 2007, 12:23:17 AM »
Over at Ken Jennings' blog he said the following:
The cover art he showed us made me think Scholastic is hoping Alcatraz will be The Next Harry Potter, so maybe Brandon will be a billionaire this time next year.
Has there been a thread on this before that I just missed? Or are you not allowed to share this information on the intertubes yet?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Alcatraz cover art?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 08:38:22 PM »
Tentative Mock up here:

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 09:34:30 PM »
Ha ha ha ha...I like it a lot! Nice face in the lens.

Karen says he looks way too much like Harry Potter and should have a different haircut/hair color...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shuez

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • R. Schuyler Devin - Writer, Poet, Artist, Techgeek
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 11:45:59 AM »
I am buying this book; I like what I heard at Brandon's Reading. I am also making a friend of mine purchase it since she reads alot of 'young adult' fiction  :)

I sincerely hope it sells substantially, generates a positive buzz, and gives Brandon at least 5% of the monetary success that J.K. Rowlings has experienced!
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."

- Albert Einstein

"You have only just begun to gauge the depth of your ignorance yet you use it as the foundation for a towering confidence." - from the novel Black Brillion by Matthew Hughes

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 06:45:25 AM »
Thanks, Shuez!

Ookla, 

I tried and tried to get them to make his hair to be blonde, or at least have blonde highlights, but Scholastic said.  "That's silly.  He looks nothing like Harry Potter!  And...uh...if he did, it wouldn't be intentional at all.  Nope."

I think I'm out of luck there, though I can't complain too much, since I love the cover otherwise. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 07:49:29 AM »
I think it's a pretty awesome cover and have no problem with how Potterian he looks. :)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 04:58:20 PM »
He actually looks surprisingly like EUOL when he was that age which I think is cool.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 07:58:05 PM »
Ooh, the conspiracy deepens! Scholastic obviously has access to some Librarian time travel device--this is obviously all a clever attempt at misdirection by hiding the truth in plain sight.

Shuez

• Level 3
  • R. Schuyler Devin - Writer, Poet, Artist, Techgeek
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 11:09:48 PM »
It really is a fantastic cover. I mentioned in the Mistborn paperback thread how covers affect my decision to buy a book from an author I am not familiar with. The Elantris cover, made me buy the book. If I did not already know Brandon's work, then the Mistborn cover would have influenced me to purchase the book. Again--If I did not already know Brandon's work--the Alcatraz cover sitting in the 'new arrivals' section of B&N or Borders would emphatically make me purchase this book.
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."

- Albert Einstein

"You have only just begun to gauge the depth of your ignorance yet you use it as the foundation for a towering confidence." - from the novel Black Brillion by Matthew Hughes

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 11:31:17 PM »
I love this cover!

However, if I were EUOL, I also would have asked to make Alcatraz look less Harry-Potter-ish. Why couldn't he have blonde hair? Or a lighter shade of brown? Or even brown eyes--not greeny blue, which also tie back to Potter. What's wrong with the blonde, brown eyed children of the world?!? (I ask this partly because I was a blonde, brown eyed child when I was young.  ;))
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 01:37:11 AM »
My younger sister is a so-dark-brown-it's-almost-black-eyed blonde! Coincidence? I think not!

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 05:40:02 PM »
I *really* like this cover and I thinkĀ  it will attract people. I know that that is what attracted me to the Harry Potter books. I remember walking through the BYU bookstore, seeing it on a display, and thinking, "That looks like an interesting book. I should check it out." Surprisingly I had not heard of Harry Potter at this point. Anyway, it was finals and so I didn't have time right then, but when I went home for Christmas, my sister had it and because I recognized that it was the same book from the store, I immediately read it.

My only issue with the cover is the title, "The Battle over the Bag of Sand." What happened to the Sands of Rashid? Sounds much cooler than bag of sand. Other than that, it looks very cool.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 05:41:49 PM by Tink »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 06:12:01 PM »
But the new subtitle sounds goofy, a point in its favor. (Though the "o" in "over" should be lowercased.) "Rashid" may prove unpronounceable for many children.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
Oh, I'm sure they'd catch on. We're talking middle schoolers, so that sort of thing I really don't worry about.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 02:14:28 AM »
I like the cover art for this book very much :D If I had children in this age range I would definitely buy it for them. I might just buy it for them now and let them grow into it. After I get to read it first that is ;)