Author Topic: Help! I have a Worldcon Ballot and don't know what to do with it.  (Read 1510 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
A little while ago I received the Hugo Nomination Ballot for Nippon 2007. Apparently I get to vote, even though it's doubtful I'm going, because I was a supporting member for the 2006 Worldcon. I know I'm not alone in this, so other people must have received these ballots.

I'm happy to vote for Brandon Sanderson where I can. For best novel in 2006, I'm definitely putting Mistborn as one of the choices, because it's awesome. Now, can I vote for any other sf/fan book in that category--even YA? Or does it have to be adult sf/fan? Is it better not to vote for other choices, because that gives EUOL a better chance?

For the Campbell award, I wondered if I can again vote for Brandon Sanderson, because it is an author whose work appeared first in 2005 and 2006. Since Elantris was published in 2005, that should work. Except I'm not sure what they mean by "a professional publication." Does that mean it has to be a magazine, or a book? Let me know if I can vote for you there or not, EUOL!

The rest of the stuff, I'm not sure. If you people have suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. I'd like to look at the stuff myself, if possible, so I can feel good about voting for it. However, since I don't have any strong opinions, I don't mind considering helping someone who does to get their thing noticed.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Help! I have a Worldcon Ballot and don't know what to do with it.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 10:03:06 PM »
Chimera,

I would be happy to get nominations for both the Campbell award (which I'm eligible for this year) and the Hugo.  Don't worry about decreasing my chances by nominating other people; follow your heart, and nominate what you think is best.  YA books are eligible as long as they are at least 40k words.  (Goblet of Fire won in 2001.)

Stephen Martinere--as an artist--did some excellent work this year.  You can nominate without citing publications on him; they'll know who he is.  Jon Foster did the artwork for Mistborn, in case anyone is interested.

It's best to try nominating a few things in each category you do use for nominations.  My guess is that Naomi Novik is going to take the Campbell this year, but I'd love another nomination, since it gets me a nifty Hugo pin to wear around and look cool.  Plus, who knows?  Maybe the Japanese will love Elantris enough to get me some votes. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 10:53:31 PM »
There are some very significant errors in the nomination form. According to Hugo rules, the Editor nomination lines should NOT say "& Title" like they do.

Since Worldcon 2007 is in Japan, I am considering nominating significant Japanese contributions to the field. If other people are interested, I'll post some recommendations here. The dealine for nominations isn't until March 3, so there's some time to pull a list together.

Eligible titles:
  • Works first published anywhere in the world in 2006
  • Works first published in English in 2006
  • Works first published in the U.S.A. in 2006
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 11:18:54 PM »
Yeah, the Hugo committee says they may have to send another round of ballots.  What a pain.  (And I still haven't gotten mine, though I emailed them with my address change.

Japanese offerings would be way cool, Ookla.  Post away.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 12:40:07 AM »
Unless they came today, we didn't get ours yet either. What e-mail address did you send the change to?

Oh--I read that they did not send out ballots to anyone who is registered for Nippon 2007. Just people who attended LA Con IV but have not yet registered for Nippon 2007. 2007 members will get their ballots in the next Progress Report mailing. (We are not 2007 members and probably won't become ones.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 12:42:09 AM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!