Author Topic: Avatar Movie by Shyamalan  (Read 4497 times)

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« on: January 10, 2007, 12:00:18 AM »
M. Night Shyamalan is going to adapt the popular Nickelodeon TV Series into a live-action film. No, I'm not joking! (Link courtesy of Mad Dr. Jeffe.)

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm a fan of Shyamalan's work, and a major fan of the TV Series. But the series has done it so well, do we really need a live-action version? What can it add, except a lot of CGI effects for the "bending"? And sometimes Shyamalan lets his ego get the better of him, and his work suffers. However, he is finally outsourcing for his material, and that could be a good move.

Who knows. It may be awhile until we see this, since the article pointed out at the end that Avatar might not even be the next project Shyamalan takes on. Here's hoping if it does come to life, it's good.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Avatar Movie by Shyamalan
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 01:01:36 AM »
Shyamalan is a stunning director, it's his writing that's hit and miss. If he's doing someone else's story with someone else's script, it could be awesome.

As for what a live version could probably offer, Shyamalan's main strengths are in character and mood, not effects. His version of a property as cool as Avatar is likely to be well-rounded, personal, and appealing to a wide range of viewers that wouldn't bother with a cartoon.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 04:36:05 PM »
Well, this link says he's writing, directing, and producing it. So hopefully it won't be a miss.

That's true, about him focusing on character rather than special effects. And about it appealing to people who wouldn't watch Avatar otherwise, because it's a cartoon. I forget about that silly prejudice at times, because I don't have it, and happen to like cartoons. ;)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 04:57:18 PM »
and happen to like cartoons. ;)

That's alright in my book. A grown woman can watch whatever she chooses, just as well as a grown man can read whatever he chooses. Be it a comic book or some high fantasy novel, or something published by a credible scientist.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 06:18:11 PM »
I love this cartoon for what it is, and I see many of the same problems arising that you all have mentioned previously. I have a really hard time seeing where the effects are going to be able to be the way that we expect them to be in this story. We have such an outstanding example, and it is pretty detailed in the way that the magic works, not in theory but being physically shown. If I was to have reservations about this project, and I kind of do, that is the major point for me. My hope is that it will be so good it will prove me wrong for having such doubts :)

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 12:38:55 AM »
This gave us a good laugh over in lj land, so I thought I'd share it here too. (Note: Avoid reading the comments if you're sensitive to language.)

The Avatar Live-Action Movie Cast List

;D

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 01:38:56 AM »
That is funny.

But it does remind me that Avatar does some interesting things with it's people. A lot of the characters are kind of racially mixed. It would be cool if they could keep that in a live-action version. I work with a guy who has dark-hair, bronze skin tone and bright-blue eyes like Katara and Sokka, but I doubt they'll find a lot of actors with that sort of multi-racial genetics.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 01:46:19 AM »
This gave us a good laugh over in lj land, so I thought I'd share it here too. (Note: Avoid reading the comments if you're sensitive to language.)

The Avatar Live-Action Movie Cast List

;D
*Ahem*

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 08:43:46 AM »
Oh, right. The link is courtesy of Oldie Locks! She's the genius who found it!

*Chimera bows in humble apology*

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 07:39:29 PM »
Thanks to this thread I've been watching Avatar with my children.  Lot's of fun!

Chimera (or anyone else), do you have other recommendations?
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 02:23:43 AM »
Hmm. Give me some time to think.

Do you mean children's shows you can watch with your kids and enjoy yourself? Or something else?

One I love is Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide on Nickelodeon. It's super-campy and very exaggerated, but I find it hilarious. And I've always been a big fan of Kim Possible on Disney--I've made a few TWGers watch episodes--and they actually liked them!  ;)

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 05:31:46 AM »
Do you mean children's shows you can watch with your kids and enjoy yourself?

Yes.

Thanks for the other recommendations!
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 06:24:53 PM »
Hmm. Give me some time to think.

Do you mean children's shows you can watch with your kids and enjoy yourself? Or something else?

One I love is Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide on Nickelodeon. It's super-campy and very exaggerated, but I find it hilarious. And I've always been a big fan of Kim Possible on Disney--I've made a few TWGers watch episodes--and they actually liked them!  ;)

My husband likes Kim Possible as well (as do I), partly because he likes the artwork. He's really disgusted by the art on many new cartoons on Cartoon Network (sorry I can't remember which ones in particular). I find it very funny and the characters are quirky which makes them fun to watch.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 10:49:28 PM »
My recommendation would be Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, and Ben 10.

From an animation stand point, the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy is the weakest, with Foster's having the strongest with both style and ingenuity.

Billy and Mandy is a little inappropriate at times for younger children, but it is so funny. Particularly if you are sci-fi/fantasy/gaming nerd.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 12:00:23 AM »
I like Ben 10, when I've caught it. I think it is a great concept and I like the characters, too. Grandpa is particularly cool.

Another Nickelodeon one I like is Danny Phantom. It's like the Ghost Busters of the 21st century. Almost all the adults in the show are a little strange, so if that bothers you in cartoons, you might not like it. I love it. I think the scenes with Danny's family are some of my favorites, particularly his dad's comments. Oh, and whenever the English teacher "swears" he uses a title of a classic work, like "Moby Dick!" or "Great Expectations!"  :D So funny.