Author Topic: TWG Comic  (Read 10077 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: TWG Comic
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2007, 04:27:45 PM »
Why not having Time-Waster's be a store in the mall
They sell games/books/etc and publish a magazine
voila. Everyone is accomodated.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2007, 07:37:10 PM »
Why not just make the strip about the people on the forum?  Make it a gag-a-day strip that's based around people talking to each other over computers.  Make the characters either regulars on the forum or pseudo regulars on some fictional forum.  Then whenever somebody thinks of a good joke in any setting, they can tell the joke under the idea that they're typing it online--either start or end the panel with the character typing at the computer, staring or ending the narration in computer text above the characters head.  The nice thing about this style is most of the jokes, I would assume, told would be about the online environment that everybody here is familiar with.

As for artists, we could just have anybody who wants to submit their artistic rendition of people on the forum, and we'll take all the EUOLs and vote on them, all the Gorgons and vote on them, all the SEs and vote on them and use those images in the comics cut and paste style.  After the vote is cast, the winning rendition will have to be done from the side talking and not talking, maybe walking from the side--just four or five basic poses.  If you want more than the artist gave, then you'll have to request a new one and either he or she will have time to make a new one or not.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2007, 03:10:45 AM »
I think there should be a character named Chimera who is a sexy geek girl.  ;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2007, 04:00:10 AM »
Why not just make the strip about the people on the forum? Make it a gag-a-day strip that's based around people talking to each other over computers. Make the characters either regulars on the forum or pseudo regulars on some fictional forum. Then whenever somebody thinks of a good joke in any setting, they can tell the joke under the idea that they're typing it online--either start or end the panel with the character typing at the computer, staring or ending the narration in computer text above the characters head. The nice thing about this style is most of the jokes, I would assume, told would be about the online environment that everybody here is familiar with.

Because a comic set on a web forum is... erm... uninteresting. The jokes can also be told by employees just as easily. The employees of this store can be Gorgon and Spriggan and SE and Fell and whathaveyou too, you know.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2007, 03:39:26 PM »
So I was thinking about how much time the artists would be spending on this.

I'm thinking none of the artists want to spend more that 2-3 hours a week working on the comic. None of us want this to become a second job. So 2-3 hours is about enough time to put together a strip with 3-4 cells. And maybe an hour to draw one or two new objects.

To get started we would probably each need to blow a saturday or some other day drawing one character in illustrator with nine angles.

SO that would give us three characters.

I thinking it might be best to not use TWG members since everyone would want to have a character. So to avoid hurt feelings it might be best to use original characters.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2007, 05:20:23 PM »
I definitely agree with using original characters instead of forum members.

As for the 2-3 hours a week drawing thing.  I think it's a bit much.  We could drop that down to reasonable if we went with a cut and paste format as follows:
My proposal is that we start producing character drawings with the nine angle you were talking about. We make 5 or 6 and fiddle with them so we all get an idea of the "style" so we can make new ones look like they fit.  We then make a page or a photobucket account or whatever where they are freely downloadable to our contributors.  The contributors then make the comics, using the stock drawings and their own text, and submit them.  If they're funny, we post them.

This would allow us to try and insist that they all fit the context we choose (shop in mall, publishing house, whatever) or we could just see what random comics/story arcs come out of it. 

If Sprigg got really ambitious maybe he could code up something that allowed contributors to craft the panels, place the text and picture where they wanted them, on the web.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2007, 06:59:37 PM »
if this is really something people are going to presue then I'll do whatever is needed on the tech end be it FTP access (I can create a log-in for just a comic's folder, to doing a full CMS style thing for the comic that lets people create the comics via flash and then uses PHP to display an actual finished image.

Right now though I'm doing EUOL's site redesign so I'd start small and move up as intrest grows.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 09:14:55 PM »
Ideas:

One of the stores in the mall sells costumes/supplies to superheros and employees there regularly have to deal with lame attempts by various villians from getting jobs there so they can  discover identities, sabotage products and deny heroes credit.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2007, 09:18:23 PM »
Hysterical.  It would have to come after the store's purpose and clientele were well established, but that would be awesome.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2007, 02:57:10 PM »
I don't think it would take long to illustrate that basic concept
JUst having one of the characters want to be a superhero, and go shopping at the store.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2007, 04:17:55 PM »
exactly, there's a lot of good humor in this concept.

Since it was my idea I'll work up some store clerks and such for it, I have a few ideas already.