Author Topic: TWG Comic  (Read 10085 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: TWG Comic
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 05:19:15 PM »
Ooh, and an excellent example of a strip where the artist uses the same profiles over and over (with minor changes occasionally) to good effect is http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/current/index.html
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 06:49:43 PM »
I think 30 characters is to many, few webcomics use that amount because it's hard to manage and those that do didn't start with that amount.  I think stickying to 5-6 is better for now so we don't overwhelm ourselves and more importantly our artists.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 07:04:31 PM »
Sure.  I just picked 30 out of the air.  I WAS thinking that most of them would very rarely appear. That there would only be 5 or 6 regulars at the most.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 07:28:21 PM »
We only need to develop a couple of characters to start with, then add more as the project develops.

We do need to decide on what sort of themes we would want to work with. EUOL mentioned that there are a lot of gaming-themed web-comics out there already. Course, TWG is a gaming themed web-site. I guess it depends on how competitive we would want this web-comic to be in the non-lucrative world of web comics.

Now that I think about it, a "writing themed" web-comic that satirizes the world of writing and literature could be fun. Not completely unique, but also appropriate to the site.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 07:49:12 PM »
to be honest, the best comics are buddy themed comics, imo

PvP is great because of the character situations, not the game references.
Even PA which is *the* definitive gaming comic is best when it's not talking strictly about game references.

There are exceptions, but I think that the best plan is a group of characters that are friends. They may play games, they may write, but they're geeks and friends.

The advantage of that approach is if there's a game joke to be made, we can make it. If there's a writing/literature joke to be made, we can make it. If there's something just goofy to be done, we can do it.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 07:53:35 PM »
say the running of  a bookstore, or maybe a video depot, or something akin to Clerks. You know, have a bookstore and video depot next to each other, and the main characters interact with one another in hilarious situations.

Eh?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 07:56:15 PM »
And a coffee shop! and an arcade! and a theater!

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 09:29:19 PM »
don't forget the gym/spa/beauty salon/tanning salon.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 09:40:51 PM »
and the travel agency, and the toy store.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 10:02:20 PM »
I think the publishing angel is a good idea, we could do it inside a fictional comic or book publisher, or just have it be TWG with all of us as the characters.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 11:09:12 PM »
Gaming store in the mall next to a comic shop? With the people from the clothing and gadget stores making appearances, as well as all the funky mall people.  Mall walkers, teen mall rats, homeless people who sit on the benches all day during the winter,  endless possibilities.

I think an initial investment in more than a couple of character sketches will pay big dividends in how easy it will be for people to contribute strip ideas.

Giving them characters is like giving them tools.  The more the better.

But I may be underestimating the effort needed to profile these characters.

-Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 11:30:10 PM »
I like the mall idea. That's a good angle to go at this from.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2007, 11:31:23 PM »
Well, I'm think several hours of drawing to create the multiple views needed for each character.

I like the fictional publisher idea.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2007, 11:53:21 PM »
While I do like the publisher the mall would be an intresting idea since it would allow for people to write for whatever intrests them and not just games, comics or books.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2007, 12:05:53 AM »
Well, I'm think several hours of drawing to create the multiple views needed for each character.

True.  Once we've got 5 or 6 we could start throwing them together for actual strips.  The stable of characters could definitely be ever-growing though, with characters being added as the whim takes us or whoever cares to dream up and submit new characters.

-Fellfrosch