Author Topic: Battlestar Galatica RPG  (Read 1983 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Battlestar Galatica RPG
« on: December 28, 2006, 01:44:37 AM »
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/12/27/6408

Being done by Margaret Weis Productions (same people that did serenity)
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Battlestar Galatica RPG
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 02:24:29 AM »
Not sure how well this will work since the new Battlestar Galactica isn't very action oriented. It also has a rather fixed cast and plot line. The writers do an amazing job of bringing flexibility and originality to what ought to be a basic "the world is over and we are all doomed" set-up.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 11:03:02 AM »
I've seen the Serenity RPG in action. It felt much like a rip-off of savage worlds, with extra dice.

And both games suffer from the intristic problem; their settings totally revolve around the events of the show, and there just isn't enough information to stray too far from the show's premise (traders in space! or whatever). Especially with a military Sci Fi, you run the risk of the PC's being constantly overshadowed by the main cast, which starts to annoy after a while.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 12:26:23 PM »
I think Battlestar will be better then Serenity for the sole reason that the show lasted longer thus more material to work with, however how good it will be will really depend on how well the GM is allowed to go outside the realm of the show.  I have to give it to Wise for trying to get RPG books out while the show/series is popular but I wonder if the properties she chooses are popular mostly because of how narrowly focused they are which hurts the RPG.  Could you imagine a Heroes or Lost RPG?  Both those are along the lines of Firefly and Galatica but a little more to the extreme of the point.

The only licensed property that I think worked was Star Wars (even if the 20 game fell flat twice) not just because the war covered just a large area (several galaxies) but because there was so much development of the setting outside of the movie/main characters which is key.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.