Author Topic: review: Sunshine  (Read 1410 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
review: Sunshine
« on: December 26, 2006, 04:07:05 AM »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: review: Sunshine
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 12:36:23 AM »
Sunshine on my shoulde makes e HAAAAAAPPY!

But this book didn't.

It had way too much sexual content and so much gore that it just became meaningless.  How many times do we really need to see her blowing up vampires by sticking her hand in their chests to get the point?  I may also be biased against the content because it was originally catalogued as a young adult book in my library, which it most certainly was not.

This book had other flaws, though.  McKinley kept hinting at things in the backgrounds of various characters but then she never explained them.  I felt like this happened far too many times in a stand-alone novel. After I finished reading it, I felt she had only told me part of the story and had been too lazy to go back and clean up the loose ends she had put in.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 12:10:31 AM »
Hrm. Sigyn's issues with the book are valid ones. Looking back I do these those as flaws. I suppose I didn't mention those because I was so enchanted with the tone, lore, and story that those problems, to me, were secondary. It's true that it has enough information about secondary characters to really need a sequel, but I doubt there will be one.

And yes there were two sexual episodes, but they were small compared to other vampire books out there. However, compared to other YA novels, they were too much. But it most definitely is not a YA book. I can't see how anyone would catalogue it as such.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

amyface

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • coolbeans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 12:19:42 AM »
I just finished reading Sunshine because I read the review...

I liked it OK. I'm not a fan of first person writing though, they seem childish to me.

I don't think the sexual episodes were anything to be disgusted about. I read Laurell K. Hamilton's "Anita the Vampire Hunter" or whatever they were called (which read and felt a lot like this book to me) and that was WAY worse. In almost every graphic aspect.  Those books talked about a babies severed hand and went through a detailed section of her having sex with a vampire, orgasm and all... When I read the comment about the... well here it is...

It had way too much sexual content and so much gore that it just became meaningless. How many times do we really need to see her blowing up vampires by sticking her hand in their chests to get the point?

I figured it would get WAY worse. I think she did a good job of telling us what happened without giving people nightmares or a loss of appitite. I personally wouldn't put it in the YA section of my library where I work, but I didn't think it needed warning labels or anything.

I thought it was fun and easy to read. I kept me entertained during my down time before school starts again...
Dude, no no really, DUDE!