Author Topic: Hogfather  (Read 3081 times)

MisterM

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Hogfather
« on: December 23, 2006, 04:20:57 PM »
So I managed to find a bittorrent of the BBC's Hogfather miniseries. It's a good adaptation, though I wouldn't say excellent just because much of the humor didn't seem to make the transition from page to screen (probably due to time and style. You can't exactly put footnotes on-screen). I'm actually surprised at how well the scenery and such are put together, and some of the characters (Susan, Alfred, Ponder Stibbons) are spot-on. Others aren't quite how I imagined them (Death's voice could have been deeper, and Teatime talks like Willy Wonka), but overall I'm enjoying it.

Sadly, so far I've only been able to see part 1. Mrs. M seems to like it well enough so far, and we'll be watching part 2 later today.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Hogfather
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 12:40:28 AM »
I watched this on TV. Susan was wooden, but death was awesome. The guy playing teatime seems to have been trying to channel Jonny Depps Willy Wonka. The most disappointing would be Nobby Nobbs - the guy playing him does him perfectly, but his uniform is spotless and he is pretty clean himself, so the overall effect isn't what it should be. Me and the people I was watching it with felt that the wizards were a little... off. Somehow.  Problem of watching it with 3 people in the room being huge discworld fans: we kept nitpicking it :P

In general though, it was pretty good and well worth a watch. Should be, cost the BBC 6 million so I hear.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 12:06:37 AM »
We got to see Terry Pratchett in Seattle a couple of months ago, and he talked a lot about the movie.  Speaking of the guy who played Nobby, he said, "He was not born Nobby, but he has achieved Nobbyness." 

He also said that, if you ever write a book that gets turned into a movie, you should be sure to steal as many props as you can.  Remember that.

I hope it's out on DVD (and available to us on the other side of the pond) soon!
~금강산도 식후경~

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 01:30:19 PM »
Got to love the BBC, without them things like this would never get made even if they're not perfect.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 02:02:56 AM »
I know I'm reviving a dead thread, but I saw this while I was recovering from surgery and then I got it for my birthday, and it just makes me so incredibly happy.  I loved the entire thing, but I think I liked the wizards best. Tee hee, this makes me giggle.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 02:12:08 AM »
I just saw it a little while ago and mostly liked it.  The wizards were the best part.  I think the main reason I didn't like it a lot is that Hogfather is one of my least favorite Pratchett books.  I hope the verson of Color of Magic they did recently comes out on USA available DVD soon.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 03:43:40 PM »
I liked the book Hogfather much better than the book Color of Magic. Do you know if the tv movie is being done by the same people who did Hogfather?
If I had any clue, would I be here?

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 06:31:22 PM »
I think it is.  I also know that Sean Austin is Twoflower which irritated some people at the Terry Pratchett Newsgroup I read sometimes.  I don't think Color of Magic is one of his better ones either, but I liked it better than Hogfather, so I would like to see it.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 10:08:30 PM »
I thought the first two Discworld books weren't anywhere near as good as every book that followed them, and if I'd started reading with the first book rather than the third, I would've needed a lot of convincing before continuing.

Maybe a movie would be an improvement. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 02:21:10 AM »
We always start people off on Jingo or Guards! Guards!