Author Topic: Graphic Novels for kids  (Read 5477 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Graphic Novels for kids
« on: December 11, 2006, 04:54:26 PM »
So, here's my problem.  My 7 year old can read.  He just doesn't like to yet.  My collection of reading materials has a big gap in it I am now discovering.  That gap is the one between text only books and collections of comic strips.

I need suggestions for graphic novels that my 7 year old might enjoy (He loves and understands Lord of the Rings, just can't make it past the all text pages quite yet.)  and that won't offend his, or my, sensibilities.  As a marker, I think Frank Miller's "Batman the Dark Knight Returns" is just a tad on the dark side for his age.

After a shallow search it looks like "Bone" might be a good one, but I'm not sure.  Suggestions?

(Saint, I'm looking at you.)
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
Re: Graphic Novels for kids
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 05:13:44 PM »
I think Bone would be good. As far as other recommendations, unfortunately, I know more for girls than for boys (I sought them out because there are fewer). If you don't mind Japanese Manga, Oldie would have recommendations. She has 3 boys and they all read Manga. I think Kingdom Hearts is one they read.

I can't provide recommendations myself, but here's a website that might help. Sidekicks is a website for teachers and parents that reviews graphic novels for kids. It usually gives a synopsis about the plot and tells if there is anything that might be questionable, so you can make the choice. It's a partner to No Flying, No Tights which reviews graphic novels for teens, which I'm more familiar with, and is a very good site.

Edit: I just thought of some webcomics that I follow that would work. They've just recently been released in print format. You can check them out online first and see if you want to buy them for your son. They are The Dreamland Chronicles, Inverloch, and Earthsong. And you might find this livejournal discussion at nickmag_comics interesting.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 05:25:41 PM by Merry Chimeras »
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:34:58 PM »
My first thought is any Peanuts or Calvin and Hobbes collections. My kids pour over these constantly. They're good for short attention spans, since you can stop after any strip.

If you're looking for high school level reading, let me know, and I'll revise this list.

Monthlies I'd look at:
I haven't read them, but I've seen some pages of the art, but the original Dragonlance series is currently being adapted to comics. If he likes LotR, he might like that too.

Impulse is basically "Kid Flash." He's supposed to be 14, but he's short of attention and hyperactive, which results in amusing circumstances since he has superspeed. He's a character I think a young person can really enjoy reading. Most of the other "teen" titles by DC and Marvel (or Image or Darkhorse) are not ones I'd recommend for younger persons, since the themes of most of the arcs for Superboy, Robin, and Supergirl are all decidedly adult most of the time.

There was a new title out by an independent press that I really enjoyed. But I can't remember what it was. I'll have a looksee for it next time I'm at the shop (soon). It was about a child whose parents divorced and then moved with her mother to a small town. It looks at her adventures there with her new friends (one of which may, or may not, be a superhero).

DC does a line of comics based on Cartoon Network properties: Krypto (Superman's dog), Scooby-Doo, et al. These are amusing but not fantastic books. They are, perhaps, too simplistic, but if you have a child who is really stubborn about reading, it may be what you need.
In addition, the "adventures" series are targeted toward a younger audience and feature all the standard DC universe characters (batman, wonder woman, superman, et al).

Graphic Novels:
Leave it to Chance is about Chance Falconer, the 10-12 yo daughter of Lucas Falconer, the mystic protector of Devil's Echo from the likes of the ghosts, zombies, vampires, werewolves, and the like. Also, she has a pet dragon.
While the "Devil's Echo" makes it seem a bit creepy, and it is about horror movie stuff, I seriously haven't found anything that children would object too. And it's not pushing any agendas. The Falconers are more or less the unquestioned good guys. THere's no reason to think they're anything but good guys, and the closest they've come to breaching any religious issues is including a Native American medicine man in one story. They try very hard to make it child friendly.  I recommend it because it's about a kid, but it doesn't talk down to them while maintaining a simplicity that kids can keep track of. Of course, I have daughters, so the idea of a girl protagonist doesn't worry me, not sure if your son thinks girls have cooties or not though. This is actually one of my personal favorites

There are also some collection of the old Superboy comics. These featured Superman as a child in Smallville (when they were written, it was assumed he always had his superpowers). The scripts were simple and another child protagonist helps kids get into it.

Usagi Yojimbo isn't one I'd normally recommend for children, since it's so... literate. But it's fantasy/historical fiction set in Medieval Japan -- with anthropomorphic animals for characters. Usagi himself is a samurai ronin. He frequently is accomanied by a rhino bounty hunter. He does a lot of work for Lord Noriyuki who is a panda. Child characters show up, but the story isn't intended for children. I bring it up because you say he likes/can follow LotR.

Superman for All Seasons is essentially an overview of Superman's life, it looks a little at him growing up, a little as his freshman year in Metropolis, and the development of his relationship with the people in Smallville and Metropolis and his arch-nemesis. Less action than a typical Superman intro story, but a good look at him as a character.

I'm sure I'll think of some more soon. With all of them, of course you'll want to at least look through them before handing them to the kids.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 05:56:22 PM »
If you're looking for high school level reading, let me know, and I'll revise this list.
Not sure yet.  I'd definitely like to see your revised list too though.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  Give me more! 

Oldie?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 06:10:27 PM »
well, there was this article I wrote a bit back. I'd definitely say on that list that "Kabuki" is for mature audiences, and is certainly not for kids. And Maus might not be what you want your kid reading at age 7 (all that Holocaust stuff can be a downer) -- plus, knowing your political sensibilities, you might not like Spiegelman at all, since he is definitely a liberal, though it being a biography, it doesn't come out that much in this particular book.

Maybe it's time for me to do another set of recommended reading.

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 06:39:03 PM »
Hmm, good recommendations, SE. I may check them out myself.

More recommendations from me: It might be too old for him, but I love Kazu Kibuishi's Daisy Kutter. It has some western violence--no blood, I think, just robots. Kazu also has a great webcomic called Copper--but unfortunately it is only on the web, as far as I know--except for an occasional appearance in the Flight volumes, which Kazu compiles. What I'm really excited about is his Amulet that is being released by Scholastic in Spring 2007.

The Flight volumes have lots of good comics. Unfortunately, they are kind of a mix of "adult" and "appropriate for children" themes, so it's a mixed bag. If your child would read only part of a book, it might work. Or you could read through it first and decide if the whole thing is appropriate.

I'll keep thinking.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 07:12:54 PM »
Marvel is also doing a line of fariy tales with marvel characters, I know there's an X-man one out now and an Avengers one coming out soon (it's peter pan with Cap and Pan, looks like Wanda as Wendy and Wasp as tinkerbell).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 07:38:49 PM »
Graphic novels is the one area in children's literature in which I wish I knew more. Most of the imprints being started at mainstream publishers to do graphic novels are aimed at teens, so I wouldn't recommend them for a 7 year old. All the graphic novels I've read from mainstream publishers are from these imprints (Persepolis, etc.). There are conversations on review sites and children's lit listservs all the time about graphic novels. I'll try to keep my eye out to see if anything's being discussed.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 07:57:15 PM »
I want to heartily second the Bone suggestion--it's an epic fantasy presented in a black and white comic panel format, with cute little protagonists and a great sense of humor. I'm in the process of trying to convince myself not to buy the full compilation at Borders, but since Borders just sent me a 40% off coupon my resolve is weakening rapidly.

If you want to give Manga a shot, I bet Ookla or Oldie could suggest all kinds of awesome titles.

Also, my friend Lovebasket has found over years of junior high teaching that the single best series to get kids excited about reading is Captain Underpants. It's goofy and stupid, and he hated it initially, but he says that it hits a certain age group and ability level really well, and gets them excited. It's designed for 7th graders with below average reading skills, so a 7  year old with good reading skills might get into it (or might still be too young; I couldn't say). It's worth checking out.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 08:36:25 PM »
Most kids into Captain Underpants are decidedly younger than 7th grade. I was under the impression it was aimed at the same ages as Magic Treehouse. That's where it's shelved in the bookstore--beginning readers.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 10:34:00 PM »
Like I said--we're talking about kids with really poor reading skills. I've never seen the books myself. I just figured that Skar's son, who reads well at 7, would do well with a book that really interests kids who don't read well at 12.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 12:11:38 AM »
SE, there's that Marvel Team-Up book with Power Pack. I think that's what it is. There's Captain America with Power Pack and hmm... I think this is what Spriggan is talking about.

There's also Mary Jane <3's Spider-man, but I'm not sure on where that is thematically and the reading level on it. Oh, and there's a TPB out that collects the Degrassi comics. I don't know if anyone's ever watched or read these. I've heard it's... interesting.

And Fell, I just bought the one volume Bone collection yesterday. I hope it gets here very soon.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Chimera

• Level 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 01:08:12 AM »
Early readers are books that are are geared toward those kids who are transitioning from being read to to reading on their own. Some early readers that might interest your son include:

The Pirate Pete and Pirate Jo series by Ann Edwards Cannon. These are a lot of fun, and Ann is such a great person, so supporting her is good.

The Henry and Mudge books by Cynthia Rylant. There are a lot of them, about a boy and his dog.

Sleeping Ugly by Jane Yolen. This is one of my absolute favorite books ever, and it is such a good early reader. It's funny enough that I don't think it should be limited to girls.

An older series is the Time Warp Trio by Jon Sczieska and Lane Smith. Not too many pictures, but they are so easy to read that I think it would be encouraging to a child. And they are funny and interesting too (like everything else Sczieska and Smith do).

You might look into some of the more experimental picture books. If your son isn't entirely opposed to that format, there are some cool ones for slightly older audiences. Some I can think of that he might enjoy include:

Bobby Stellar, Space Kid by Paul Linsley. I love this book. Granted, I know Paul, but I'm not promoting it because of that. It is an awesome book and has just the right language for a beginning reader, with really engaging art and a subject that appeals to young boys.

The True Story of the Three Little Pigs and The Stinky Cheese Man by Jon Sczieska and Lane Smith. A fun take on a traditional tale.

The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean. An interesting picture book with a graphic novel feel. A little creepy. You might want to check this out first. It's awesome--but might be too intense for your 7-year-old. You'll have to decide.

That's all for now. Let me know if you think he'd read picture books, if they were age appropriate (not for 3 and under, I mean).

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 02:22:24 AM »
My 7-year-old is the same way. It must be a phaze.

I'd definately recommend the Kingdom Hearts manga. The first four (which covers the first game) are in left-to-right format and my 7-year-old loves them. The second series, Chain of Memories, is in traditional manga style (right-to-left). The great thing about Kingdom Hearts is that the story is harmless and the characters are Disney.

I'd also recommend Naruto (which has a huge following) if you think your son can handle a little more intense stories.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 05:26:21 AM »
SE, there's that Marvel Team-Up book with Power Pack. I think that's what it is. There's Captain America with Power Pack and hmm... I think this is what Spriggan is talking about.

Nope, this is what I'm talking about

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/9740.html
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.