Author Topic: Irene Gallo Discusses Mistborn Art *New MB paperback artwork*  (Read 22526 times)

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
Re: Irene Gallo Discusses Mistborn Art *New MB paperback artwork*
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2006, 12:57:44 AM »
The Reaper, the Crows, and the Ugly-Vin Face appear in the deleted scenes that have yet to be posted.  I wish Foster had put in Spider-Man.  He's in the deleted scenes too and would add some needed color to this cover.

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2006, 05:33:28 PM »
I'll wait for the Oompa Loompa edition or the one were Vin has an Alfred E. Newman head.

Crows?  Ravens are a hip thing right now.  Very popular.  Every cover should have one or two on it.  Is the artist trying to link this to Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel?

Grim Reaper?  Has to go.   (Can you make a glass or obsidian blade that long that would be stable?  Must be a metal blade by my reckoning.  So it should have one of those wavy blue lines connected to it.)

Style?  I like the style.  But it doesn't have the gritty, ash covered or dark mist nighttime feel that I would expect.

Maybe they'll change the title too  -   Missborn.   And change the author's name -  . . . I better stop now.  I have a theory that it's not wise to make fun of Evil Undead Overlords.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2006, 06:16:05 PM »
well, his real initials *are* BS

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2006, 09:56:18 PM »
Hauf, thanks for making me laugh for three minutes, aloud, in my cubicle. heeheh.  whew.

The Reaper, the Crows, and the Ugly-Vin Face appear in the deleted scenes that have yet to be posted.  I wish Foster had put in Spider-Man.  He's in the deleted scenes too and would add some needed color to this cover.

hahaha. I read that first part and thought, "ack! Say it ain't so! Can the 'deleted scenes' be that abominable?" But the Spider-man comment suggests you're merely being satirically mirthful in lieu of actually saying "This cover blows! May it never see the hallogen light of any bookstore, ever, so help me Kellsier."
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 02:09:31 AM by Let It Shrain »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2006, 11:20:14 PM »
Personally I'd like it better if Vin were being attacked by an anaconda.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2006, 01:15:01 AM »
Funny, Fish.  But it's a cavaconda--not an anaconda.  ;-)  Missed you at writing group.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2006, 02:06:34 PM »
on a similar but unrelated note, I recently had the privelege of alphabetizing the film "Boa versus Python." Apparently the US army has to release a giant boa constrictor in order to stop the giant python on the loose.

The same creators have recently released Komodo versus Cobra.

My job is *awesome*

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2006, 04:35:38 AM »
Funny, Fish.  But it's a cavaconda--not an anaconda.  ;-)  Missed you at writing group.

Working on the review of Buttersby, FYI.  Haven't forgotten.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

MPlease

• Level 4
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2006, 11:26:09 PM »
I'm afraid that I have to agree that the pb cover is not up to par with the hb.  Mostly for the same reasons that everyone else has mentioned. My other two beefs were that 1) the grim reaper not only doesn't belong there, but it also completely out of proportion to the street he's standing on. Compare his height to the doorway, for example. 2) Vin isn't wearing the mistcloak. There are streamers attached to her waist, and that's it!  Not to mention the fact that she's wearing a skirt and pants together. Terribly unfortunate fashion statement, I must say.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Swiggly

• Level 4
  • Here's for trying, rhymes with dying
    • View Profile
    • Gaia Online Account
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006, 09:16:51 AM »
Is death back there supposed to be a steel inquisitor. I think they should just use the same one, considering that one was awesome. Does anyone know when the paperback is coming out? I'd hoped to get it for some of my friends for christmas, perhaps Elantris will do.
I want to be a publisher at Tor Fantasy when I grow up.

YAY

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2006, 10:36:17 PM »
Don't think the PB is planned to be out until Spring, probably about 2-3 months before MB2 comes out, so April-May timeframe.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

DavidB

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2006, 01:09:07 AM »

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2006, 02:32:32 AM »
* Let It Shrain giggles. A lot.

That cover art was *begging* for such treatment. A pity that Tor probably won't pull the artwork no matter what we think.  :P
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

amyface

• Level 3
  • coolbeans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2006, 03:10:24 AM »
on a more serious note...

After reading the book I would prefer the cover to be something like the spine thingies. Since this book is "the final empire" I figured the cover would be something like that. I never cared about the original cover but I picked up and read Elantris because the cover was pretty and I needed a new book/author to read. I wouldn't have picked up either of these books based on the cover. I work in a library and when we do displays the books with good covers go first regardless of the inside most of the time.

so I say they need to keep trying!
Dude, no no really, DUDE!

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2006, 03:31:23 AM »
OWNED image...

That...that was the most awesome thing I've ever seen on this forum.  That...I fell out of my chair and had to recap the entire thread so my wife would get it.

Someone rocks.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch