Author Topic: Call for Articles: Give us your love  (Read 142358 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Call for Articles: Give us your love
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2006, 02:34:07 PM »
you are appointed content poster for friday the 18th through Friday the 25th, inclusive.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2006, 12:36:19 AM »
I suck and should be shot.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2006, 09:32:21 AM »
well, it's not like I've remembered to actually post articles friday or today. In my defense, I've felt nauseous most of this time

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2006, 09:35:24 AM »
He's probably been put off by my article. It's full of crap and other disease filled excrement. ;P
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2006, 09:48:48 AM »
Your article is ont he schedule. Stop your whining.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2006, 09:53:17 AM »
I'm not whining. In fact I'd be completely surprised if it even got past your eyes and onto the front page. That review was a heaping pile of elephant dung.
                William S. Burroughs

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2006, 12:29:11 PM »
I wouldn't say heaping, because it was actually quite short.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2006, 12:33:24 PM »
Ok ok. It's a heaping pile of rabbit turds. =P
                William S. Burroughs

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2006, 02:39:41 PM »
I posted this on a different thread, but I don't know if it will get quicker attention here.

The front page is incorrect in saying that MsFish wrote the Kiki Strike book review. I actually wrote it. So if someone doesn't mind changing that minor detail I would appreciate it.  ;D
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2006, 01:32:01 AM »
Can we please put a notification of the passing of David Gemmell on the front page?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2006, 02:24:09 AM »
you are appointed content poster for Friday the 18th through Friday the 25th, inclusive.

Roger, Roger.

Now since there's some TWG monies going into Worldcon I expect articles from people, Fish I'm looking at you for at least one and I can get Fell to write one, even if it's a wrap up article.

If anyone is planning on, or might want to write one, let me know before you go if you're going to want it posted while you're gone.  I know most people will be busy and may not be able to keep a scheduled time to write so I just want to know if I should plan on waiting for a certain time to see if there's an article for me to post from Worldcon.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2006, 09:19:19 AM »
I guess we should establish a policy on obituaries on the front page.

personally, I'm against them. I think there are very few that will be recognized as significant enough by a majority of our readership. And I think most of those will be RPG/tabletop designers. which would be .... like four. Two of which are highly debateable. Maybe one or two movie makers.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2006, 11:18:44 AM »
About all I can say about our readership is that I suspect most of them play games of one sort or another and that most of them read books of one sort or another.

If you have a source of information that tells you more, allowing you to draw conclusions like

"I think there are very few that will be recognized as significant enough by a majority of our readership. And I think most of those will be RPG/tabletop designers. which would be .... like four. Two of which are highly debateable. Maybe one or two movie makers."

I would like access to it as well, please.

In this case, David Gemmell was huge in the world of fantasy novels.  His work seems to fit our readership as well as anything and even if our readership never heard of him, I think alot of them would enjoy his work if they looked him up because we posted his obit.  And, in the end, isn't that the point of the site?  To guide our readership to things they would enjoy reading/doing/playing?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2006, 11:47:15 AM »
thanks for the contention. and the straw man. but we really didn't need either.

I never claimed any special knowledge.

However, I was making inferences based on the observed tastes of our readership, both in the forum and in terms of the content we get.

I'm not denegrating Gemmel's work. But frankly, I'm a fairly intelligent and educated man -- I've never read him and I dont' think he's influenced much of the culture represented by the people we have here. Not like George Lucas or even Kevin Siembieda has (like him or not, he's pretty omnipresent).

So, no, I don't think a front page blurb is appropriate. A forum thread, certainly, but not the front page.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2006, 12:36:04 PM »
Why does an obit we post on our front page need to be only about people you/I/anybody think our readers will think is significant or who have already had a "significant influence" on them?  As I said before
In this case, David Gemmell was huge in the world of fantasy novels.  His work seems to fit our readership as well as anything and even if our readership never heard of him, I think alot of them would enjoy his work if they looked him up because we posted his obit.  And, in the end, isn't that the point of the site?  To guide our readership to things they would enjoy reading/doing/playing?

It certainly doesn't need to be "the article for the day" It doesn't even need to front an article, although it could link to the one EUOL linked to.  All it would need to do is take the opportunity of a significant event concerning the man, (his death is pretty significant) to alert our readership to a potential source of time-wasting enjoyment, ie his novels.

Were I a mere reader I would definitely be appreciative of a site like this alerting me to a body of work I might enjoy.

Further, I think that people who like this site might also like Gemmell's work.  And in thinking so I am "making inferences based on the observed tastes of our readership, both in the forum and in terms of the content we get."  and I am also "a fairly intelligent and educated man" and I have read his work.

I'm not trying to be contentious (and I don't understand what you saw as a straw man in my previous post) I just think it fulfills the mission of the site to post such news on the front page for the reasons I stated above.

I grant that you may have good  reasons for not wanting to do it but I think your presently stated reasons for not wanting to do it are invalid or inapplicable for the reasons I stated above.  

*Skar does his best to insure that no flames of any sort are contained in his post...

-Fellfrosch