Author Topic: The Hobbit, sans Jackson  (Read 2872 times)

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
The Hobbit, sans Jackson
« on: November 21, 2006, 05:23:18 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061121/media_nm/leisure_jackson_dc_4

"In Jackson's letter, which was posted on the Web site late on Sunday, the director said last week a top executive with Los Angeles-based New Line Cinema called him to say the studio was moving ahead on "The Hobbit" movie without Jackson."

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: The Hobbit, sans Jackson
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 07:12:12 PM »
Eh, considering my disdain for the Hobbit as a book, any excuse not to see the movie is probably a good thing.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 05:48:33 PM »
So now I just read that Zaentz, the head guy behind the Tolkien side of things, is saying New Line's rights to the Hobbit are up in a year, and that as soon as they are, he'll go straight to PJ and ink a deal that doesn't involve studios.  It seems to me this is all still very much in flux, and I'll be very surprised if PJ doesn't end up directing.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 11:13:19 AM »
One interview I read with Jackson says that he never hears about this sort of thing first hand - he keeps reading about how he is apparently going to work with xyz on abc on the internet. He also said his schedule was full for the next half-decade. Basically, I wouldn't hold your breath.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 05:32:42 PM »
I read that interview, as well.  But the bit about New Line telling Jackson he was off the project--what started this post--came from Jackson himself.  In that letter, he openly talks about how he would have liked to been in on the project.  I personally think it's all positioning by Jackson and New Line.  We'll have to wait and see what happens.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 06:43:08 PM »
My understanding of this situation is that it has to do with him suing the company for money he thinks he is owed from the LOTR series.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 07:00:08 PM »
Ya it has to come from the Lawsuits, New Line has said Jackson refuses to discuss the possibilities of a Hobbit movie with them until the Lawsuit is settled (ie Jackson gets what he wants, because if he were to loose he wouldn't work with New Line again).

There's a rumor going around about Sam Rami doing the directing, one that would make me happy since that would mean Bruce Cambell  as a Hobbit somewhere in the movie.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 07:19:16 PM »
Gotta love anything with Bruce Campbell in it ;D

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 08:13:14 PM »
I have a feeling that Bruce wouldn't play a hobbit. *Possibly* an elf or dwarf. Most likely a human. But I don't see him as a hobbit.
</useless speculation>