Author Topic: Technology  (Read 11459 times)

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
Re: Technology
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2005, 01:43:09 AM »
I like the idea of a time-to-risk ratio.  Perhaps the longer you spend developing something, the less risk there is of a problem, or the more you spend on it would work too, either more funding or more time.

And I didn't mean to make it 30% chance.  I was just throwing out numbers to get the system across.  I think if you do it the quickest and cheapest you can a 15% chance and if you do the carefullest way possible a 5% chance?  Also, you could get upgrades that reduce the damage level, such as agencies regulating safety procedures.  These could be on a seperate, streamlined tree, that instead of having lots of different paths just has a strait path for each dangerous technology.

MOD: Also, you should have to determine how many turns you give your scientists to develope the technologies (two turns min, maybe four max?), and there should be a safety cost if you shorten the deadline.  So if I said I was going to give my people 4 turns to develope nuclear power, it would reduce the chance of problems from 15 to 5.  Then the next turn I decide that I NEED that power ASAP, I could reduce the time to 2 turns, but I would not get the safety bonus for turn 3 or 4 and I would have a penalty of 5 or so.

Finally, I think the longer you have a technology, the smaller the risk should be. Maybe reduce the risk by .5% every turn you have the technology without problems, and don't reduce the risk on turns you do.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 01:48:15 AM by GorgontheWonderCow »
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2005, 04:40:47 AM »
I don't think we want to get into subpercentile modifiers.  But I get the idea.

I think automatic issues like that would overwhelm people with things to remember.  It's one thing to have a list you can refer to, but it's another to have to remember to change a minor stat every turn.

I think, however, that a time vs. risk thing would work well.  However, I think that it should always be possible, with enough time [or resources, or what have you] (and never so much as to make it inconceivably worthwhile), to eliminate normal problems entirely.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Mr_Pleasington

• Staff
  • Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2005, 12:47:00 PM »
Here's what we're going to do with this.   Developing techs may have drawbacks, but usually to morale or some such...not something as destructive as a meltdown.

How we will capture this aspect is through random events that can happen each turn.  For example:

Nuclear Meltdown:  Lose one Population and roll as 50% chance of decreasing Capacity by one.  Ignore this effect and reroll Random Event if you don't have Nuclear technology.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2005, 02:16:55 PM »
You said hyperspace is already researched.  How is that going to work, I didn't see it on any of the other threads.  Can any planet attack any other planet or will there be a Cowboy-Bebopish warp-gate system which makes it so only certain planets can attack eachother?  Just curious if there will be strategic value to the location of planets.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Mr_Pleasington

• Staff
  • Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2005, 05:50:09 PM »
Every civ starts with Level 1 FTL technology, allowing them to jump between different systems.

Systems will be connected by jumproutes.  Each system will probably be connected to 2-3 others.

Each jumproute will have a rating: Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3.  

The number of turns it takes to jump between systems depends on both your level of FTL Tech and the Class of the Jumproute.

FTL Level 1: Jumping takes a number of turns equal to the Class of the route.

FTL Level 2: Jumping takes a number of turns equal to the Class of the route minus 1.  Minimum 1.

FTL Level 3: Jumping takes a number of turns equal to the Class of the Route minus 2. Minimum 1.

Legion

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2005, 11:48:06 AM »
I talked about some techs in the planet and system part, I just want to expand on them here.

Underwater expansion

1.      Water Proof Shield
A)      Shield Level 1 -  Allows a city to be built between 1 and 500 feet under sea level
B)      Shield Level 2 -  Allows a city to be built between 501 and 1000 feet under seal level
C)      Shield Level 3 - Allows a city to be built between 1001 and 5000 feet under seal level
D)      Shield Level 4 -  Allows a city to be built anywhere under seal level

2.      Water Transportation
A)      Boats - Allows for slow movement on to surface of the water also able to gather surface level fish
B)      Submarines - Allows for slow movement on the surface and under the surface
C)      Improved Submarines - Allows for quicker movement and the ability to gather deep water fish
D)      Underwater Roadway - Allows for fast movement through the water (road type technology)

3.      Breathing Improvement (Required Water Proof Shield level 1)
A)      Water to polluted Air - Converts water to a type of polluted air, still breathable, but lowers the morale of the people breathing it by 10%
B)      Water to breathable Air - Converts water to air that is not as polluted, and will only cause morale to drop 5%
C)      Water to Air - Converts water to normal breathable air.  This will not decrease morale in any way
D)      Water to Clean Air - Now air is even cleaner then the surface air which increase morale by 2%

4.      Underwater Mining (requires Water Proof Shield level 3)
A)      Mineral Gathering - allows an under water city to gather materials from the ocean floor.  Materials are of the lowest quality
B)      Refining Mined Materials - Increases the value of the materials gathered from underwater mining facilities
C)      Improved Mining - Increases that amount mined by an underwater mining facility
5.      Underwater Gathering (required Water Proof Shield level 1, and Boats)
A)      Surface level fishing - Allows the gathering of small fish at the sea level
B)      Improved Fishing - Improves the fish that are gathered at sea level
C)      Underwater fishing -  Allows deep water fish to be gathered (required Improved Submarine)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 11:50:07 AM by Legion »
Without death there is no life

Mr_Pleasington

• Staff
  • Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 12:38:53 PM »
Those are some good ideas, Legion, but you're zooming in way too far.  This is how detailed a sample planet would look:

Pop: 6
Production: 4
Lode: 5
Capacity: 6
Morale: 8 (8) 100%

Assets:  
Industrial Complex: Level 2
Religious Sanctuary: Level 2
Supply Depot: Level 1
Orbital Shipyards

So, in the example of you tech ideas, it could be summed up in one asset, like this:

Underwater Habitation:  (Level 1 to Level 2) Capacity increases by 1 for each level.

Note, that this should be cheaper than Terraforming and could be attained earlier in the game.

Legion

• Level 9
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 01:04:30 PM »
ok then going off of that you can have the underwater tech just add to the basic states (increaseing the max)...If a planet had the capacity of 6 then this would increase that to by 1 for each lvl...and the mining would increase the production by 1 for each lvl.  However if you do the mining then you cannot do the fishing.....  Now guess what fishing does....good guess it would increase the food by 1 for each lvl.  As for the transportation, you cuold have that increase morale by 1% for each lvl

Mr_Pleasington

• Staff
  • Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2005, 01:26:23 PM »
Actually, Legion, Production should only be raised by Industrial Complex...otherwise you have overly redundant assets.  When you buy a level of Ind. Complex you can imagine putting it underwater, but there will really be no benefit.

Just trying to keep us all on the same page here.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2005, 04:28:01 PM »
You need to give us more information across the board, Mr P. You ask us for ideas, then turn around and say you've already devised a system for it. Let everyone else know what you've done as well :)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Legion

• Level 9
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 05:02:55 PM »
Those are some good ideas, Legion, but you're zooming in way too far.  This is how detailed a sample planet would look:

Pop: 6
Production: 4
Lode: 5
Capacity: 6
Morale: 8 (8) 100%

Assets:  
Industrial Complex: Level 2
Religious Sanctuary: Level 2
Supply Depot: Level 1
Orbital Shipyards

So, in the example of you tech ideas, it could be summed up in one asset, like this:

Underwater Habitation:  (Level 1 to Level 2) Capacity increases by 1 for each level.

Note, that this should be cheaper than Terraforming and could be attained earlier in the game.

I found this to give me a huge insight on how the planet system would be setup.  More examples I think would be great

Mr_Pleasington

• Staff
  • Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 11:35:36 PM »
I know, Entropy.

I might have come in to ask for ideas a bit too early since while I have a good idea of what I want to do and some basic system design, I didn't think it was in a workable form to share. Hence, we're all on different pages.

I'll see if I can clarify stuff here soon.