Author Topic: Technology  (Read 11460 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Staff
  • Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Technology
« on: August 09, 2005, 06:35:08 PM »
I'm not sure how I'm doing research yet.  I was thinking that each system would generate a certain amount of tech.  When you want to you can roll d100 to try to gain new technology.  If you roll under the amount of Tech you have accumulated then you get to pick a new tech.  Whether you  succeed or fail you lose all accumulated Tech (that's a bit harsh)

Military
To be designed once we have a combat system

Science
Terraforming
A.I. - allows for Robotics Facility
Total Autonomation
Organic Industry
Virtualily Matrix - Increases research in systems with HR Station
Gene Splicing
Superconductor
Bioengineering

Social
Cloning Tech - allows for cloning facility
Neural Grafting - Current Morale can never be lower than 3
Propoganda - Less Morale Loss from losing battles
Instestellar Communication - can build HR Station
Applied Theology - MAy build religious sanctuary.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Technology
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 02:10:03 PM »
Making it a roll just randomizes it, which reduces strategic element.  For a more "fair" game, it would be better just to make techs cost 50.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Mr_Pleasington

• Staff
  • Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 02:14:21 PM »
I want there to be some risk in research.  Not much, but enough that if you really want to rush research you can, but with the chance of failing.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 02:35:45 PM »
Think about the law of averages, though:
If you research every time you have a single point, you'll be successful one in every 100 attempts, with a cost of 1.

So every success will, on average, cost you 100 points.

If you research every 50 points, you'll be successful ½ of the time, with a cost of 50, again averaging out to a success per 100 points.

If you research every 100 points, you'll be successful 100% of the time, with a cost of 100, also averaging out to 1 success per 100 points.

The only difference is that this makes it so that those who are lucky do well, and those who are unlucky do poorly.  The only potentially strategic thing about this is you can choose how much to allow luck to influence your research (do you gamble every point away, and let luck do its thing, or do you wait 'til you have 100 points every time so there is no luck involved?).  That said, there is a very, very small advantage to the person who gambles, this being that he'll get his technologies first, on average.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Mr_Pleasington

• Staff
  • Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 02:44:13 PM »
I see your point, and agree that the d100 is not the way to go with this.  It was just an initial suggestion and I'm open to other ways of doing it.

The way I see it, most empires will probably be churning out between 8 and 15 research points a turn once they get a few colonies under their belt.  That's what I was basing my previous assumptions on...

Legion

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 03:57:29 PM »
what about if each technology costs a certain amount of points.  Now to do the bear minimum you will only get like a 1% chance of getting the research, but the more points you through at it the higher the % you have to complete.  So if x points is need to have a 1% chance of doing it then 2X would give you 2% and 3X would give you 3%.  All you would need is the person running it have access to a random number generator that can utilize persent chances.
Without death there is no life

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 05:28:52 PM »
I'm bringing some strategy I learned from the Alpha Centauri unoffical strat guide in here.

The author said that one of the biggest things you could do was be fast. If you get that tech 5 turns earlier, it doesn't seem like much. Your playing a game with 1000 turns or so after all, right?

Wrong.

Take the example of former technology. One of the most important, yes, but a good example. That 5 turns is 5 turns earlier that you have formers in the field. That means you will have 5 whole turns extra of the bumper crop of minerals, roads, and such that those formers will give you. For this reason when you build a new colony in AC, and get the free 10 minerals, he said to spend it on a former (rather than a garrison, which was the default), because you will swiftly be able to get another 10 extra from it's efforts in the turns that would have normally been spent slowly building it.

This may not seem like much of a benefit, but add it up over the course of a game, and those few turns combined with other small advantages a good player can eke out of simply being first really add up to a major benefit. In this way a player can dominate his rivals.

That is why there is strategy inherent in getting tech faster, and that is why you should make ways to make that strategy balanced. A random roll makes it open to the vagaries of the dice, which is not strategy - it's just random.

My $166.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 05:31:46 PM »
Sorry if that seemed oppressive, by the way - I was just making sure you guys doing tech realised how important turn advantage actually is :)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 04:04:45 AM »
What we should do is make a tech tree, I believe.  Make lesser techs cost less with less risk, and you have to build your way up.  What is cool about this is you and your rival could take different routes in the technology trail, once you research a tech you can't research the other techs adjacent to it.

For example, if I made a tech tree as follows ("1's" would be the top of the tree, "2s" the next part, etc.):

1)Stem Cell Research
 2) Organic Industry
    3) Carbon Freezing
    3) Organic Re-engineering
 2) Bioengineering
    3) Cloning
    3) Artificial Lifeforms (requires "AI")

1)Global Connection and Internet Research
 2)Instant Communication
    3) Hive Mind (Requires "Organic Re-engineering")
    3) Instant Transportation (Requires "Nuclear Power")
 2)Virtual Reality
    3) Virtual Matrix (Requires "Nuclear Power")
    3) Sentient Programming (Requires "AI")

1)Robotics
 2) Organic Replacement
    3) Cyborg Technology (Requires "Organic Re-engineering")
    3) Super Mind (Requires "Sentient Programming")
 2) Artificial Intelligence
    3) A.I. Robots
    3) Brain Reconstruction [brain propoganda] (Requires "Bio-engineering")

1)Nuclear Science
 2) Nuclear Fission
     3) Nuclear Power
     3) Nuclear Bombs
 2) Nuclear Fusion
      3) Artificial Sun
      3) Hyper-Space (Requires "Carbon Freezing")

I just made that up off the top of my head, there are errors.  Now, I could research all of the origional techs, everything labelled "1."  But I could only choose one "2" and one "3" in each path, making the technology each civilization origionally gets distinct.  We give each technology a benefit and players choose with Social, Science, etc path they take.  Will you be a robot-harboring fascist state or a super-brain society of democrats?

Now, to get OTHER technologies you need to either trade technologies with another player, giving both of you the right to research the technology traded, or you can steal technologies using spies.  Either way, you still have to pay the origional cost in addition to trading or stealing technology secrets.

Finally, I think that there should be a risk in technology, but not in researching it directly, but having it.  For example, if you have robotic AI in your society, you need to pass a roll for every system, if you fail that roll, your robots are rebelling in a sector of your habitable planet.  If you researched nuclear power, pass a roll to make sure that there aren't meltdowns.  We can comeup with a tree like the one above pretty easily, with descripitions of benefits and risks.

I guess that wasn't finally.  I think that each technology should take a certain amount of time to research.  If you stole or traded for the technology ability, this time should be cut in half because you already know the secrets to success.  This put quick players at the disadvantage of the real world--the first people to develope something always take the longest to do so.

"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Mr_Pleasington

• Staff
  • Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2005, 12:26:10 PM »
what about if each technology costs a certain amount of points.  Now to do the bear minimum you will only get like a 1% chance of getting the research, but the more points you through at it the higher the % you have to complete.  So if x points is need to have a 1% chance of doing it then 2X would give you 2% and 3X would give you 3%.  All you would need is the person running it have access to a random number generator that can utilize persent chances.

That's what I was suggesting in the first post here.  I just didn't lay it out as thoroughly as you have here.  I like the idea, but I think d100 is too large.  We'll work on it.

Mr_Pleasington

• Staff
  • Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2005, 12:29:02 PM »
The tech tree is exactly what we need!  

I disagree with the danger of tech.  Buying tech should be an advantage though some of the ones I've listed, you may note, have a drawback...like building robotics facilities (its lowers morale because it puts people out of work)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 01:20:34 PM »
I don't like that some techs would preclude others, however.  It makes for more limited development of alien races.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2005, 02:01:32 PM »
I think that all tech should have dangers, but they shouldn't be large.  When I said you should roll to see if a system of yours has a nuclear meltdown, I didn't mean it should be likely.  Also, the benefits should clearly outweigh any non-benefit, and dangers should be temporary things, but they would put a little more depth to the game.

I kind of have a system in mind. Alright, say I own four systems, and I have nuclear power researched.  The risk of nuclear power would be plant malfunctions and meltdowns, to the benefit of a higher production and population limit.  I would roll four d-10s, and for every 8+ I get there is a meltdown.  I then roll a dice to determine the system hit by the meltdown.  Finally, I roll a d-100 for damage.  

Physical Damage and Morale Damage could be tied together, as a percentage thing, or could be rolled seperately.  I think they should be tied together.  So I go to that system and find the quadrant that has that system's nuclear power plant.  I roll a d-100 for damage.  There are different levels, the higher the number the more damage.  Damage effects morale, so morale in this quadrant would drop.

I think it is important that there be some downside to having upgraded technology, and I don't think it should be the risk of not getting the technology.  The technology should be a certain price, but once you get it there should be danger.  And there should be other technologies you can research to reduce the risk of having AI robots or an artificial sun or whatever later in that and other trees.  It puts risk in the research, like was wanted, but takes away a little bit of the severety and randomness, because you'll know what risks lie in a technology when you research it.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2005, 09:33:43 PM »
30% chance of a powerplant going bad enough to damage a significant chunk of the system, huh? We don't have that much risk NOW, and i can only imagine that safety protocols and mechanisms would improve. But say, maybe 10% chance per system with a nuclear power plant might be more playable.

Also, roll them one at a time, in alpha order, that way you don't roll again to see where it hits. Reduces rolls that way.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2005, 11:28:37 PM »
I think it should be possible to have "streamlined" alien races where these sorts of dangers could be gotten around, however.  Perhaps an additional tech, where you trade time for safety?  (Either way, however, the risk/cost would have to be enough make it worth it)