Alternate Realities > Endless Stars

Combat

<< < (2/8) > >>

Mr_Pleasington:
So in my free time I've been bouncing around ideas about the combat system, as it is the next great hurdle.  What keeps tripping me up is that I'm trying to find the compromise between just having Attack, Defense, etc. stats and something that allows techs to be a little more fun.

Y'know, a starship might have ionic shielding but a ship with a Frequency Harmonizing beam may be able to bypass that.

Finding the balance is really, really tricky.

Legion:
What about if you have in a military research, a race is able to research 3 different types of shield and types of weapons.  A ship can only have 1 kind of the 3, but each ship can pick when the tech is researched.

1)  Photon------> Strong against Ion ||| Weak against
                            Frequency
2)  Ion------------> Strong against Frequency |||
                            weak against Photon
3) Frequency ---> Strong against Photon || weak against Ion

JP Dogberry:
I think you're underplaying the importance Morale plays in a combat situation. Now, because of this, a ship should not have it's statistics based on how many weapons and shields it has, but rather the amount of Ale and Wenches on board.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers:
I think the rock/scissors/paper thing has been done, legion. I know I'm not participating a lot, but perhaps you could move it to 5 levels?
ion is weekest against photon, slightly better against antimatter, balanced against (or even better, negated by) ion, pretty decent against projectiles, and rips the tar out of frequency.

I'm just making up names and relationships out of my butt, but I think that communicates the idea. Yeah, it makes things a little longer to figure out, but 5 levels is still pretty easy to handle, and it becomes more than a rock/scissors/paper game.

My favorite scenario is that a form of energy cannot penetrate a defense made of the same energy, at least not after some serious overloading. Thus ships can have a primary weapon and a secondary weapon. Or perhaps a sliding scale of size. each weapon or defense takes up 1 unit of space. Thus, the smallest ship has one 1 unit of space, an can choose either a weapon or a defense matrix. The largest ships can have10 spaces, allowing them to have a defense and a weapon of each type. Or you can reduce that value to 6 or 7, stating that ships large enough to have weapons useful for their size and have more than that many types of weapon/defense requires too much energy to be maintainable.

I think about the system I liked for Star ship conbat best, "Star Warriors" and it was pretty simple, though. One type of shield, just varying damage for weapons. The beauty of that system was maneuvering. I recommend adapting something like that and adding some complexity to the weapon/defense mechanics.

Legion:
I like the idea about ship size and amount of different weaponery on it, the reason why I went with only 3 different weapons is just to make it simplier, but if you think that having more would not complicate it to much go for it.  Also the idea that an Ion gun can not damage an Ion shielded ship would make it very intresting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version