Alternate Realities > Endless Stars

Combat

(1/8) > >>

Entsuropi:
For the combat section, I suggest something along the lines of a simple contested dice roll. Each unit gives a certain number of advantage points, as does factors like terrain and such.  

Example:
Player A has 1 fighter launcher platform, 5 frigates and 3 cruisers. He has attached 4 squadrons of fighters to the fleet.

Fighters = 1 each.
Frigates = 3 each.
Cruisers = 8 each.
Fighter Launcher, due to it's ability to coordinate and control fighter squadrons better, has an advantage points equal to the fighter squadrons total. Note that I like the idea of interlocking bonuses - like having tanks that have a higher score if there is APC mounted infantry in the same army.

Total is 4 + 15 + 24 + 4 = 47.  

His opponent (Player B) has something similar, resulting in 35 advantage points. However, player A is attacking a system controlled by Player B, who had the foresight to construct a minefield around the jump gate. This gives him a +2 advantage point bonus on the first combat fought in the system after it's construction (one time bonus only). He now has 37.  

The players each roll a dice, lets say a D100 divided by half. Player 1 gets 23, and player 2 gets 35. Totalled, they get:
Player 1: 47 + 23 = 70.
Player 2: 35 + 37 = 72.  

Player 2 has won the combat, and maintains his hold over the system. The difference in scores could be used to determine how many ships were lost on each side.

Just an idea. It is simple, fairly fast I suppose, and can be easily swapped out for something else if desired. A ground combat version could be similar, but should be configured to the specifications of the game. A game of 40k should have endless ground wars, represented by slow attrition style battles. Star Trek, however, should have ground battles be very quick to represent the series's dislike of showing bloody warfare on that scale.

Mr_Pleasington:
I like what I see here.  Here are some thing I've thought of, just generally:

1. Fleets can be divided into squadrons and assigned orders during combat.  Action is resolved squadron vs. squadron.

2. The combat system should be able to take into account new technology.  For instance, units should be able to be created via a balanced point system and given abilities like Heavy Shields, Ion Cannon, Assault, Interceptor, etc.

3. I like the idea of interlocking bonuses.  Another good example would be bombardment ships offering a bonus to ground base combatants.

4. Ground based combat should be fought on three fronts.  The attacking and defending players divide their forces between each of these fronts and each front has its combat resolved.  You must win at least two fronts to take a planet.

Entsuropi:
Your ideas adds a lot of complexity. Are you sure you want to slow the game down like that?

Though i like the 3 fronts idea. Perhaps different genres can just have more fronts - star trek only having 1, compared to 40k having 5 or 7.

Legion:
With the advantage points you could have upgrades increase a units point lvl, so a base  Cruisers has 8 points, but can have upgrades to raises its lvl to 12.

Mr_Pleasington:

--- Quote ---Your ideas adds a lot of complexity. Are you sure you want to slow the game down like that?

Though i like the 3 fronts idea. Perhaps different genres can just have more fronts - star trek only having 1, compared to 40k having 5 or 7.
--- End quote ---

It adds complexity, yes, but it also adds strategy.  Otherwise, you just build up the biggest fleet you can without thinking of how it interacts.  Without making some tactical decisions during battle it becomes a very non-interactive combat game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version