Author Topic: Old Data (ignore) Rules and Conventions  (Read 5602 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Old Data (ignore) Rules and Conventions
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:56:01 PM »
NOTE: this post will change as I am able to get data typed up.

I have changed the rules set: we will be using Ova. Since most of your are beginners, and this is a pretty basic system that I want to try out and I think will be more intuitive, allowing you to take greater part in your character creation.

Here is a free handout listing hte core abilities and weaknesses that can be applied to characters. It's only two pages.

Core Concepts: you roll two standard, six-sided dice, plus any additional dice that may apply due to circumstances or other relevant skills. Doubles are added together. The highest number you get is the result, which you hope is higher than the target difficulty.
ie, if you are trying to scare some information out of a guard, and your score in Intimidate were 2, you would roll four dice -- You roll the four dice and get 2, 6, 4 and 4. YOu get to add the doubles, and so your results are 2, 6, and 8. 8 is the best score you got. Since this is a grunt guard, I decide it only took a 4 to beat him. He's trying desperately not to vacate his bowels, you scared him so bad.

Character creation:
Choose any number of abilities to be ones important to your character concept. Rank these 1-3 (three is really really good, and most characters will only start with one ability at this level, if any). The total number of ranks you assign should be less than 5. However this is off set by weaknesses
Weaknesses are assigned the same way as abilities, but they *subtract* from your ability total. Thus if you have a 1 in intimidate, a 1 in fighting, 2 in strong, and 1 in hobby (collects knives) and 1 in quick, you have a total of 6. However, you've also got a 1 in bad reputation, so this brings the total back down to 5. You have a legal character.
No matter how many weaknesses you take, your total abilities should *not* be higher than 10

Races: The most common races in this world are described in the setting thread anything in addition to these listed can be approved on a case by case basis.
General descriptions of these will be made available soon. Feel free to add in new race ideas, just run them by me first.

Magic: magic item availability and cost will be roughly based on the rules in the DMG, but will not be automatic. Some will be cheaper (offered in the company store) and others will be more expensive and less available.

You may create your own first level character and submit it to me for approval. Or you may come up with a character concept, and I'll make stats up for you.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 02:59:52 AM by SaintEhlers »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Rules and Conventions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 03:02:21 PM »
Posting rules;

You must check and post on the active thread twice a day, not counting weekends or US holidays.

POsts made by people other than players with characters in the thread or the GM (me) will be deleted. Feel free to create a thread for observer comments elsewhere.

Out of character comments or questions should be signified, preferably by italics. Putting *OOC* before and after the out of character remarks is also acceptable

Things the character says should be put in quotes "like this"

Things the character does should be stated in the first person. Non-first person comments will generally be interpretted as something the character says, though I'll probably be lenient if you say something "my characters <does whatever>"

Refer to other characters by the character's name.

Be detailed and extensive about what you plan to do and say. Remember there's a time lag, and the more you give me, the better I can narrate.

Anything in my posts ret-cons what you said. If you say:
I climb the wall and sneak up on the gnoll, knocking him out
I may say "your climb check failed" which would mean you are *not* sneaking up on the gnoll and do not knock him out. same if your climb check succeeds but your hide/move silently check fails.  Narrate your decisions, and then I'll post something that says what actually happened. Please feel free to post alternative actions, in case something fails, you can have a plan b. That would actually be very helpful.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 05:02:15 PM »
I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it further.

No, really, I'm switching systems to Ova. Description is now in the first post above. race descriptions will appear in the setting thread. If you have questions about how the system works, ask here and I will answer.

Tjaeden

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 08:07:53 PM »
So "Ova" is not the first post?

Can you link/elaborate please?  (I am hoping to do some number crunching,  ;) )

Thanks!

Edit:
Your PDF link was really cool.  How many positives and how many negatives can you have?  Are they equal? (I actually saw more weaknesses that I wanted than powers, heehee.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 08:14:37 PM by Tjaeden »
Once I dreamt of death /
now it dreams of me,
And only rats and rotting flesh /
can hear my silent plea...

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 03:31:04 PM »
under the new guidelines, it will be a simple matter of just choosing. You can make up your own too. The pdf is just a list to get you started. I'm writing up some NPC descriptions today. So I hope to have this going by tomorrow.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 12:11:48 AM »
How're those NPC examples coming?  Does the character I sent you still work fine?
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 03:14:02 PM »
the npc write ups were a lie.

I am a liar, you know

Really, I'm doing stuff on it today
while I watch Crank.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 02:56:35 AM »
Did I say "afternoon" and "Crank"?
I meant "evening" and "The Black Hole."

I got sick from lunch or something.  Anyway, I'm restructuring the game now.