Author Topic: Players  (Read 17321 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Players
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:24:46 PM »
Post on this thread if you want to join. Ideally, a rough character concept.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Players
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 04:10:20 PM »
Seeing as how SE stole many of his ideas from me, I'm game. Although, I have to admit I'm very ... uninitiated in the realm of RPG. So. Be nice!

Also, I must ponder a bit more before posting my character outline. I am toying with making a long-standing "inside joke" come to life: the dreaded Office Gypsy. She shall oversee the mojo for each new project and will also make things lively around the office. If anyone forgets to clean out the microwave after exploding a bunch of dragons eggs in it, they had better watch out!

Edit: oh, wait, our world has no microwaves. However, we shall, I think, have Wizardwaves!! Yes, and they are very affordable though a wizard has to come re-charge the magical cooking flame every ten years or so. No chance of getting cancer though, which is a big plus.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 04:41:41 PM by shrain78 »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Seeker

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 04:22:51 PM »
I'll join up.  Is there a certain requirement to be a certain race or  can i choose?  Anyways my character will be  a 27 year old half elf, half human thief, who uses small amounts of elven magic and silver daggers for special assassination jobs.
-Is there anything more beautiful than the sun? I often watch it rise, for my restless sleep usually awakens me before dawn.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 04:35:14 PM »
see the rules thread: http://www.timewastersguide.com/boards/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=sneaks;action=display;num=1159984561

that concept should be acceptable. I know I'll need to do stats for Shrain's character, do I need to do yours too? (it's fine if I do, I just need to know)

Seeker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 04:49:26 PM »
I would appreciate it... :)
-Is there anything more beautiful than the sun? I often watch it rise, for my restless sleep usually awakens me before dawn.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 02:23:42 AM »
I would love to play.  I would appreciate being a shapeshifting thief or mage (if somebody else is going for thief, and the team needs to be balanced out, I would gladly go with a dark mage).  

Either way, I wouldn't know how to make my character for this setting, so I would need some help having that done.

Weapon of choice--Shuriken

Basic stat layout (are we playing D&D style, where we roll for these, or do we chose them?)  If chosen, I'd like a high constitution and intelligence.

Second weapon--Colli Sticks

Basic Skill sets: stealth, detecting traps and opponents, contained combat

Is there anything else I need to put down for you to figure this out.  Do you need me to change some information or clear anything up?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 02:24:26 AM by GorgontheWonderCow »
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 08:10:53 AM »
I'm not sure what colli sticks are, but I haven't hit wikipedia yet this morning, so maybe I'll know before you respond. Also, when you say "contained combat" are you talking about hand to hand?

Remember that stealth and guile are more important than actually beating people up.

I think that multiple rogue/theif types would be more than acceptable. However, if you have a spell caster, are you more interested in necromantic (raising zombies, doing negative energy damage) or what I consider the "stealth" set -- spells like Darkness, silence, detect magic/evil/whatever, etc.? Come to think of it, Silence will be a very useful spell in such a setting: prevents guards from warning each other, quiets combat, helps you sneak around, prevents a lot of spell casting.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 12:10:28 PM »
I'm tentatively in. I think my character will be (subject to tweaking):

Race: 70-year-old female halfling (assuming that halflings live to 120 or so)

Weapons: Dagger

Basic stats: endurance, wisdom

Basic Skill sets: hand-to-hand, lockpick, cipher-cracker

Magic: Mutes the magical properties of items she touches, as long as she's touching them
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 12:20:04 PM »
I am wanting a Bard. I am to need to know if having skills of a diplomatic nature (intimidating, bluffing, etc) would be useful, or if as is stated by the entire nature of this thing, sneaking about (so skills like hide and move silently would be a better fit).

“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 01:05:39 PM »
diplomatic skills should also be useful.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 05:06:10 PM »
I'm not sure what colli sticks are, but I haven't hit wikipedia yet this morning, so maybe I'll know before you respond. Also, when you say "contained combat" are you talking about hand to hand?

Remember that stealth and guile are more important than actually beating people up.

I think that multiple rogue/theif types would be more than acceptable. However, if you have a spell caster, are you more interested in necromantic (raising zombies, doing negative energy damage) or what I consider the "stealth" set -- spells like Darkness, silence, detect magic/evil/whatever, etc.? Come to think of it, Silence will be a very useful spell in such a setting: prevents guards from warning each other, quiets combat, helps you sneak around, prevents a lot of spell casting.
"

I certainly spelled 'colli' wrong, first off.  Essentially, there's short sticks from about the elbow to the hand in length, good for quick, hard blows used mostly to knock somebody over or out instead of killing them.

I'll go with the mage, I'd like manipulation spells (mostly manipulate environment) such as darkness, silence, and (I don't know if this system has these) mental manipulation, such as control person or implant thoughts.

I mostly meant close-quarters fighting by contained, I worded it poorly--it was really late here when I said it. :-P.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 06:47:07 PM »
SE, if you want a better idea of what Gorgon meant, look up Eskrima, or Kali sticks in Wikipedia.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 09:12:45 AM »
will do so.

Will be making character sheets this week, actually starting the game will come the week after some time. I have to work out some adventure details. I'm making more of the chars than expected, so that explains the delay.

Kuntrey_Pilgrum

• Level 4
  • One by one, the penguins stold my sanity....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 12:25:09 PM »
 Ã‚ I'm game, but I am VERY new at this kinda thing.  Necromancy is always awesome, though, as well as dark magery ;D You can figure my stats for me, i'm good at intelligent things, but usually like to blow things up a little to much as well.

I will warn you though; my characters usualy come out
chrochety and/or domineering. Go ME!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 12:30:05 PM by Kuntry_Bumpken »
No Ninja Monkey can stand up to my Penguin Commandos! ATTACK!!!!

"This has to be an indicator of insanity. Not only am I talking to myself, i'm refusing to speak to me!"

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 01:08:22 PM »
I have not made character sheets yet. Contrary to popular belief, this is not solely because I am a lazy sack of crap. Mostly it's because I dont' have the manuals here. Instead I wrote you an employee manual of sorts. All players should download and read it, as your characters will be held responsible for the material therein. (it's short, less than 3 pages).

I am also plotting your first adventure, so I'm not just wasting time, but expect to see your sheets early next week.