Author Topic: The Horror  (Read 5633 times)

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Horror
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2004, 02:50:19 AM »
I'd say, "as often happens when word of mouth is involved" instead of "as are all stories that are told orally."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2004, 07:39:11 AM »
I'll have to think about this, sorry, but I've got snow and food to worry about for the next couple hours

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2004, 09:51:54 AM »
Ummm... yeah well, by 9:45 I'll be gone for the rest of the day. And I won't be coming back around to edit the story.

Since I have classes from 10-3, no breaks. And then the newspaper meeting is at 3:30 now, instead of at 5 like it was last semester.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 09:59:14 AM by Gemm »
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2004, 10:59:23 AM »
Sorry dude. But by the time you posted the question, I was already getting into bed. Then I had a potty training session when I woke up and snow to cope with. Frankly, I wouldn't talk about the story being distorted. It only seems to call your authority as the narrator into question without adding anything to it. If you feel you need another closing line, I'd choose something else. I originally suggested something about the source fo the story. How does the narrator know this stuff? the more I think about it though, I don't think that's necessary either.  Just change the last sentence from neither of them seeing an ending to hoping Jones finds peace or something would close it down nicely.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2004, 12:24:38 PM »
Oh ho ho, you are lucky that my 11 o'clock class was cancelled. But thank you.

WAIT, awesome thingy I just thought of. Maybe this is the doctor narrating?! Eh? And I end with "I hope Jones, my last homosapien subject, will find peace." Eh eh? An old kicker in the teeth!
                William S. Burroughs

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2004, 12:41:42 PM »
That's interesting, but requires some edits: How does the doctor know what Jones is thinking before the surgery, etc. I think though, with edits, that would be kinda cool

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2004, 06:57:05 PM »
Yeah... but a bit lot of work.
                William S. Burroughs

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2004, 12:47:53 AM »
Okay, in general, I think I could stand for a little more detail.  For example, the walk in the woods on the way (unknowingly) to the house.  This scene, which is brushed over, really, has the opportunity to set the tone, and flesh out "Jones" right at the very beginning.  Otherwise I just think of him as a walking letterman's jacket.  

I think you could spend more time on the doctor, too.  Have him say more and converse more with Jones.  Reveal his creepiness in this way, or with other quirky appearance or behavior details, instead of relying on the mad scientist stereotype.

It's unclear that Jones loses consciousness while being operated on, but you allude to it with the morphine and the waking up later.  Jones seems to spend a lot of time unconscious for being a protagonist.  Maybe give more detail when he's awake to balance it out.

And his first reaction to his new face: this is very important to this story, and I was uncomfortable with how you treated it.  "He was frightened beyond belief by seeing what had happened to him, but he did not cry out or start yelling."  What did he do?  I think you should describe the reaction a little bit more before you move on.

The ideas and plot are sound and interesting.  I think you could invest a little more in the characters you create to make it more engaging as a story.