• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Peks 6
« on: February 12, 2004, 07:16:04 PM »
Ok, since most weren't there, I thought I'd throw this out for anyone who had read chapter 6 but hasn't commented. THe chapter is pretty straightforward, so there's not much complicated.

By Kije's council, I'd already decided to give them "jobs" though Peks is so phenomenally bad at it that the soldiers actively invite him to stop doing it, so his activities remain essentially the same.

The rhythm of the smith's work distracts Peks from thinking, so he feels safe: he won't fall back into his "seeing/knowing things," but I think I need to make the gift  more pervasive in his life for that to be recognized. Assent/dissent on this assessment?

Gaero and Jacik are little more than plot devices with names. Are they effective enough? Does their minor role/development distract you?

Talk to me about the clarity and pacing of the chapter after the knights arrive.

I'm trying to make it clear that, as Kije says, that the local knights are the local knights seems all form but little substance, but they at least PRETEND and nod at being helpful. What I'm not sure is coming out is that the people fall for it, most of them like these guys and think they're heroes. All this contrasts with the Imperial Knights coming soon, who are actually really good and dedicated, but aren't so trusted or loved.

Any other comments?

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
Re: Peks 6
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 02:44:44 PM »
Are you referring to the local knights or local soilders?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 03:06:07 PM »
Wow, That last paragraph WAS confusing, wasn't it?

Basically: the local knights are snobs and jerks. The local people (soldiers and otherwise, anyone who isn't nobility, and even most of the nobility) think the local knights are still pretty swell and heroic. These knights don't do much, but they at least make a form of it. It's the cult of personality sort of thing. They're celebrities.

So yeah, I'm talking about the local KNIGHTS.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 04:51:25 PM »
Saint, I'm sorry about last night. I did get online at home, as promised, but Murphy's law was in effect which meant that BYU's system wasn't accepting outside requests. Which pretty much left me the BYU homepage and no IM capabilities.

As for the knights . . . we haven't really seen enough of them to make that kind of judgement. Basically there was a procession which the boys viewed from afar. That's as far as you've introduced the knights by the end of Chapter 6. That leaves me to fall back on fantasy stereotypes which is ambiguous as far as knights go.

I like Gaero and Jacik. Not too distracting and a good development of the difference between Birge and Peks.

Making Peks gifts more pervasive in his life: dissent. I think Peks understanding of his gift should follow his acceptance of it. As he understands his gift more he accepts it to a greater degree. To my mind that means his gift should be less pervasive at the beginning.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 05:05:49 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 05:04:47 PM »
s'all good, we watched Galaxy Quest and I didn't get much work done, about 180 words is all. I need to get some more focus on writing.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

With the pervasiveness, I'm thinking just making it more pervasive BEFORE he rejects it fully. So that he sees/knows more things. That might not change your opinion, but i'm not sure I was clear. Anyone else got some feedback for me on that?

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 05:13:22 PM »
So like chapter 2ish?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 07:47:51 PM »
well, he doesn't get the power till after chapter 2 ends. But chapters 3 and 4. Just little things.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 01:40:05 PM »
Ah. That makes a little more sense. I'd be interested to see how you do it.