Author Topic: Writing Preparation  (Read 4437 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Writing Preparation
« on: May 13, 2004, 07:43:24 PM »
How much do you do?  What files do you create?  

I've done it various ways.  Usually I have an 'outline' document for plots, a 'character' document for characters, and a 'world' document for magic systems and things.

Sometimes, the preparatory documents are only a couple dozen pages.  (Elantris.)  Sometimes they're hundreds of pages long.  (Dragonsteel, Way of Kings.)

Do you do any daily preparation--like, before you start writing that day?  Look over your notes, write some new ones, that kind of thing.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Writing Preparation
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 07:48:08 PM »
Well, me and SE have gotten some nice notes on a story for me to write. So hopefully that'll turn something up. I don't really like to have things down, and even though I know I should I don't. I usually like to keep it all in my head. That will however most likely change soon.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 07:51:25 PM »
That's all really good to hear EUOL, as I've been wondering how everybody else approaches it.

I've been outlining each chapter before I start writing (well, I don't think I have actually written anything on the latest project). One of the most helpful elements for me so far has been my "questions" section at the bottom of the chapter outlines. It usually lists things that need to be defined in some way so that I don't forget and have to go back and rewrite later for consistency.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 07:53:25 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 08:48:37 PM »
Well, me and SE have gotten some nice notes on a story for me to write. So hopefully that'll turn something up. I don't really like to have things down, and even though I know I should I don't. I usually like to keep it all in my head. That will however most likely change soon.

Excactly how I feel.  If I do a prewrite I never get the product I origionally wanted anyway... so I just keep the main ideas in my head, sit down and write it, proofread and make any changes.  It takes less time than prewriting, anyway  :P...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 08:52:33 PM »
The thing about prewriting is that the more you do it, the better you get at planning things so they turn out the way you want.  Without it, a lot of people have a tendency to wander a lot in their writing.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 09:04:17 PM »
I spend weeks, months, years just noting ideas. The rate at which I've gotten new ideas has accelerated recently. I write down the ideas. sometimes I outline on paper. All of it is simply to keep my ideas straight. I don't want to forget them, and there have been many ideas that I've lost in the past.

then I eventually feel like an idea has to be written out and turned into a story/novel. At that point, I need to think up several scenes so that I can actually go. I outline it in my head by deciding how I'm going to get to that scene. That generally tells me where I have to go out of it (or at least lets me know what my options are).

I sometimes find myself needing to talk about it with other people so I can figure out what my options are. Lots of conversation, usually in writing, are needed. as I go through.

As for daily prep, nto much is needed. Usually a game or two of something, an hour usually being too much, is enough. I then just open the document to where I was and pick it back up.

What is your daily prep like EUOL?

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 09:29:46 PM »
Two things.  First, I've found that if I just spend five minutes or so making a list of things I want to accomplish in a particular chapter, I write better.  I just keep this list at the bottom of the document, and I scroll down and add things to it as ideas come to me during a chapter for things to happen later within it.

Second, I find that the visualization of a scene is better if I pause for a few moments before writing it and think about the mood, scenery, and distinctive elements of this particular setting in this part of the book.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 09:34:48 PM »
i will try those. They sound like worthy habits.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 12:05:44 AM »
I never write anything down until it's final, but I do however storyboard it, this helps me to describe the imagery in situatins and settings that would be otherwise vague, It also helps me to nail down my characters...
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

angel

• Level 4
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 03:32:13 AM »
eat a lot of candy hen go to sleep, it makes me have really funky dreams, that make for great short stories
it's all in the wrist...

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2004, 06:49:23 AM »
I kinda do a bunch in my head, but that's it. never anything formal really, since if I write it down I'll never read it again.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 08:27:33 AM »
In the past I have kept an idea file, but lately I've been much less organized about it and haven't gone back to them. But I do keep a writing journal in which I'll write the beginnings of scenes, etc. That way when I'm on the computer I have something like a writing prompt that gets me going on the scene.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2004, 09:29:45 AM »
That's what I like about KeyNote, Stacer. It's EXCELLENT at visually organizing your ideas and still keeping them in one place

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2004, 11:58:34 AM »
Personally, I plan through outlines, although none of them are terribly concrete.  Usually, I'll write out an outline at the beginning, with a general idea for each chapter.  After writing for a while (maybe five or six chapters) I'll re-outline the whole book, and then continue on writing.  I find that the very best ideas come during writing, rather than during planning, so I like to be flexible enough to go where the ideas take me.  I'll usually end up with eight or ten outlines before I get to the end of a book.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2004, 01:25:11 PM »
I've found that if I just spend five minutes or so making a list of things I want to accomplish in a particular chapter, I write better.  

That sounds like a very intelligent and practical idea.  I'm going to try that.