Author Topic: Got a flat, assitance appreciated  (Read 1591 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Got a flat, assitance appreciated
« on: May 27, 2004, 02:28:15 AM »
So I've been trying to work on this story. But I hit the proverbial cow herd roadblock. How do you, as writers find yourself getting yourself out of these situations?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
Re: Got a flat, assitance appreciated
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 02:55:51 AM »
uh I ussually give morgane a muffin and dont let her give it back to me until I'm done writing(that always makes me work harder and inspires) so you should give someone something you really want and then tell them not to let you have it until you get inspired and finish whatever you are working on. kinda like that  thing where you have an animal pulling a sled and you put some food just out of their reach so that they will keep running.
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 09:29:17 AM »
the problem isn't usually motivation for most people, they want to get it done.

Gemm, i'd just write. Keep writing. Write about how you're stuck. Write about what the question is you haven't answered, keep typing so you're in the groove. Don't take a break to get he mail, to play a game, to go get something, just keep typing. Eventually the words will come back to where you need them to be.

That's why God gave us computers, so we could delete all that extra stuff.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 09:50:49 AM »
I'd do the opposite. Stop, and sleep on it. In a day or three, come back, and just start witing and see if it's gone.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 10:18:04 PM »
A few days seems like a little much.  I would read a book for about an hour or so, and come back to it.  Then plow through like SE said.  You need to get your mind off it first, I think, to get ideas that you would have never thought of before.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 11:44:37 PM »
I think it depends on what kind of writing you're talking about. Something short with a quick deadline--yes, come back to it after an hour or so. But if you're stuck on something in a larger work, I'd let it rest a few days and come back to it. But in theory I'd be working on something else in the meantime, that might get me flowing back onto the blocked part.

In reality, I've only been writing every couple of days anyway.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 04:23:29 PM »
What works for me may not work for everyone.  I no longer need the "Write and keep writing!" advice, since I have proven that I can consistently produce.

If I hit a road block, Gemm, it's generally because something in my story isn't working--and I know it.  It could be as simple as 'I'm tired and don't quite have the vision of this chapter right now.'  Or, it could be 'This character really doesn't feel right to me.'  

In the first case, I usually do what JP suggested--I let it go and start on the chapter again (usually throwing away what I wrote that 'didn't work' the night before.)  In the second case, I usually have to excise a large portion of what I've been working on and try again.  Generally, I catch this pretty quickly--first three chapters or so--and therefore may have a false start or two on the book.  However, it's for the best in the end.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch