Author Topic: need your opinion  (Read 3436 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
need your opinion
« on: June 01, 2004, 07:53:19 PM »
My tax accountant ("Uncle Dan") has informed me that it would very much be worth it for me to sell something, ANYTHING this year, so I could write off WorldCon and a new laptop.

So, that means I need to sell soemthing.

Since a novel won't happen, I need to sell a story. Which means I need to finish up a story. I have several first drafts, and i'm not sure which is best. So I need an elite group of readers to read up to five stories and tell me what is closest to publication.

So.... volunteers? Keep in mind that I want it fast, and I want MOSTLY just a statement of which most deserves immediate attention, though any critical comments toward approval will definitely help.

s'il vous plait?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: need your opinion
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 08:02:40 PM »
I volunteer.  

You still have my email I assume?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 08:05:26 PM »
I would be up for that.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 08:07:52 PM »
I do! (it's the yahoo one, right?) I may even have your married name spelled right!

Though, looking at it, the "display as" feature was NOT updated, so it looks like I have your maiden name. Sorry.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 08:14:16 PM »
I remember doing something like this before.  Was that novels?  Anyway, I don't mind skimming a few stories and giving my impressions.

Hum.  Writing off Worldcon this year is going to be tough.  As I understand it, you want to earn more than you deduct, because otherwise you are entered into the 'loss' section of being a business owner, which makes a lot of hassles for you.  So, you'd not only have to make some cash, you'd have to make enough to cover the laptop and Worlcon--so we're talking several grand here.  

If you want that much by the end of the year, it's going to take some serious professional sales--markets paying 10+ cents a word.  Not impossible, but those markets can have long review times, and can be rather finicky.  That means you'll want to send off five or so short stories before the end of June, I'd say.

That means, fix up ALL five stories and make them as good as you can.  

Also, for the laptop, you can always deduct that on a 'depreciation' scale instead of an 'all at once' scale.  That's what I chose to do, since it gives me a small deduction every year instead of one big one.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 08:25:03 PM »
Yeah, that was novels. And the one I'm writing now wasn't even thought of when I sent those out (none of which were finished... I hope that's not a bad sign).

well, here's what Uncle Dan says

The problem is that before you sell some of you writing it's all pre-operating and non-deductible.  As soon as you sell something it's all deductible.  You're still an amatuer as so now.  The trick is to sell something.

If you sold something, and I mean even a nominal amount, then the fun begins and yes it is worth it.

I hope to do several. Actually, what I hope is enough to get the credit I want, then be able to finish the novel, then work on more of something else.

The deduction goal is $2000. I don't need a nice laptop. In fact, I don't *need* anything more than will run Word. What I'm shooting for is something that will play NWN, which is modest. WorldCon I'm estimating at $6-700. Remember, I don't have to fly, and the car trip to Boston is something like 2 tanks of gas, tops, so my travel expenses are fairly minimal. I'm sure i could get both of them for under $1500, so even at that, and assuming I need to do more, I need to sell 75000 words at two cents a word.... that means like, 10 stories. which is still a lot. If I had the ten cent market, I'd only have to do 2 at that size.

ANyway, i'm charging ahead with "Brijon" for now, till I get more feedback, since it has the most comments from the past.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 08:54:24 PM »
I'm partial to "Magroth" so far.  It's the most orginal and clever of the three I've read, (I'm going backwards alphabetically).

Also, you seem to be a commitment-phobic when it comes to fonts.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 09:34:44 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 09:44:13 PM »
I'm completely up for reading some stories and ginving my opinion. Particularlylif I can get them in the next half-hour or so. I have four more hours to kill at work with little to do.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 09:49:14 PM »
well, they were written at a plethora of different times. Some before I knew what manuscript format.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 11:07:12 PM »
There's no way I'll be able to read until Thursday. But I will then if you need me to.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2004, 07:36:14 AM »
Yes, I would. The Abridged Speculists should have received a link already.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2004, 08:01:16 AM »
If you want to get on IM, I'll tell you all about it, since I'm too lazy to fiddle around with my ill-functioning mail client. Nor can I be bothered to type it here, for reasons that will go unexplained to make me seem more enigmatic.

Yes, I did in fact read them all instead of my book. Be grateful.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2004, 09:17:26 AM »
I am grateful. Unfortunately I'm at work. I'll IM you tonight since you wish not to email.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 03:24:42 PM »
I shot you an email (zoboo) with my opinion

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.