Author Topic: Let's Name Something Else!  (Read 4778 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Let's Name Something Else!
« on: June 23, 2004, 12:58:00 AM »
Okay, folks.  If you've been paying attention to the other thread I started here today, I've been working on a new series schema.  I need a title for the overarching series, however.

I've been thinking of calling the series "The Aethers of Lore," with 'Lore' being the world name.  

I'm not sure if I like this, though.  I like 'Lore' because of the way it sounds, not necessarily because of its dictionary meaning.  I've tried other iterations of the same sound, but none of them quite work.  Lorr doesn't look right on the page, I think, and Lorre makes me think it should be pronounced 'Lory,' like the actor.  

Thoughts?  

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Name Something Else!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 01:01:10 AM »
Well I'll agree that seeing "Aethers of Lore" makes me think 'Accumulated facts, traditions, or beliefs about a particular subject.'  Or, Data's brother, since I'm a Star Trek fan.

Erm, not a world at all.  You just like the name Lore? This is a little harder...

Lor
Loar
Loare
Lorre
Lour

« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 01:05:32 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 01:10:00 AM »
Now, it's okay to have a title have double meanings.  I guess I'm not completely opposed to having 'Lore' there.  However, do you think it's silly to name a world 'Lore?

Modesitt got away with 'Recluse,' and I actually think that's a very appropriate and clever name for a world.  It works quite well.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 01:10:33 AM by EUOL »

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 01:17:09 AM »
Well I thought Recluse was ridiculous so I'm not the person to ask.

Lore isn't too bad.  Much better than Recluse.

Ok, I'll shut up now and let other people comment.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 01:19:39 AM »
I think Lore is a fine name for a world.  Plus you already have a unique sort of spelling with aether instead of just ether, if I'm understanding this at all.  So I don't think you want to spell Lore some exotic way, just Lore.

Also on the other thread you mentioned the title AETHER OF NIGHT, so I'm guessing each book would be like Aether Of Blood, Aether Of Storms, etc... I'm guessing it has something to do with your magic, so I'm just filling in the blanks with random things.  Anyway, so you have AETHER OF [blank], for each element of magic or whatever, then AETHER OF LORE for the overall series.  Sounds like a decent title concept to me, especially if you are wanting to say Hey this is in the same Mythos.  Also, if you are planning on linking the series together via magic, then titling it off of the magic makes a lot of sense.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 01:36:28 AM »
I wish I could get away with a sub-series name.  

I.e.:

The Aethers of Lore
The Aether of Wind Trillogy, Book One.
CLIMB THE SKY (That's the actual book title.)

Perhaps something like

CLIMB THE SKY

The Aethers of Lore:
Aether of Wind Trillogy, Book One.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 05:09:16 AM by EUOL »

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 01:40:01 AM »
I fully support that, because I am sick and tired of taking home books from the library and then not having ANY clue what's going on because it's book 4 of 7 and nowhere on the jacket does it deign to mention that fact.

Sick and tired.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 01:48:23 AM »
What do you think of the title?  It appeals to me, for some reason.  It's a bit different from my standard titling vernacular, which might be why I am drawn to it.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 01:49:52 AM »
I think there's precedent for something like that.  Look at Shannara for example.  You have Shannara, then you have the Shannara Trilogy, The Heritage Of Shannara, The Voyage Of Shannara, and High Druid Of Shannara.  Then each of the books under that have their titles.

So I think it would work.  When you are talking about something witht that type of breadth, its almost expected for their to be a clear labeling system.  Imagine trying to talk about Shannara if every single book just had "Shannara" for the title, or even with them each having their own title but the whole series just called "Shannara".  There are serious changes between Trilogy and Voyage, or Heritage and High Druid.

For what you are talking about here, I think you would need a title system like that.  Not really, oh is this a neat enough idea to use.  If you're going to have 2 or 3 series set in the same mythos, sounds like a good idea to do somthing like that.  And I like how the titles match up, since its easy to know what's going on and what goes with what.  Ever saw a book that looked good but then got frusterated trying to figure out what book goes where?  Heh.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 05:08:38 AM »
All right, looks like I posted this too late for a lot of you.  So, if you're just coming to the thread, here's a summary of things I'd like your opinion on:

1) "Aethers of Lore"  Do you like the title?  What do you think of calling a world "lore" anyway?  

2) Possible other spellings of Lore that you think would sound cool?

3) Do you like the series/sub-series idea for titles?

4) Climb the Sky.  Good name for a book?

5) Any other random thoughts.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 05:56:55 AM »
actauly Aether is the correct spelling of the word, sort of.  It's actualy Æther.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 05:57:24 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 09:57:01 AM »
Not according to Dr. Sorensen, who said the ae as one letter died out a long time ago and is no longer appropriate for modern use.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 09:58:20 AM »

4) Climb the Sky.  Good name for a book?

Catchy, but why? Explain the relevance of that title.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 10:45:47 AM »
I have to say that Climb the Sky sounds kind of like a motivational chldren's TV show.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 12:03:06 PM »
Wow, you people stay up late. You were posting at 4am my time.

I agree with Eagle Prince on the series-subseries issue--you need a clear labeling system, and the one you've come up with is straightforward and sounds good, too.

I like the idea of the world being named Lore or Lorre. When I see it, I think the French pronunciation, Lor, with a long O, so I don't know as if you'd have a problem with people wanting to call it a British truck (lorry). I do like the double meaning of Lore more, though.

Climb the Sky--hmm, not sure how I feel about it. Seems okay, and would be even better if the context warrented it.

Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing