Author Topic: Profanity in writing  (Read 5963 times)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Profanity in writing
« on: November 17, 2004, 08:54:45 PM »
I am curious as to how the rest of you regard swearing in fiction. I have a character at the end of this story that is very VERY angry, and I think it would be appropriate for him to swear. Opinions?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Profanity in writing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 09:10:47 PM »
well, most of us write sf&f where profanity is usually shunned. It quickly pulls the reader out of the story. Which is also why generally including profanity is bad. Course, in modern settings, it might be appropriate. Since I don't write in modern day settings, I don't usually come across this issue.

Course, sf&f writers often create their own profanity words, which can be very interesting. Farscape is a good example, it uses lots of invented words. Course, introducing these words too late in the story can make your style confusing. Again drawing the reader out of the story.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 09:19:02 PM »
I don't usually find them required. Sometimes they may fit the story, but I rarely find them the only solution to the needs of the story

So I avoid them. I find them offensive, though I'm really bad about avoiding them in real life. I had bad habits when I was younger and I still have difficulty breaking them. However, in writing, I'm much more controlled, so I almost always leave them out.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 09:40:05 PM »
There is also the stigma among some literary folk, that writers who use profanity are not as good as those who don't. There is some truth in that.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 10:33:18 PM »
See, that is something that I have never liked. I never believe that because someone swears, they are less capable of expressing themselves, or they are somehow a lesser writer. I see it as using all of the tools that are available to them. Sure if it is used too much then it can be an obvious detraction from the story. But it CAN be an effective coveyor of emotion, and especially anger. If you dont use profanity to express anger, often the anger turns to mention of violence, which many people consider to be worse.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 10:35:23 PM »
I don't see minor use of profanity a problem, but avoid it where possible.

So far in my NaNo I've used the "s" word maybe ten times, and it comes off as a kinda minor curse. I would be extremely reluctant to use anything stronger than that, but I freely use words that are semi-offensive but I don't consider swear words, such as "crap", since no one is really offended by them, when use din the right context.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 12:14:05 AM »
well, most of us write sf&f where profanity is usually shunned. It quickly pulls the reader out of the story. Which is also why generally including profanity is bad. Course, in modern settings, it might be appropriate. Since I don't write in modern day settings, I don't usually come across this issue.

I actually disagree.  Now, I don't generally like profanity, but I think 42's blanket statement does not represent the current market.  Nor would it, I think, 'pull the reader out of the story.'  I don't care what society you go to, there is going to be a word that is a slang euphemism for human feces.  George Martin does not shy from swearing, and he is one of the current best sellers.  I have rarely read a current SF book without it including some swearing.

I think you can write the book without the swearing, but the reason to do so is because you choose to avoid it, not because of the genre conventions.  My favorite way is to simply say 'He swore.'  It gets around the issue while acknowledging how people really act, and you can still convey emotion through other methods.  I find this far better than creating fantasy swear words, which I am beginning to think is a silly way of dealing with the issue.  

(That is, of course, different when making references to deity or other religious curses.  These I think should be world-specific.)

I avoid swearing because I want my book to be accessible to a larger audience, and also because I believe that I should create something that represents my system of values.  You have to make your own decision.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 03:10:29 AM »
gotta agree with EUOL, just because its Sci-fi or fantasy doesnt mean its likely to be swearless.

I'd apply a simple rule, ask yourself if the character would say it. And then write accordingly.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 08:07:04 AM »
Have him do something cooler than just swear.  You should have him swear sometime at the first of the story and some other character says like hey you never swear.  Then at the end he does again, but it should not just be a curse word but some cool curse that sounds like a movie line, like "When I'm done with you, the maggots in hell will find what's left too disgusting".  Then someone at the end says hey you don't curse much, but when you do, you do it right.  That would be cooler than him just swearing, esp if he is the hero.  Leave the real vulgar stuff for the villians.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 08:08:00 AM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 09:56:22 PM »

My favorite way is to simply say 'He swore.'  It gets around the issue while acknowledging how people really act, and you can still convey emotion through other methods.  

That's all well and good until you get into first person.  Then what do you say?  I swore?

Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 10:05:37 PM »
there's not any real difference between "he swore" and "I swore." it isn't any more or less silly. You don't have to report every word the first-person narrator says exactly anymore than anyone else.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 10:10:54 PM »
Then at the end he does again, but it should not just be a curse word but some cool curse that sounds like a movie line, like "When I'm done with you, the maggots in hell will find what's left too disgusting".  Then someone at the end says hey you don't curse much, but when you do, you do it right.  That would be cooler than him just swearing, esp if he is the hero.  Leave the real vulgar stuff for the villians.

Eagle Prince, his cursing is about a long paragraph in length, and I think it does what you are describing pretty well. There are still some swear words in there though.

That's all well and good until you get into first person.  Then what do you say?  I swore?

I have seen that done before. ex. "The car pulled out so close in front of me that I swore." or "The car cut me off, forcing me to stop quickly. I swore loudly at the offending driver."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 05:25:09 AM »
Agreed about the first person.  Actually, I think it would be easier to get around in first person.  You could say something like "I swore at him.  I swore hard, using words I'd never used before--and hope I'll never use again.  But I was mad as...well, I was MAD."
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 02:05:49 PM »
I really don't like swear words in books. I don't see any need for them, and when I do see them I am offended and uncomfortable.

I also like it when the author puts the focus on why the character swore. "I swore at great length which relieved my feelings a little."
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 02:30:09 PM »
I agree. I just don't see a need for them most of the time. They're not a part of my vocabulary, so it jars me to read them. Especially when it's taking the name of God in vain.

I agree with EUOL's solution, if it's felt necessary. Or substitute words, which I guess I use as much as anyone--"oh, man!" "wow" "dang"--not as expletives, but as expressions of amazement or inability to express feeling. But I agree that when writing in fantasy and science fiction that can get a little unreal, so just saying "he swore" and expressing the feeling in narrative is preferable to me.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing