Author Topic: Too Little, Too Late  (Read 4545 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Too Little, Too Late
« on: August 06, 2005, 11:08:28 AM »
Almosts makes me wish I hadn't graduated already.

http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=61438&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Actually, I'm just glad I don't live in Provo anymore.
But now there will actually be parking at my Grandma's house, so I have one less reason not to visit her.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 11:10:46 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Too Little, Too Late
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 01:12:44 PM »
60 bucks? Ouch.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 01:33:10 PM »
See, there's no way BYU was going to get students to give up their cars. I lived there for 4 years without a car, and it was a nightmare anytime I needed anything. And I had a bike--I can't imagine what it would be like for someone who didn't. And now that Storehouse is closed, it's not like there's a store within walking distance. Well, there's Smith's, but that's the most expensive grocery store in town.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 02:58:26 PM »
Actually, the bus system here is great, so the only time I have a problem not having a car is on holidays, and when I'm feeling lazy, which is my own fault anyway.  

Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 04:12:58 PM »
Depends on where you need to go. I hated the bus system in Provo, and it's only been confirmed by the far superior bus systems I've used in Chicago and Boston since then. When I lived in Spanish Fork, it took me an hour and a half each way to get to my job off I-5 in Orem--which would have taken 20-25 minutes driving--because the bus went all through town. Getting from campus to a number of places that the bus didn't run was ridiculously hard, and now that they've started running the Trax, it takes a half hour LONGER to get to Salt Lake than it did with just the bus.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 05:55:42 PM »
I agree with Stacer, unless where you're trying to go is only a few stops away it takes way too long to get places with UTA.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 06:37:50 PM »
Well I never had a car I could take to campus any of my four and a half years so...

*shrug*

You can do without one, it's just more of a hassle. I'm glad they finally did this, but since it wouldn't have made a difference for me personally I'm not too upset it's after I'm there.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2005, 06:37:59 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 01:38:17 AM »
I also went the whole time without a car.   And it was a pain every single time I needed food.  While the bus system would - kinda - get you close to Macys, it still took forever.  I also agree with stacer.  It took me over an hour to get to work every morning.  And if I missed the bus, I'd be half an hour late by the time the next one came (not a good thing when you teach school).

On the other hand, once the bus system was freely available, I was happy for any way to get me places.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 03:11:00 AM »
Like I said, I never had a car. It took me forever to get where I wanted to go. This is why a bike is a good thing, though hills are always a killer. I usually rode the bus to work in Orem (when I lived in Provo), taking my bike along with, and rode my bike home. It was actually quicker to ride the bike, as long as it was downhill. :) And to get around on campus, I'd usually go half bike/half walking, depending on time of day, because of the stupid bike restrictions. I really wished they had bike paths on campus--that would've saved a lot of frustration.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 01:00:47 AM »
Oh heck. This isn't going to solve the problem. It's going to make many students late to class because they have to cruise around thirty parking lots looking for a free space. There were several times I was late because my PAID parking lot was completely full and I had to wait for a spot to open up. Making all the lots free is just going to majorly compound the problem. Students will end up parking on the streets anyway because the lots closest to the school are already full.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 01:59:32 AM »
Okay, I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who insist that they get a parking spot close to campus. If you have a class that starts at 9 am, you should know that most of the closer parking spots will be filled before then, so you should plan on having to walk further and thus plan to arrive earlier.

I'm really ticked at students blocking my grandma's drive way and keeping an ambulance from being able to get to her just because walking from her house to campus is easier. Incidentally, my grandma has over a dozen cars towed from her house every semester.

As another solution, I think that BYU needs to follow the example of many other colleges and universities by offering free shuttles from the further out parking lots. I know UVSC used to run a shuttle bus that brought students from the distant parking lots into the center of campus. It worked brilliantly. And you knew that if you were in time to make the shuttle then you were in time to make your class.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Legion

• Level 9
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 09:19:16 AM »
I'm really ticked at students blocking my grandma's drive way and keeping an ambulance from being able to get to her just because walking from her house to campus is easier. Incidentally, my grandma has over a dozen cars towed from her house every semester.

thats harsh, not saying she shouldn't do it.  I would love to see the faces of the studnets when they came back from class... ;D
Without death there is no life

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 01:51:48 AM »
Okay, I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who insist that they get a parking spot close to campus. If you have a class that starts at 9 am, you should know that most of the closer parking spots will be filled before then, so you should plan on having to walk further and thus plan to arrive earlier.

As another solution, I think that BYU needs to follow the example of many other colleges and universities by offering free shuttles from the further out parking lots. I know UVSC used to run a shuttle bus that brought students from the distant parking lots into the center of campus. It worked brilliantly. And you knew that if you were in time to make the shuttle then you were in time to make your class.

Yeah. I parked close to campus because I had a broken foot thankyouverymuch. Humor me here. I drove to the parking lot half an hour before class was due to start, giving myself plenty of time to find a spot and walk in my cast to class. The lot was full and remained so until the class before mine got out (at ten minutes 'till) and students walked over to their cars. This left me less than ten minutes to get to class with a broken foot.

So here's my grumpiness for today: Please don't make a specific assumption based on generalities. I'm sorry about the inconsiderate people who park in front of driveways, but just because someone wants to park close to class doesn't mean that they're inconsiderate.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 02:05:42 AM by Old_One »

Legion

• Level 9
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 10:03:41 AM »
but it is a good probability
Without death there is no life

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 10:59:14 AM »

Yeah. I parked close to campus because I had a broken foot thankyouverymuch. Humor me here. I drove to the parking lot half an hour before class was due to start, giving myself plenty of time to find a spot and walk in my cast to class. The lot was full and remained so until the class before mine got out (at ten minutes 'till) and students walked over to their cars. This left me less than ten minutes to get to class with a broken foot.

So here's my grumpiness for today: Please don't make a specific assumption based on generalities. I'm sorry about the inconsiderate people who park in front of driveways, but just because someone wants to park close to class doesn't mean that they're inconsiderate.

I'm sorry you broke your foot, but that's not BYUs problem. Nor does it have much bearing on the parking problems at BYU.

If you have a broken foot you can get a handicap parking permit. I will admit that there is not enough handicap parking spots. Still, I don't see handicapped students parking in front of my grandma's drive way. I see students parking there, and then racing off to class because they are in a hurry, poorly organized, and inconsiderate. Often they are also inconsiderate sports fans or conference attendees.

It comes down to scarcity. There are not enough parking spots for everyone at certain times of the day, during certain days of the week. If you take 7 am classes, or classes starting after 5 pm, you will find that there is plenty of close parking, (except during conferences and other events). BYU cannot provide close parking for all of it's students between 8 am and noon on a weekday. It is simply not justifiable. Unless you think BYU you should start offering valet parking for all 25,000 of it's students.