Author Topic: On the use of "man".  (Read 2368 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
On the use of "man".
« on: June 24, 2005, 02:48:24 AM »
I've a general-use question.  Is it acceptable to call non-humans "man" or "woman" in a multi-racial (speci-al) world?

For example, is it okay to refer to a male Elf as "that man", or to talk about a group of female Klingons as "the women"?

That sort of thing.

I've always wondered about this, and find myself naturally wanting to do it, and specifically trying to avoid it.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: On the use of "man".
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2005, 03:48:51 AM »
We've actually been talking about it at work because I edit the Dragonlance: The New Adventures series. We prefer to stay away from that, as it's confusing. I don't know, though--I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say on that.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 09:34:29 AM »
well, "it depends."

If it happens all the time in your story, go with it.
if anyone takes "man" as meaning "human" and that offends them, though, don't make it general use. ALthough it would be good used by a character who is rough and abrassive.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 12:06:13 PM »
Well, I guess you could refer to them as "the male" or "the females." Course it kind of makes them sound like their animals. Which if the story involves a lot of racism or specieism, then it could be very appropriate.

I agree with e: a lot of it depends on the story. Also, in some way the esteem the narrator holds the race or species.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 12:23:25 PM »
That's the thing--I agree that it makes them sound like animals. Which isn't right in a story in which the elf you're speaking of is one of the main characters, and what racial problems there are don't involve people thinking of other people as animals.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 06:52:11 PM »
Not to continue the animal analogy, but shouldn't it be something like lion and lioness? Elf and Elvess...?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 12:08:58 AM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 10:09:27 PM »
elfette?

Maybe it's like Spanish. El Fo and La Fa.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 12:31:33 AM »
Elfette reminds me of smurfette.  

I guess it works if your elves happen to be small and blue.  

Or you could make it Elvette and give her a guitar.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 12:32:21 AM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 05:33:32 AM »
Well, that doesn't work well when the race is "Vyahira", or even more so, "K'Sharr".
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 07:42:52 AM »
K'sharra (or K'Shannara!)
K'Sharron
K'Sharona (The males would be the K'Naak)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 06:49:05 PM »
That's one way to do it.  =þ

Master Gopher

• Level 11
  • I do not disguise my nerdiness.
    • View Profile
    • HomePage
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 12:03:23 AM »
A friend suggested "Elf" and "Elfe" (On second thoughts he decided it was silly, but I still think that would be ok.)

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 02:12:45 AM »
We've actually been talking about it at work because I edit the Dragonlance: The New Adventures series. We prefer to stay away from that, as it's confusing. I don't know, though--I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say on that.

They make it a point in D&D to show how humans think of other races.  Humans would have no problem saying man and woman even if referring to elves.  In fact, if a human said " you'll want to speak with that man over there" and points to an elf, then the elf said "I"m not a man."  Then the human would be confused at why the elf tries to make the distinction, and would probably tell the elf to chill out or say that he was too stuck up or something.  And I believe elves would use the elven words for male/female.  Humans who used Gutterspeak might also use the elf words for it, but elves usually wouldn't because they are too stuck up to use Gutterspeak.  And Common would be way too neutered for there to be any real different between man/male or woman/female.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.