Author Topic: First Person POV  (Read 3369 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
First Person POV
« on: October 05, 2005, 01:29:17 PM »
There was another first person POV thread a while back, but I wanted to ask a more general question.

What do you guys think generally of writing in first person? It doesn't seem that many novels are written in first-person. I understand that fp limits the storyline, but it also enables the reader to know the main character on a deeper level. Personally, I like that, but then broader plotlines can't be fleshed-out.

Example: What if Robert Jordan only wrote fp from Rand's pov? That would cut the story down considerably (but then would that be a bad thing?). We would see more of what he thought and his actions on an inimate level. But then of course we would only be seeing the other characters through his eyes and wouldn't know them as well.

So I guess my question is, when is it good to write first person pov, and when should one expand the storyline with third person?
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: First Person POV
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 01:43:12 PM »
If you choose to write in first person, it will drive me postal if you switch between first person and then also have a third person character.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 01:54:17 PM »
If you choose to write in first person, it will drive me postal if you switch between first person and then also have a third person character.

I'm talking either/or. When should a story be first person verses writing it as third person instead?
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 01:55:52 PM »
I've heard several writers and editors reccommend writing in the third person simply because it is more comfortable for the reader. we've been conditioned to see third person POV as "story language." First person, a little, but not so much.

I also think that many people are uncomfortable getting to know another person or character on a first person POV level.

I for one, don't like to over-internalize the plight of the main character. I get very frustrated that the character is then being very stupid or not thinking what I would think or is just putting thoughts into my head I don't want. Third Person POV gives me a little bit of a buffer that I don't have with first person POV.

To give an example, people who watch reality TV like to watch contestant so-and-so get voted off, but no one wants to be contestant so-and-so getting voted off.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 02:09:12 PM »
I don't think there's a rule for it. Making a rule is trying to quantify the artistic side of it. Choose the pov based on how you want the story to sound and develop.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 02:14:33 PM »
I wrote one of my novels in first person because of the structure--it took place in 1817, and I wanted to mimic the autobiography/journal entry/frame story popular at the time, seen in such novels as Frankenstein. I didn't end up actually framing it, but I still think the first person worked pretty well.

Another reason it worked in that story is that the plot relied specifically on the main character not knowing everything that was going on. Putting you inside of his head helped make the reader more comfortable with the limited information, because they were operating at the same level as the guy making all of the decisions.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 02:18:33 PM »
I may be in the minority here but I enjoy FP POV stories a great deal.  John D. McDonald, Roger Zelazny, etc... used it all the time.

I think the choice comes down to the kind of story you're trying to tell.  A story where the main character is the focal point of all action and change works best, IMO, with FP storytelling.  I enjoy the immersion I get from a FP narrative, emotional and otherwise.

In a grand world spanning story like Jordan's work, 3rd person is the best choice because the details you need to get to the reader are so broad and all-encompassing that it would be difficult and probably unbelievable to pass it through the eyes of a single FP character.

Now, unlike e, I don't have a problem with the main character in a novel length work being FP and then jumping to secondary characters in a 3rd person voice.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 02:19:43 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 02:23:25 PM »
House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende is a great example of a book that moves from first to third person. It does so seemingly at random, but you figure it out by the end.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 02:25:28 PM »
I hate READING those stories. I've nto seen it work yet, and it confuses who knows what.There's something inherently wrong about the structure.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 04:53:58 PM »
Do you prefer a multi-character story told in FP to be FP for all the characters?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 10:04:38 PM »
Do you prefer a multi-character story told in FP to be FP for all the characters?

Is this a question for me? I have written stories both ways (well, one with two first person characters) and I think it's easier to write, IMO. I think FP for more than one character gets confusing, although it can be interesting in a story. For example, "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver is told from FP between 4 children and it works remarkably well. I would not go that route lightly, and certainly not in the story I'm doing now.

Here's the issue I'm trying to solve:

I'm writing a first person story from only one person's point of view. There aren't multiple fp characters. If I were to write third person the story would be longer and I could potentially write from pov for three characters if I want the story really long.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to write it. I guess I'm wondering if I should break down and re-write in in 3rd person now (I'm at 40k words right now, so to avoid re-writing a longer story later), but I rather like it first person.  Here are the issues:

1. If I flesh out the story I think it would lose its intimacy in that the story really is about 'her', the main character. She is in every scene and is the focal point (unless I change to 3rd person and I could make it more about a few others, too).

2. But then there's a lot of potential to really flesh out the world-building and stuff that I can't do if I focus just on her.

3. But then if I write 3rd person I could lose other stuff, like how her magic works, which is integral to the story.

4. You don't know what the other characters are thinking or their motivations, much might annoy readers.

5. I've found that fp makes the story much shorter, but I'm not sure it's a bad thing, unless it sacrifices making a cohesive story.

Does my conundrum make sense? Am I just being lazy?

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 10:12:00 PM »
I'm too lazy to read the whole thread.  Here's my thoughts:

Third-Person is better for really dynamic or far-reaching storys with lots of characters all involved in lots of subplots.  It is also better for stories with few main characters that the reader isn't supposed to become terribly close to.  Also good for stories in which the main character(s) die at the end...

First-Person is good for things mostly involving two or three people and their relationships rather than a plot of events, such as romance novels.  If there isn't a lot of jumping between what different characters are doing or what is going on in different places first-person is good.  

First-Person is also good if one character is supposed to be known intimately but one is supposed to seem secretive, it makes it so that you can explain one character without explaining the other as well and still not seem negligent.

Epic adventure novels generally seem to go over better in third-person, while intimate love stories do fine in first-person.  Mysteries do fine with either depending on the plot.  I'm done now.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 10:23:38 PM »
Gorgon,
That helped me. Thanks.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 12:14:34 PM »
In your situation, Nessa, I would stick with first person. It sounds like your only two reasons for considering third person are world-building and length; I'm sure you can find a way to show more of the world through first-person if you take a look at it, and length just for the sake of length is never a good idea in writing.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 02:59:21 PM »
Fell, I think you're right. I'm going to stick with first person and try to do the world-building through her eyes.

Gorgon's points were good, too.

So thanks guys.